Are there any guitarists known for using certain modes in the blues, if so, who are they? any songs in particular??
Mmmh not certain about which modes, but Joe Bonamassa for sure doesn't stick with the usual pentatonics. Lots of Eric Johnson in his playing.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Gary Moore uses a lot of harmonic minor in his playing.

Can't really think of anyone else.
Quote by urik
Mmmh not certain about which modes, but Joe Bonamassa for sure doesn't stick with the usual pentatonics. Lots of Eric Johnson in his playing.

actually, surprisingly for the most part, Eric Johnson's licks are straight pentatonic, he just phrases things really crazy and switches minor to major in odd places and skipping strings

both EJ and JB play in Dorian fairly often, usually on those big descending licks

hmmm, JImmy page usually puts a dorian slur on some of his notes during all minor blues songs like SInce I've been Loving you or Tea For One

though to be honest the usage is fairly limited

I do often hear that the Mixolydian mode is used well in blues rock, but since I don't know this mode or what it sounds like I can't tell you who actually uses it
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
I dont know this is kinda difficult to answer because players usually dont stick to just one scale or mode. But Derek Trucks and Allman Brothers guitarist have some very soulful mixolydian licks that i love. John Mclaughlin uses the mode in a whole different way and is equally amazing.
"See the Glory Of the Royal Scam"
Quote by Carswell98

I do often hear that the Mixolydian mode is used well in blues rock, but since I don't know this mode or what it sounds like I can't tell you who actually uses it

Major scale with flat 7. I can see this being used in blues/blues rock a lot, idk any examples though.
Steve Vai and Joe Satriani both use Lydian quite a bit.
Eddie Van Halen, Joe Perry and Slash use Mixolydian. Though I doubt that they know they're using it.
Carlos Santana uses Dorian.
Randy Rhoads used Aeolian a lot.
Yngwie uses Harmonic minor mostly. But he will occasionally use Phrygian.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Quote by jrmulley807
Are there any guitarists known for using certain modes in the blues, if so, who are they? any songs in particular??

Quote by seth's daddy
Steve Vai and Joe Satriani both use Lydian quite a bit.
Eddie Van Halen, Joe Perry and Slash use Mixolydian. Though I doubt that they know they're using it.
Carlos Santana uses Dorian.
Randy Rhoads used Aeolian a lot.
Yngwie uses Harmonic minor mostly. But he will occasionally use Phrygian.

Sorry about my previous "mispost". I wasn't paying attention to the catagory I was in.

As for blues guys who use modes; SRV used Dorian and Mixolydian a little. I haven't analyzed their playing, but I can definately hear modal stuff in Warren Haynes, Derek Trucks, and Jimmy Herring's playing.
There's my way and the wrong way.
peter green used to slip between major and minor pentatonics to great effect. he also used minor chords a lot instead of the usual sevenths.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Dorian is considered the "Blues Mode" because it fits well with the pentatonic/blues scale. if you where feeling adventurous you could throw in some Aeolian as well.

also, if you where doing a straight 12 bar blues using dom 7ths you could use the Mixolydian and play over the chords, but then you start getting into more of a jazz mindset.

most blues guys play in the Modes of the Blues Scale, or the 5 blues boxes. the boxes are essentially the modes of the Pentatonic/Blues Scale, just no one bothers to learn that.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Jerry Garcia uses Mixolydian very often. Check out live versions of Big Railroad Blues, Mr. Charlie, US Blues, Truckin', and many others. You'll find some cool mixolydian licks in them.
Calender

Quote by Xaldin714
why does Thin Lizzy sing in english if they are from ireland
Last edited by fireoptic at Feb 22, 2009,
I don't know much theory at all, but I read that Rory Gallagher apart from the major/minor pentatonic he used the Aeolian and Dorian as well as the Mixy one, but they're used more heavily in his rock songs (Bad Penny, Tattooe'd Lady, A Millian Miles Away etc..) rather than his blues. Many of the best artists mix them up otherwise the music can become a little staid over time.
Quote by aradine

most blues guys play in the Modes of the Blues Scale, or the 5 blues boxes. the boxes are essentially the modes of the Pentatonic/Blues Scale, just no one bothers to learn that.

If I understand you right you're saying the different boxes of the pentatonic scale are different modes? That's wrong because you use the same root note no matter which box you use.
Quote by aradine

No man, that's really a swell bunch of false information.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
You probably want to ask this in theory, considering the bulk of what's been said here is basically made up
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish