OK, I am a little new on this, so bare with me. For one of my lessons, my instructor wants us to compose a song in garageband. (I have the program and my Apple, so that's not my problem). Obviously, its the guitar input. He told me to go to the Apple website and buy a MIDI device. I see two:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TQ919ZM/A?mco=MzE2OTkyNw

and

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TB084LL/A?mco=MzE2OTkzMw

I am noticing, though, that some of the reviews on the cheaper one do not work with OS 10.5.6 which is troubling.

Is M-Audio pretty much the only game in town for this? I do not need professional quality, just some that works and it functional.

Any suggestions? (Sorry is this has been hashed over before but I could not find the right thread.)
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
I just use a normal guitar cable with a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and I plug that right into the mic port.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ValoRhoads
I just use a normal guitar cable with a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and I plug that right into the mic port.

Any chance of blowing out the sound board on the laptop??
1999 Gibson LP R9
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Quote by rockisalive
try this presonus http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=53 it should be able to work with garageband

Do you think that is better than the M-Audio (the top one) as discounted it is about $116.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Quote by tona_107
look at his gear. he's on ug therefore he's fourteen and he has all that. made of money is definitely a strong possibility.

I am willing to spend up to $200 or so, so I am guessing I am not going to go the plain cable route. (Plus I have heard you need to be careful on the direct cable hookup blowing up your audio card.) I plan to run this on my Mac Book Pro.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
What you need is an interface. No M-audio is not the only company in the business. I would Check out the E-mu 0404 or 0202, Presonus Inspire since you Mac has a firewire input or Presonus firebox. You will probably want to mic you amp so check out the Shure SM57.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by Led man32
What you need is an interface. No M-audio is not the only company in the business. I would Check out the E-mu 0404 or 0202, Presonus Inspire since you Mac has a firewire input or Presonus firebox. You will probably want to mic you amp so check out the Shure SM57.

Thanks. going to work now. . . .
1999 Gibson LP R9
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Your taking a course in garageband?

Why not logic/pro tools?
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by willieturnip
Your taking a course in garageband?

Why not logic/pro tools?

A lot of places offer a "music technology" course, that ends up just teaching you how to do composing with loops in either Acid or Garageband, I got sucked into one of those once, I eneded up just skipping all of the classes and doing the assignments at home, I guess it serves as a good basic introduction to how computer oriented composing/arranging works.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Ok, ended up buying M-Audio Fast Track Pro. (Pretty much since the local store only carried that and gave me a 30-day trial.)

Problem is I installed all the updated drivers for Mac OS 10.5.6 and I can see the device in the Control Panel, but it does not register any sound coming in on the Line In. Interestingly, I plugged some headphones into the front of the device and cannot hear anything.

To be clear, I do not have to do anything other than run the cable from the guitar to the device, right?
1999 Gibson LP R9
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Quote by jcoley2
Ok, ended up buying M-Audio Fast Track Pro. (Pretty much since the local store only carried that and gave me a 30-day trial.)

Problem is I installed all the updated drivers for Mac OS 10.5.6 and I can see the device in the Control Panel, but it does not register any sound coming in on the Line In. Interestingly, I plugged some headphones into the front of the device and cannot hear anything.

To be clear, I do not have to do anything other than run the cable from the guitar to the device, right?

Go into preferences in Garage Band. Then to Audio/Midi and choose the M-Audio device as the Audio input and the output. Yeah you can do this plugged straight in or you can mic your amp if you have a mic. If not you will have to use software for effects and such.
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by Led man32
Go into preferences in Garage Band. Then to Audio/Midi and choose the M-Audio device as the Audio input and the output. Yeah you can do this plugged straight in or you can mic your amp if you have a mic. If not you will have to use software for effects and such.

I did that but there is no sound input.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
No sound input meaning the M-Audio is not listed or you are still not getting any sound, or you do not see sound input in preferences.
Quote by jcoley2

Nope. I still record most of/all of my bass parts like this, and I used to do the guitar like that too. Just buy the cable, plug it in the back, set it all up to record line in and away you go.
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by Led man32
No sound input meaning the M-Audio is not listed or you are still not getting any sound, or you do not see sound input in preferences.

I mean when I got to Control Panel/Sound I see the M-Audio device listed as an Input but as I play, there is no sound on the indicator on the bottom, regardless of the two Inputs I select and regardless as to whether I input my guitar cable into the 1 or 2 input.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Quote by jcoley2
I mean when I got to Control Panel/Sound I see the M-Audio device listed as an Input but as I play, there is no sound on the indicator on the bottom, regardless of the two Inputs I select and regardless as to whether I input my guitar cable into the 1 or 2 input.

Alright after you select the input and output then you have to go to track/new track/real instrument. You should then see a new track pop up. Now plug your guitar into channel 1. With the new track selected go to the bottom right corner and it should say monitor make sure that is on. Also on the track on the far left there is a headphone icon make sure that is selected. Then you should be good to go. I just did all of this and it works fine. Oh and to hear anything you will also have to select the record icon to the left of the headphone icon.
Last edited by Led man32 at Feb 19, 2009,
Quote by Led man32
Alright after you select the input and output then you have to go to track/new track/real instrument. You should then see a new track pop up. Now plug your guitar into channel 1. With the new track selected go to the bottom right corner and it should say monitor make sure that is on. Also on the track on the far left there is a headphone icon make sure that is selected. Then you should be good to go. I just did all of this and it works fine. Oh and to hear anything you will also have to select the record icon to the left of the headphone icon.

Led Man--thanks. I did not have the monitor selected nor the headphone icon on the track but it does not seem to make a difference. There is no signal coming from the guitar. The way I can tell is when I look in system preferences and select the M-audio device, I should be able to strum the guitar and the sound should register on the monitor in the sound option, but it does not.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Got on with tech support and figured it out--what a dope I am. I was supposed to plug the guitar cable into the front--I was pluggin back. I thought the front was for Mics only.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Ha yeah I didn't really think to ask that. But glad I could help.
Quote by jcoley2

N/M then mate, mine's a mac mini, it has that port. i didn't realize you were using a mac book. If that's the case then you need a chord that will connect the axe to USB. Check out some shops, they aren't that rare.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!