I've owned a Marshall VS100 combo amp for nearly ten years, now, and I think it's a little past time that the tube should be changed. I fired it up a couple of days ago and I'm getting a lot of hum on the drive channels, which wasn't there before from what I can remember.

I understand (correctly, hopefully) that these amps have a single 12AX7 tube for the preamp. Not sure what brand came stock in the thing, but I was wondering if which brand I replace it with would make a whole lot of tonal difference. Considering the power amp is solid state I kind of doubt it, but I thought I'd throw this out there just to be sure I'm not missing an opportunity to spice this amp up a bit.

Anybody have any experience with retubing a hybrid amp? If so, does tube brand really make much difference tone/gain/whatever-wise in a hybrid?
Change it anyway, but get a service too. Its not a costly procedure to buy a tube, pull the old one out an' stick the new one in, so it shouldnt make much of a difference if it doesn't change your tone dramatically.
Oh, I know. I'm planning on changing it anyway. I was just looking around at the different brands and I know that, in an all-tube amp, the brand of tube can make a pretty significant difference in regards to how the amp sounds. I was just wondering if the same held true for hybrid amps, as well.
^ do you like the tone of the Valvestate???
when i played a Hybrid Marshall i hated the sound.........

well look at JJ's for 12AX7's......
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
It's ... alright for what it is. I don't hate it, but it doesn't blow my socks off by any means. It's a hand-me-down from a friend who quit playing and I hadn't touched the thing in forever, so I thought I'd pull it out of the closet to see what I could get out of it. Not incredibly impressed - I seem to remember it sounding a bit better when he first gave it to me, but I think changing out the tube will help with that.

Either that or my ear was complete **** when I got it and I'm just now realizing the amp sucks. But I'm thinking a fairly loud hum on the overdrive channels points towards a bad tube, yeah? Not to mention that the tube hasn't been changed since it was purchased in the mid- to late-nineties.

Edit:
Regardless, nobody seems to want to touch the real question I had: is it worth worrying about tube brand for a hybrid? Because if not, I've got a friend who I'm pretty sure I could snatch a Sovtek off of for free. On the other hand, if it would make a difference, I'll spend the time and shell out a few bucks for a JJ or EH to see how it sounds.
Last edited by kylegumby at Feb 18, 2009,
These amps come with a single Marshall branded 12AX7. I had an 8100 years ago and I swapped the stock tube for a Sovtek. That made the gain grittier and more raspy sounding. Changed the tone for the better IMO.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I suppose I'll give this a shot with a JJ and see how it works. Fingers crossed.
TUNG SOL!!! i like JJ power tubes, but the tung sol i used for my preamp tube is perfect! well w/o breaking the bank that is....go with tung sol.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Shuguang, Mullard, or Tung Sol. JJ will probably make it a bit darker.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Well, I'm looking to see if I can squeeze a bit more gain out of the Marshall and I've always heard that JJs are higher-gain than most. I hear that Tung-Sol tubes are fairly balanced, but haven't heard much about them other than that.

As for Shuguang and Mullard, I've got no idea. Never heard of them before.

Not a ton of experience with retubing amps, so I'm going on second-hand knowledge, here. Any input on how a Shuguang or Mullard tube would respond?