I have a VYPYR 75 watt and I'm thinking it would sound better with a better speaker.

Has anyone tried this with the VYPYR?

Any recommendations on speakers? I play mostly metal and hard rock tones but I like to mess around with a variety of different tones.
"If it bleeds we can kill it."

LTD MH-400NT
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VYPYR 75
Line 6 POD
I Doubt you could change the speakers because the amp is digital and the speaker is probably made for only the vypyr
Gear
Ibanez GRG170DX
Bluerock Begginers Strat
Fender Acoustic
Bluerock Begginers 10W Amp
Lne 6 Spider 3 15
Gear to come
Les Paul Copy(Fixing up to be good)
^ i think the stock speaker is the only speaker that is capable for the vypyr since its a modeling amp.......... but i really dont know.....
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I put a 10" HH Invader that came from my Laney LC15 into my Vypyr15. Sounds great. I don't think that being a modeling amp is going to restrict you in your speaker choice.
Quote by fly135
I put a 10" HH Invader that came from my Laney LC15 into my Vypyr15. Sounds great. I don't think that being a modeling amp is going to restrict you in your speaker choice.

I think he's right. I put a vintage 30 into my vypyr and it sounds amazing. Really makes the amp shine. I don't think it being a modelling amp has anything to do with what speaker it would use. And if it does, then nothing bad has happened since i switched them.
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Wampler Triple Wreck Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
i don't think it makes any sense to do a speaker swap because the amp is already modelling other speakers in the built in modelling.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Thats true but don't you think think those models will sound better out of a top of a line speaker as opposed to a cheply made peavey speaker they put in all their amps? To my ears the v-30 sounds a lot better than the blue marvel.
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Wampler Triple Wreck Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
Yeah it'll obviously sound alot better.
It's the head doing the modeling, not the speaker,
so I don't understand why it wouldn't work.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
i don't think it makes any sense to do a speaker swap because the amp is already modelling other speakers in the built in modelling.
Speaker modeling is really just a form of EQ. A better speaker does make a difference.
Yup i run my pod x3 thourgh an eminence governor. Its sound 20 time better then direct recording.
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by fly135
Speaker modeling is really just a form of EQ. A better speaker does make a difference.

true.. but personally i think the vypyr is a good amp but it makes more sense to just save for a high quality tube amp than to upgrade it. even if you upgraded the speaker of a vypyr, you'd still be gas'ing for one of the high gain amps it models eventually imo.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by tomsy49
I think he's right. I put a vintage 30 into my vypyr and it sounds amazing. Really makes the amp shine. I don't think it being a modelling amp has anything to do with what speaker it would use. And if it does, then nothing bad has happened since i switched them.

Im thinking of going with the vintage 30. Im hoping for the same result. I dont think it being a modeling amp has anything to do with what speaker is in it.

Peavey is notorious for crappy speakers.

LTD MH-400NT
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VYPYR 75
Line 6 POD
Last edited by Devildriver32 at Feb 18, 2009,
^I will look into the veteran 30, thanks.

LTD MH-400NT
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VYPYR 75
Line 6 POD
What are you guys talking about? The Blue Marvel is a pretty lackluster speaker, and the amp would most likely HUGELY benefit from a good speaker. Also, amp modeling: Unless it says so, it's just the amp. no speakers.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Hate to bump and old thread, but for the people who did swap it, did you stay at 8" or did you go for a bigger speaker?
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Quote by superkal1
I Doubt you could change the speakers because the amp is digital and the speaker is probably made for only the vypyr

Rubbish, I swapped out the speaker in my AD30VT. Problem with modelling amps is that some models will sound better than others. It might be better to get a PA style speaker with a flatter frequency response, but that will probably be too fizzy. it's a tough decision.

true.. but personally i think the vypyr is a good amp but it makes more sense to just save for a high quality tube amp than to upgrade it.

Cost of good Eminence speaker $40-60
Cost of high quality tube amp $600+ even after you sell the Vypyr

Last edited by GURREN LAGANN at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
true.. but personally i think the vypyr is a good amp but it makes more sense to just save for a high quality tube amp than to upgrade it. even if you upgraded the speaker of a vypyr, you'd still be gas'ing for one of the high gain amps it models eventually imo.
Eventually, yeah. Those3 stock Sheffield speakers kinda suck, and IMO any peavey cabinet should have speakers swapped. It would be a lateral move to do it, i thinks.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
fly135 the15 watt comes with a generic speaker so upgrading should be ok.  The 40 watt and up however, might require a specially voiced speaker because I did notice that these come with a speaker labeled vypyr vip.   I was just looking to upgrade my bedroom vypyr 15 with a better speaker, seeing as the one that came on board is very cheap and generic looking with a very small magnet. Leading me to believe these are not as specifically designed as their larger sister products.  I will reppost to see how it sounds after the upgrade.