Well, what can I say? All you guys here inspired me, that and another guy I know. (who just built everything he wanted.)

So I decided to try and make something, which is pretty cool. So, I have alot of spare wood around here, I live in France btw, just to let you know, in the country, so there is alot of spare stuff floating around. I stumbled on some oak in the barn here, it actually hurt, because I actually stumbled. Now it was in a plank about 15 feet long, 2 wide, and about 3 inches thick. I cut off a sizable chunk with a chainsaw, then I took it to a woodworking friend I know, we cut it in half, planed it down to about 2 inches, ( he has a magical table , glued it together again, and BAM , I have a body blank. Even though it will be a heavy arse piece of wood, I don't really mind, I play an LP, so weight is fine.

Now specs wise, I'm thinking fixed bridge, because I have a Squier (don't we all), and I rarely, if ever, use the tremolo. Now I ordered a neck, (don't hate me), Wilkinson tuners, Roller string trees and a Pickup, a GFS Crusader to be exact, I really just liked the name, and that I'm trying to do it as economically as possible. Hardware is gold. Any recommendations for hardtail bridges? As for electronics, I was thinking just a simple tone and volume, but maybe I thought, why not put a single coil, or humbucker in single coil size in the neck. Maybe a coil split.

By the way, updates will be slow, as after ordering those parts I mentioned, I am flat broke, and I can't throw myself at the mercy of my buddy every weekend. Even as I would have to borrow his router, as I can't find our one. But I do have a spokeshave, rasp, and all manner of hand tools .

Anyhoo, pics:

This be my first body idea, but I'm leaning to more PRS double cut carved top.

Wood, heh, wood. No I joke, but seriously, this is in fact wood. Its been sanded a bit, the grain is nice.

This is it before sanding.

So you guys, and girls, if such a thing really exists here, stay tuned, because I'll be asking ALOT of questions as I go.

Damn questions...

Thankee,

Ben

(you can call me ben btw, I much prefer it)
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
I like that body shape... its unique, cant wait to see more!
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
:O

cant wait
im going to hate this when i get home and look at it (dial up )
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
I literally sketched out an almost identical shape for my first build a couple of days ago lol

Except mine is a seven string.

That is some interesting wood though. Nice grain
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
what is that wood anyway?
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
he said oak....
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
looks like it has potential my guitars oak (mainly) and its not all that much heavier with the size of a guitar not being all that bit u will prolly match weight of a les paul but nice lump of wood looks like it will be quite good to work with i shall be keeping an eye on this one

(i dont blame you for buying a neck bloody pain to make)
dude, are you going to trim the edges of that wood?
Cause that porous paler stuff on the edges is sapwood and will completely **** up your guitar if you leave it on.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by cukd7x-a2-
I like that body shape... its unique, cant wait to see more!

Thanks, although I cheated, drew around my strat and fiddles for an hour with it.
Quote by nowa90

cant wait
im going to hate this when i get home and look at it (dial up )

sorry, I feel for you and Invader Jim, dial up really sucks.

Quote by Boogie Man
dude, are you going to trim the edges of that wood?
Cause that porous paler stuff on the edges is sapwood and will completely **** up your guitar if you leave it on.

All shall be revealed...

...Right Now!!

As I was lazy yesterday, I didn't post THESE pictures:

This was me going at it with a jigsaw, needless to say, that after 15 minutes, I wasn't making any progress..

So I got out my favourite safety equipment.

Went to my table saw...

AND ATTACKED IT!! With care and precision. I'm going to have to buy a biggish router bit and find ours, as I went at it with a rasp and handplane after, and again, I made no progress...

And to all you others, ta for the feedback. Anyone got any opinions on putting in a Fuzz?

Salaam.

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Lookin' good, it's nice to see someone using an unusual wood (for a guitar) without having loads of people complain!

And putting in a fuzz, well it depends how much room you have, if you think it'll be heavy, the amount you take out to stick the circuitry and battery in will reduce the weight a lot!
It's a good idea, but it may be a bit tricky.
my rule of thumb for inserting effects into guitars involves 4 questions you need to ask yourself.

is it feasible?
how often do you actually use it?
is it necessary for you to have it by your fingers?
does it serve any useful purpose other than looks?

if the answer to 3 of those is yes then i'd go ahead and drop it in. but thats just me and i'm kinda practical in that regard.
regarding the fuzz

i think that sometimes it can be a lot easier to switch it on by your feet, and you have to run it by batteries because it'd be more difficult to get power to it. And yeah what he said ^
Quote by noisefarmer
my rule of thumb for inserting effects into guitars involves 4 questions you need to ask yourself.

is it feasible?
how often do you actually use it?
is it necessary for you to have it by your fingers?
does it serve any useful purpose other than looks?

if the answer to 3 of those is yes then i'd go ahead and drop it in. but thats just me and i'm kinda practical in that regard.

Thank god there are practical people on this site, they don't exist down here. I've had to make do with 2 years of laughing at ducks and idiots falling down the stairs... Thanks for the advice though, I already have a FloorPod with a FuzzFace model built in, so I guess it would be mainly for looks.

Quote by Punk_Ninja
Lookin' good, it's nice to see someone using an unusual wood (for a guitar) without having loads of people complain!

Thanks, I think it should work, as I'm quite a economical person (thats french for cheapskate), I figured Oak would be kind of the same as mahogany, weight and sound-wise.

I can only pray I don't bugger it in 16 different ways...

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
I kinda just figured that they are both heavy, pretty bad logic, but they may be similar.

Hopefully...

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Double post ftw.

So I got some stuff delivered during the week, WOO HOO!
Pics are needed...

Pre Finished neck, nicotine and honey like if I remember, with the wide headstock...

Shame they sent me a neck one instead of the one I asked for. For interest, could I mount this at the bridge end? I'd like to put a Phat Cat or something similar in the neck.

You'll have to believe me that these are roller string trees, my cameras flash is retarded, either that, or I am.

mmmmm...shiny, wilkinson...

Z0MG!! Already a mock up!

I joke, as it happens, I still have no money, so going will be slow for a bit, until I get: $107, or rather, the equivalent in Euros, that plus shipping and pups for my other Squier, the middle one is buggered...

Hasta.

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Lookin good.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
Lookin good.

Thanks man, its getting there, slowly but surely, meanwhile...

TA DAA!! Ready to be cut out, except I need to shape my template with an AANJ. Hopefully it should work with the Neck, it looks like standard fender type heel. (Subtle hint for people to read and either crush or whisk my wishes here...)

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Im gonna keep an eye on this one.... Looks like a good build.

Have you decided how you plan on finishing it? That grain looks awesome, a stained finish would look good on it in my opinion
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Yeah, I was pondering between a stain and a nitro coat, or (a recommendation from a joiner friend), using Ammonia to make it super dark with a nitro coat. Im really trying to think what would look good with the gold hardware, bit kitsch gold hardware and natural, but I quite like it.
Thanks for the comment btw, I just hope I don't bugger it.

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
It looks amazing great body shape
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by Dust_to_Dust
It looks amazing great body shape

Thanks, I hope it turns out alright.

Just a quick question, to anyone really, anyone that can help, or at least offer some form of constructive input, that Crusader I have there for the neck position, is it possible to mount it at the bridge, just set it up closer to the strings perhaps? or is it not?

Thankee.

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
If you asked for a bridge, get the bridge pickup. That one isn't made to be put in the bridge position.... I said bridge a lot.
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Quote by Emoishboy
If you asked for a bridge, get the bridge pickup. That one isn't made to be put in the bridge position.... I said bridge a lot.

WHY THE **** DID YOU BUMP THIS

Do not bump old threads.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
oops. ****. (and I'm the one telling other people not to do that, usually.... it must be time for bed.)
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
I used oak for a fretboard a few weeks ago and man was it TOUGH to saw...look forward to seeing this come together