I have these two chords that i think sound pretty good together and have looked up the names of them but can't figure out what goes with them to finish out the progression and other chords for a possible chorus and bridge. the chords I have are....

e---0---0---
B---0---0---
G---9---6---
D---9---7---
A---0---0---
E---x---x---

the first is what gootar.com calls an Esus4 and the second is an Aadd9
any help would be greatly appreciated
woah.. that depends on where u wanna take the song.. not just musically.. but also lyrically..
you could try this:

e---0---0---
B---0---0---
G---9---6---
D---9---7--- as many times as u like then:
A---0---0---
E---x---x---

e---0---0---
B---0---0---
G---5---4---
D---5---5---
A---0---0---
E---x---x---

or

e---0---0---0
B---0---0---0
G---5---4---2
D---5---5---2
A---0---0---0
E---x---x--- x

or

e---0---0---0
B---0---0---0
G---9---7---6
D---9---9---7
A---0---0---0
E---x---x--- x
It's your song. Try things out until you find something you like. You can't expect strangers to write your songs for you...
so gettin advice from those who know more than me is against the rules huh? sad sad world u live in
Quote by rockisalive
so gettin advice from those who know more than me is against the rules huh? sad sad world u live in

Not at all. Asking people to create your work of art for you is ridiculous, however.

EDIT: But since you've pissed me off, here's what I would do:

E---0---0---0---0
B---0---0---0---0
G---9---8---6---4
D---9---9---7---6
A---0---0---0---0
E---x---x---x---x

Feel free to take the ideas that I've come up with as a result of my personal influences and personal sense of what is aesthetically pleasing and use it for your own benefit because you do not have the creativity to come up with something yourself.
Last edited by michal23 at Feb 18, 2009,
when i use what u have "created" and sell it to some watered down pop singer who butchers it and makes it the laughing stock of the music industry ill remember you thanks
What comes next is pretty much open to anything man. You really have an Asus2 and an Aadd9, which, if you don't know, are basically the same chords except the second one has a C# in it. You could continue with changing the notes on the two strings you're fretting and leaving the three open strings as droning notes but that will give you what sounds like just variations on Asus2.. which could sound cool or could get boring. Just keep doing what you were doing when you created what you have now.
Nor less I deem that there are Powers
Which of themselves our minds impress;
That we can feed this mind of ours
In a wise passiveness.
--Wordsworth

last.fm
IWhat I would do in a situation like that where I have an intial inspiration of one or two chords I haven't used before and am not sure where to go is I would look at what the essence of what I'm playing is and where the movement comes from.

In this situation it seems the A B and high E strings are all static notes. That doesn't mean they have to stay that way. The first shape on the 9th frets look like a part of an E chord or possible part of a Bsus4 but because of the open B and E strings ringing E becomes the fundamental so I would view that particular shape as an inverted fifth off E.(EDIT: duh as the guy above points out it's an Asus2 or an E5 over an A bass whatever). The second shape is a major third in A with a B thrown in.

So the movement is coming from a root movement E to A and of course the introduction of a C#. Pretty simple stuff. It's in A too the pedal bass takes care of that. As a vamp it sounds good V-I usually does but it definitely needs something else to give it more movement.

Options for what comes next? - endless.

You could simply throw in some full chords.
I like the way those two chords sound repeated twice then followed with a open C D then an A. (That C would be a borrowed bIII from the parallel minor). You could use all sorts of full chords.

Maybe you want to use a chain of fifths? Just precede the pattern you've got with the same pattern up two frets.
Then you could complement that with a Bb - C - F - A then Bb C F C#. The C# taking us back into the our chain of fifths pattern.

or maybe you want to keep the basic pattern and just build elaborations on it by creating interest through introducing other notes as suspensions or extensions into the mix. I'm not going to tab them out for you as it's a pain in the ass but try 10th fret B string over the E chord making it a kind of Esus4 or the 7th fret of the B string making it an Em. You could drop the E on the E string back to a D and imply a kind of E7 chord then go to an A sus4 by keeping the D when you move to that second shape before dropping it down to a C#. You could add in a G on the 7th fret B string of that A chord to give you an A7 or you could add an F at the sixth fret on the B string to make it an A6 sound.

I seriously came up with about fifteen ideas within five minutes of playing. Just play around with the pattern and different ideas in the key of A. Stum it fingerpick it whatever. You might have a specific way you want it to sound a specific strumming pattern or someting but playing with it in different ways loosens you up and you start trying different things to go with it. Then you can take what you find and put it back in to the original strumming pattern.

Anyway best of luck.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Feb 18, 2009,