Page 1 of 2
I got a chance to play the new 3120 and a new 6505 (it was the plus version, so I know its gotta a slightly smaller amount of gain). I've heard that the 3120 is essentially the new XXX head, but when I compared the 3120 and 6505+, the 3120 had more gain on tap than the 6505+.

Did Peavey keep the same 3 channels that the original XXX had or what? Because, as far as I know, the 5150/6505 series is supposed to the most high-gain tube amp they manufacture.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
The XXX is basically a brighter version of the 6505 with a little less gain and quite nice cleans if I remember rightly...
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
The XXX is basically a brighter version of the 6505 with a little less gain and quite nice cleans if I remember rightly...

Yeah, thats what I've always heard, but I've never actually played through a XXX before.

So how is the 3120 different from the XXX? Because it did have some more gain than the 6505+.

Did the 3120 have El34 tubes when you played it??
cuz the XXX has 6L6's and if you compare them both the 3120 wins.....
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
i played on it at my GC, it has a darker ultra channel with less fizz than the 6505's, and wasn't as bright as the XXX. The crunch channel wasn't as dark as the XXX's either. I really like it, and would grab one up if i had the cash
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by Metalcoresoul
Yeah, thats what I've always heard, but I've never actually played through a XXX before.

So how is the 3120 different from the XXX? Because it did have some more gain than the 6505+.

Well the 6505+ has less gain than the 6505. The 3120's gain is probably in between the 6505 and the 6505+.
Quote by 667
the 6505+ has less gain than the 6505.

Hardly.
The difference is negligible, I doubt you could fit an amp's difference inbetween the two.
I'm not expecting as much gain as the 6505 but I'm thinking it may be a bit more articulate?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

What were the prices TS? How were the cleans on them both?

Sorry for the big type, I'm just uber curious on this stuff. I have decisions to make dammit!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^ GC is selling them for $999 for the halfstack..... its a promo but for only a limited time....
feel free to add me
I played one, and personally I found it to be pretty good, especially for the price. Also, Guitar Center apparently throws in a Peavey Windsor 4x12 for free. I know it's not the best cab, but hey, it's free.
Quote by Yngwi3
Hardly.
The difference is negligible, I doubt you could fit an amp's difference inbetween the two.
I'm not expecting as much gain as the 6505 but I'm thinking it may be a bit more articulate?

I know, but it is what it is. I agree that the extra gain in the 6505 is negligible because it's not useful beyond a certain point. Certainly the 6505+ has more than enough gain that anyone would ever need. I think 6505+ has an extra tube in the pre that smooths is down a bit (less saturation at equal levels compared to the 6505)
Last edited by 667 at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by 667
I know, but it is what it is. I agree that the extra gain in the 6505 is negligible because it's not useful beyond a certain point. Certainly the 6505+ has more than enough gain that anyone would ever need. I think 6505+ has an extra tube in the pre that smooths is down a bit.

The extra preamp valve shouldn't do a thing to the poweramp section, which is where the extortionate amount of gain comes from. It gives the amp a little more headroom, making the amp SLIGHTLY (and it really is negligible, you need to listen to them against one another and even then you need to listen closely) lighter in terms of gain.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^ GC is selling them for $999 for the halfstack..... its a promo but for only a limited time....

I thought the 6505+ 112 was a combo? As was the 3120? Did someone put crack in my cereal?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^GC is selling the 3120 for $999 with a Peavey cabinet just for a short period of time and i think Peavey is releasing a 3120 combo for the holidays
the 6505+ 1x12 IS a combo for $500
and your crack is under your bed not on your cereal.......
feel free to add me
Quote by Yngwi3
The extra preamp valve shouldn't do a thing to the poweramp section, which is where the extortionate amount of gain comes from. It gives the amp a little more headroom, making the amp SLIGHTLY (and it really is negligible, you need to listen to them against one another and even then you need to listen closely) lighter in terms of gain.

I don't think the TS was talking about power tube saturation and I wasn't either.

I was just stating the fact that the 6505 has more gain. The way I interpret the OP is that the TS assumes the gain stages of the 6505 and the 6505+ are the same and is making a blanket comparison to the 3120.
Last edited by 667 at Feb 18, 2009,
****, no, wait...
Argh bugger it, I know what I mean but I've just f*cked it up
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3
****, no, wait...
Argh bugger it, I know what I mean but I've just f*cked it up

No, no, I know where you are coming from. If we were talking reasonable and useful gain, the 6505+ has it in spades...so the gain argument is moot.. i was just trying to inform the OP.
Quote by 667
No, no, I know where you are coming from. If we were talking reasonable and useful gain, the 6505+ has it in spades...so the gain argument is moot.. i was just trying to inform the OP.

Thank you for your concern, but if you read my original post, I state that I know the 6505+ has a slightly "smaller" amount of gain compared to the 6505 .

I also played this amp a couple of times at the GC. I am saving up to get it right now, but, wow, I really like the distortion on it. It's tight, but at the same time heavy and dark.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Quote by CarbonDeath
I also played this amp a couple of times at the GC. I am saving up to get it right now, but, wow, I really like the distortion on it. It's tight, but at the same time heavy and dark.

Dark you say? So more like a 6505 than a XXX?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

there is a thread named exactly the same with the same content that came up just before this. Woops

EDIT - Oh yours came first
Last edited by vitchb at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by Yngwi3
Dark you say? So more like a 6505 than a XXX?

The 6505 seems a little brighter, and I play that amp daily since its my friends. I remember playing the XXX once and thinking its too bright. This amp could probably eq the same tone from the XXX, but overall, I think its better.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
I'm interested in these amps, but I think I'm gonna keep on truckin towards an ENGL of some sort
Just interesting, sounds like a great deal and something I wanna try. Because if all the hype is true, it'd be a great amp to recommend for the price I'd think.
The 6505+ barely has less gain than the 6505 on the lead channel. It's the green channel most people are talking about. The 6505 has a lot more gain on the green channel. The 3120 is a xxx with el34's and it does have more gain than the 6505. It is a lot different though. It's a lot more saturated sounding. It's more like a rectifier to me with more gain. I'd honestly take the 3120 over my 6505.
Quote by Metalcoresoul
I got a chance to play the new 3120 and a new 6505 (it was the plus version, so I know its gotta a slightly smaller amount of gain). I've heard that the 3120 is essentially the new XXX head, but when I compared the 3120 and 6505+, the 3120 had more gain on tap than the 6505+.

Did Peavey keep the same 3 channels that the original XXX had or what? Because, as far as I know, the 5150/6505 series is supposed to the most high-gain tube amp they manufacture.

I believe the 6505+ is the only model out now, aside from the new lower wattage model announced this year. The regular 6505 isn't in production anymore.

I'm kind of excited to try the 3120. With less fizzy gain as the 6505+ and a little less bright as the XXX, it should be a sweet amp IMO.
Last edited by caraluzzo at Feb 23, 2009,
How are the cleans on the 3120 and is it 3 channels?
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
the 3120 has slightly more gain than the XXX since it has EL34's
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
the 3120 has slightly more gain than the XXX since it has EL34's

hardly, perhaps earlier power amp distortion but more gain? thats in the preamp.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by metallicafan616
hardly, perhaps earlier power amp distortion but more gain? thats in the preamp.

true
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
just to let you all know, the only difference between the 3120 and XXX is the box and that the 3120 comes with el34s.
fact.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
just to let you all know, the only difference between the 3120 and XXX is the box and that the 3120 comes with el34s.
fact.

Yeah people have opened them up and apparently they are the same. The weird thing is the 3120 does sound a lot tighter to me. It might be just the tubes or bias.
Quote by hcsn2008
Yeah people have opened them up and apparently they are the same. The weird thing is the 3120 does sound a lot tighter to me. It might be just the tubes or bias.

it probably is, im guessing. they are EXACTLY the same.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
it probably is, im guessing. they are EXACTLY the same.

that's what I hear online. I've saw forums where people have said they opened them up and most of it is the same. I have not saw it myself so I don't know if it is or not. It could still look the same inside and they could have made it sound tighter.
well, when your trying out amps at a store, keep in mind that there are INFINITE things affecting it. it may have sounded tighter because it was biased better, the tubes were newer, you had it set better, all those things. one of them might be made with better quality or something, hopefully peavey will shed some light on this.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by Shredx
How are the cleans on the 3120 and is it 3 channels?

A little muddy, but still nicer than the cleans you'd get from a 5150, 6505, or XXX.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
well, when your trying out amps at a store, keep in mind that there are INFINITE things affecting it. it may have sounded tighter because it was biased better, the tubes were newer, you had it set better, all those things. one of them might be made with better quality or something, hopefully peavey will shed some light on this.

Well they actually improved the 6505's over the older ones also. Although if you open it up it'll look exactly the same. Like I said, I really don't know if the amps are exactly the same. I have just heard people online say that and some of these guys may not know exactly what they are looking like. I never believe anything I read on here.
I imagine the 3120 visually looks the same as the XXX once opened up. But I think there are circuitry differences that help change the voicing a little bit.

Whoever said the regular 6505 isn't in production anymore is wrong.

Also, the 3120 has a boatload of gain, but not more than the 6505. Remember that the 3120 only has 3 gain stages, while the 6505 has 5.
The 3120 just has more usable and containable gain.
Sounds like a great amp, but I'll stick with my EL34 loaded JSX.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I know this is old but I recently looked at the 6505+ and the 3120 and thought I'd add my thoughts.

Have been a long time Peavey guy starting with my first half stack (Peavey Butcher). Been running rack gear but I've really become a minimalist - a wah, a little delay, a little chorus for cleans. Therefore, I've decided to go back to an amp head.

Never did try the XXX when it was in production. A/B'd the 3120 and 6505 at my local guitar dealer. It was really hard to decide which I liked better. Both are high gain amps, both sound great. In fact, I was able to dial in a setting on the 3120 that sounded pretty darm close to the 6505 but with that EL34 grind. Big difference, outside of the slighty different tonal charactistics of the power tubes was the celans. The 3120's cleans sound a little nicer than the 6505+'s. I played a 7 string through the 3120 and it had good bottom end without any mudiness. Thought that the crunch and ultra channels sounded pretty close with the ultra being a little looser. Also thought that the 3120 had about as much gain as the 6505+. I had it set on about 4-5 and that was plenty.

Going to purchase this week and will test drive them side by side again but I'll likely go with the 3120. That leaves me with no other choice than to save my pennies to buy a 6505+ as a backup
Quote by Metalcoresoul

XXX is the highest gain amp in the world.
Page 1 of 2