I didn't like monuments, but the new album Carving Desert Canyons is such a great instrumental album. They have a fairly unique style. Think Pelican meets Cynic meets Between the Buried and Me. Nice slight fusion edge to them thats very subtle but makes all the difference to the depth of the music. They also make good use of counterpoint between the two guitars thats no so common. Just listen to The Great Plains on he link below. They also had an issue recently in Guitar World, which I haven't actually seen.

http://www.myspace.com/scalethesummit
Scale the summit are pretty incredible, i have been into them for a while, both are phenominal guitar players. Chris Letchford normally posts over on SS.org also.

Good to see someone else into them
I love how the music is quite restrained. Its not overly flashy; occasionally they'll give you a glimpse of the apex of their technical ability, but overall especially on the new album its all about atmosphere and the melodic/harmonic quality. It seems thats what is missing from a lot of bands, many feel the need to bombard you with displays of virtuosity without having some kind of harmonic depth to the music. Ah I love this album. It has that euphoric, optimistic feel to it that I enjoy - I get the same feeling from Pelican's 'City of Echoes'.
Verb the Noun!!!

Heh. They sound cool so I guess I'll check them out before dismissing them.
○ ○ ○ ○ ○
Quote by SquareNothing
Verb the Noun!!!

Heh. They sound cool so I guess I'll check them out before dismissing them.

This is an exceptionally good Verb the Noun band though. Been a fan since '06
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
I really like their new album. I actually stayed up untill 12 the night it came out to get it. They are very technical but dont let that disrupt the feel of the songs. I think its a great mix between technical playing and moods/emotions in songs
I wouldn't call it metal, but these guys are pretty good. Good prog rock really.
Anyone who uses an 8-string is a friend of mine
Last edited by Magero at Feb 18, 2009,
I read an article in that one guitar magazine, and thought

"Hey! Music from my hometown that isn't rap or your local core group!" :|

They're good though, very cool music.
They are pretty good from what I've heard. I first heard about them through Guitar World and was quite intrigued with how one guitarist was using and 8-string and another using a 7-string. Its pretty incredible to see how young these guys are, too. One of the guitarists looks 12!
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Quote by Riffomatic_5000
They are pretty good from what I've heard. I first heard about them through Guitar World and was quite intrigued with how one guitarist was using and 8-string and another using a 7-string. Its pretty incredible to see how young these guys are, too. One of the guitarists looks 12!

The blonde dude right? And wierd thing was i just watched that crooked x show thingy just for lols and I see the guitarist for StS in GW, and he looks a lot like the guitarist in Crooked X. Difference:WWWWWAAAYYY MOOOORRREEE TALENt. How he uses and 8 string is beyond me, well maybe cuz ive only been playin for a year and a half so and 8 string sounds too complex for me.
i found this band in GW. what caught my eye was three things:
7 string EBMM JP and 8 string
ENGL powerball
instrumental prog rock.

i was sold on the last one.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
Yeah Carving Dessert Canyons is awesome
Chris is my guitar teacher, and hes just ****ing incredible
Hes really laid back and has an awesome grasp on what it means to be a musician
I cant wait till they wreck the U.S. in the upcoming tour.
Also his 8 string has light up fret markers hahah, useless but still bad ass
Quote by travd92
i found this band in GW. what caught my eye was three things:
7 string EBMM JP and 8 string
ENGL powerball
instrumental prog rock.

i was sold on the last one.

haha, same here. I thought "hooray, I don't have to get used to/put up with vocals that annoy me" And this thread has reminded me to check them out, I looked up one of their songs on youtube but forgot about them. So thank you TS...
deviantART ||| flickr
┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘
last.fm zune
coryklok is my e-hubby! ^_^
rip Billy Mays <3
Just picked up carving desert canyons last night and I'm loving it. I heard these guys a long time ago and thought it was nice but the timing wasn't all there and the guitar had a pretty lacking tone.

I'm really impressed with the new album though, really solid stuff, very digestible while still holding onto the prog and tech roots, it's good to see these guys have really made some big strides ahead as a band. There's definitely an undeniable Mastodon influence on a lot of the tracks too (which is an awesome thing)
Quote by AluminumOxide
Cobain killed himself before he learned to play guitar.

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
Last edited by Rufiothebandito at Apr 16, 2009,
I can't believe how these guys aren't famous already. It's probably mainly because of the lack of a vocalist, which they definitely don't need.