I was wondering what the differences are between the RR1 & RR5, other than the RR1 being made in the USA. Is there a different feel of the necks finish? Is it worth the extra $$?
USA Jacksons are excellent build quality.
You're paying extra for that.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Mainly yes, your paying for it being USA made, which will be a better worksmanship, more finish options as well which is a big plus.

As to whether its worth it, you have to play them yourself. If you had megabucks then id always go for the better quality, but its a lot of money to most. See how much difference there is, that will be subjective.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
ill tell you from personal experience, its not worth the extra money...the build is near perfect if not perfect...paint job is precise...but overall to me it wasnt worth keeping it and i just sold my rr1 off last week, i originally upgraded from an rr24, there wasnt much difference if any between the two as far as playing
either way im not a fan of the compound radius and im moving on to an alexi 600
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Can you explain the "compound radius" ? Im looking into getting a jackson for the slimmer, sleeker neck design. Looking at getting an RR1 btw.
Quote by Zer0her0
Can you explain the "compound radius" ? Im looking into getting a jackson for the slimmer, sleeker neck design. Looking at getting an RR1 btw.

then you better look at the KV2.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
RR1:
Made in USA
Pearl Inlays and Logo
Quartersawn maple necks
Higher quality woods and finishes
Switchcraft Electronics
Neck binding
Ebony fretboard
OFR and other USA-made pieces of hardware
12 - 16" compound radius finger board (the radius gets progressively wider on a compound for soloing without fretting out at low action and easy chording up at the top of the neck)

RR5:
MIJ
MOTO Inlays, logo is a decal
Half/flat sawn maple necks (not as strong as quartersawn)
Cheap Asian electronics and generic hardware
No neck binding
Rosewood fretboards
14" - 16" Compound radius neck (oddly Jackson's site says 12" - 16" now on Pro's but I'm pretty sure that is a misprint)

EDIT: San Dimas era Jacksons fetch the highest values. Ontario, California are just as good to most people, but some feel the quality slipped when Akai bought the company around 1996, though it seems the extent of their ownership was not felt under Fender bought it in 2002 and quality slippage became apparent. However, current models seem to be tighter than previous ones and are very good instruments. Also, I almost never see a problematic Jackson second hand as they all pretty much get dealt with if they have issues when new. Their quality is pretty much on par with any other mass produced USA guitar now.

EDIT 2: I should add, I would own any USA Jackson from any time frame.
Last edited by CJRocker at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by CJRocker
RR1:
Made in USA
Pearl Inlays and Logo
Quartersawn maple necks
Higher quality woods and finishes
Switchcraft Electronics
Neck binding
Ebony fretboard
OFR and other USA-made pieces of hardware
12 - 16" compound radius finger board (the radius gets progressively wider on a compound for soloing without fretting out at low action and easy chording up at the top of the neck)

RR5:
MIJ
MOTO Inlays, logo is a decal
Half/flat sawn maple necks (not as strong as quartersawn)
Cheap Asian electronics and generic hardware
No neck binding
Rosewood fretboards
14" - 16" Compound radius neck (oddly Jackson's site says 12" - 16" now on Pro's but I'm pretty sure that is a misprint)

Still, MIJ Jacksons are really solid guitars.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Still, MIJ Jacksons are really solid guitars.

For sure! Not taking away from them at all. I would probably opt for a USA (ideally used) though if I could afford one first over a MIJ.
Quote by Pac_man0123
From what i understand, pre-fender years are held in rather high regard. Of course they still make great guitars.

Well, dont let you fool by incorrect sales tales. This is not true. Pre fender quality = post fender quality. No difference at all. So PLAESE dont contribute to this lie.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl