I am using a hot rod deluxe as an amp.

I'm just experimenting at the moment, there is no vocals. but I am interested in learning how to record various pieces of music. What exactly do I need to make this possible please?
an interface, editing/recording software
I'LL ALWAYS NEED THIS
I'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU
You tell us!

What exactly do you want to do?

Record just guitar? Drums?

Full band at once?
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
You need an interface like... They hook up to your computer via USB or Firewire.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMu-0404-USB-2.0-Recording-Interface?sku=242516

or
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-AudioBox-USB?sku=243007

and a mic like this.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM57-InstrumentVocal-Mic?sku=270102

Monitors or headphones would help as well. The interfaces usually come with bundled software to get you going out of the box.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
I bought an SM57.

If I buy an interface will that have the cable that needs to go into the bottom of mic?

And then how does the music transfer onto my computer. lol
Have you read the FAQ? Do that.

Anyway, you'll have to buy an XLR lead to connect your mic. The music will transfer via USB or Firewire as someone already said.
There is poetry in despair.
Depends what your plugging in to!
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by ACDCrule
What exactly is an interface used for? For a direct link or more control or what?

The interface provides mic preamps that raise the volume of the mic signal. They also replace your computers sound card which will give you a huge quality boost to your recordings.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Cheap recording rig: rockband/computer mic and Audacity. Works for me
And on the seventh day, I said "Go to your room!"

check out my jazz tab and ill gladly do a review of any of your stuff

I play the bass clarinet! How 'bout you? PM me!
Quote by willieturnip
Depends what your plugging in to!

Computer, or an interface. I have no idea what I should do.
Quote by CHOCOmoney
Cheap recording rig: rockband/computer mic and Audacity. Works for me

Don't reccomend that to anyone, Someone will actually go out and buy it for that reason...

Get an interface with at least 4XLR(mic) Inputs and at least 8 line ins(or more).
Since you only are planning on recording guitar, get a USB mixer.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
Don't reccomend that to anyone, Someone will actually go out and buy it for that reason...

Get an interface with at least 4XLR(mic) Inputs and at least 8 line ins(or more).

Why the **** does TS need 12 ins for a little experimentation?!
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by timbit2006

That's just excessive; if you only really want to record guitar and vox (and maybe Bass) you really only need a 2-4 input interface actually I would say 4 would be max starting out (if you wanted to do some basic drum recording)

Quote by willieturnip
Why the **** does TS need 12 ins for a little experimentation?!

oh y'know some home recording experimentation involves and orchestra
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by timbit2006

i didnt mean go out and buy rock band. i meant if you have it, the mic works fine, and a cheap alternative would be a computer mic
And on the seventh day, I said "Go to your room!"

check out my jazz tab and ill gladly do a review of any of your stuff

I play the bass clarinet! How 'bout you? PM me!
Quote by timbit2006

See, I don't mean to be a plain dick, but this just backs up the reason why you think willieturnip posted his 'who to listen to' thread.

You've even put that he is only recording guitar, so why would you even think about recommending an interface with that amount of inputs? And he should get a USB mixer as well? Because that would be pointless, along with an interface.

Unless you mean instead of an interface, but why would he do that either ? I don't mean to flame or bring anybody down, I'm just highlighting this because of how you reacted to willie's thread.
There is poetry in despair.