Comments from anyone here that owns it or has played the Vox VT50? Pros and Cons? It's the newer Valvetronix's, not the AD series. I've played acoustic guitar for a number of years but now want to get into electric. This would be my first amp to go with my first electric guitar. (Haven't bought either yet). If you don't like this amp, can you recommend another for me? I want something somewhat small, but that would be loud enough for smaller gigs if the opportunity arose. I was thinking about this amp because it has built in effects and models, plus it's a hybrid so it has tubes in one of the circuits? Whether or not that makes for a better tone than a full solid state, or is just a marketing gimick, you can tell me. I was thinking of getting something with these features since it is my first electric, and it would help me experiment with a variety of tones since I don't really know what sound I'm looking for. I enjoy playing everything from blues to harder rock. I'm not really into metal, so I don't need an amp that is capable of a metal sound. Thanks for any input you can give. Greatly appreciated!
The Valvetronix are imo the best of those modelling amps (Cube, vypyr, spider etc.)

There definetly great starter amps. However, the tube doesn't really do anything. And this amps is reall better for lower gainish stuff then metal so it sounds good for you.
its preety good but since you are buying both amp and guitar lemme ask you a couple of questions.......
FULL Budget for amp??
FULL budget for guitar??
what guitar do you have in mind??? (i hope its not a Gibson)
Can you go used??

and the VT30 is good for what you play........
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
its preety good but since you are buying both amp and guitar lemme ask you a couple of questions.......
FULL Budget for amp??
FULL budget for guitar??
what guitar do you have in mind??? (i hope its not a Gibson)
Can you go used??

and the VT30 is good for what you play........

For the amp I would like to go with 500$ or under. For a guitar, I haven't made a final decision but am currently considering the Schecter PT Fastback. It has the coil-splitting/tapping feature which I am interested in having. I was also looking at the Schecter Tempest classic but it is a shorter scaled guitar and Im a pretty big guy so I was thinking it might be a little small on me. Its not THAT short (24.75) but I think the PT fastback would fit me better at 25.5". I'm open to suggestions though. The max for the guitar is probably 1000$. The PT fastback is around 550$ and the Tempest Classic around 850$. I would prefer something new but if I could find the right used guitar or amp I would consider it. I'm just afraid of getting ripped off. I'm too picky about this stuff. I've been trying to find the right guitar and amp for like 7 months now. haha.

I was looking at the VT50 instead of the VT30 though. I think the only difference is a larger speaker and 20 extra watts. Let me know what you think.
Question:
Do you want an amp that doesnt have built in effects or an amp that does (eg. Vox VT50)??

for guitar i guess you can go with The Tempest..but i have no experience with them so no further comment...... but i do have some experience with Les Pauls with your budget you can afford a good made in japan Tokai or Epiphone Elitist.... but if you want to go with the Schecter and you are happy about it fine with me
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
i own a schecter tempest custom and there the coil tapping is nothing big i just sounds lower then the humbucker mode other wise the gutiar is amazing for its price ..as for the amps the valve tronix is more of a metal sound not really hard rock its got mostly metal settings ifu want hard rock try a kustom quad maby or a crate v

hybrids are a marketing gimmic like peavey has the transtube or w.e it is jsut means they made it close to a tube amp as possible with out tubes

ps i also got a crate 65 rfx its not a tube amp its got built in effects that are decent and is pretty loud ..its brand spanken new i got it for a while ago still has the tag on it if u wanna buy it message me..........goodluck picken one out
smacking bone kydd
id check out the forums on valvetronix.net for info on the vox - many people there will swear that the valve in the valve reactor circuit of the valvetronix amps certainly arent a gimmick - i think there are a few threads in the faq section explaining how it is implemented.

Ive heard people gig with the older ad60vtx amps and the tone is fantastic from these (the normal ADxxVT's arent comparable to these as they were built as practice amps, not gigging amps) and apparently the new VT is their best modeller yet (according to the sites administrator/vox expert anyway!) so I presume they would sound fantastic to gig with

I personally think the vox is perfect for you if you want to experiment with different tones and effects etc. I think going for the suggested Classic 30 wouldnt be a good idea unless that is exactly the tone you want, you dont care about effects and you can play VERY loud.

The Vox would be an excellent starter amp, but you might find that it would suit you in the long run too. Ive owned a JCM800, Laney LC15r, Orange Tiny Terror and a Vox AD50VT and im currently saving up for a VT30 because out of all of those the vox was the best for me as it could be played quietly and also gigged with, has a range of sounds to suit my range of styles and has simple but good sounding effects. Unfortunately I wasnt quite 100% fond of the AD50VT as I wasnt too fussed on the higher gain amp models, but with the new VT series this is solved.

The nicest tone I ever achieved was with my old Tonelab LE by vox. Their modelling is great. The Sweet Child O' Mine in my profile was recorded using that

edit: I should say, tone-wise, that if volume isnt an issue and the tone from say a Classic 30 or a JCM800 was what you were after, and you could really crank it, they the tone of the vox would be NO match whatsoever, but through my experience it was very rare to get that tone out of it as in my circumstances, cranking was never really an option without being told to turn it down so as not to shatter peoples pint glasses or something. Dont expect a good practice/bedroom tone from the higher powered valve amps unless you hate/ dont have neighbours
Last edited by slashs_#1_fan at Feb 20, 2009,
I used to own a Vox and I'm not convinced the valve is not just a marketing gimmick. In an all tube amp the valve is beign hit with 250-300volts, but in the Vox it's run at something like 9v.

Same goes for the attenuator - why would a solid state power amp need attenuation??
cant say im convinced either, but some swear by it on that forum. I read that the valve in the blues (AD60VT/AD120VT) ran at something like 216volts - there is something on there by a tech guy who has looked at the circuitry or whatever that shows that the valve is run properly in the blue series (but not the tonelab - it is only 9v in there)

non of that matters if you like the tone though. It ultimately boils down to getting what you like the sound of - the fact that there is debate over whether the valve is used properly suggests that some think it sounds good enough to be... TS should try play as many amps as he can
Quote by fergus74
I used to own a Vox and I'm not convinced the valve is not just a marketing gimmick. In an all tube amp the valve is beign hit with 250-300volts, but in the Vox it's run at something like 9v.

Same goes for the attenuator - why would a solid state power amp need attenuation??

I'll tell you one thing for sure, the two volume knobs are backwards. I read through the manual and it tells you (and so does some common sense) that the volume knob in the amp model section is the knob that overdrives the preamp tube, and that the master volume simply controls the overall decibel level of the sound. THIS IS NOT TRUE.

Mistake or not, it IS the master volume that overdrives the preamp tube. I am so much happier with my amp now that I have the master volume set around 2 o'clock and the pre-amp low enough to not be a nuisance. I can get that nice breakup and it's very sensitive to the adjustments in the guitar's volume knob.

Try it, really. You won't be disappointed.

(Also, btw, these amps cry and beg for in-loop EQs I'm real happy with mine with a GE-7 and a Sonic Maximizer in the loop)
Guitars
1996 Rickenbacker 360 Jetglo "Christine"
2003 Schecter S1 Blackjack w/ SD JB/59 "Lenore"
Gear
Lopo Line 1x12 w/ WGS British Lead 80
Blackstar HT-5 (buying)
Pedals: GE-7 EQ | BBE SS | V847
I really love my VT100 although the 2x12 speaker setup creates a bit more low end in the tone that I chose to counter with an EQ pedal in the FX loop. If you're looking at the VT30 1x10, I think you'll be super happy with the tone right out of the box. If you have any specific questions about the amp, let me know, I'll be happy to help.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.