Here we go, I got my tax return and my stimulus check so I should be all set on getting a new amp set up. I have $1100 to spend on a head. As far as music goes, I play melodic death metal with some groove influence. However, my favorite tones are Slayer's, The Red Shore's, and Unearth's. I also like playing random breakdowns during band practice to take a break between songs. I was almost dead set on getting an Engl Thunder head but I've seen some Mesa's and even a VHT Deliverance for 1200 on eBay.

What would you recommend?
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Mesa/Boogie triple Rectifier (USED)
ENGL Invader (used)
ENGL PowerBall (used)
Peavey JSX
Peavey 6505+
Splawn Nitro (used)
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
As far as the Peavey 6505 goes, we used one in the studio and I hate how it sounds.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

^a splawn for 1100? i dont think so (i still wuv you)

i'd look at recto's and 6505+'s, depending what sound your into. i actually suggest looking for a JCM900, it has a very thrashy sound, and sounds good when boosted so it can cover your death metal needs.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I would look into:

Engl Fireball (used)
Peavey JSX (used)
Mesa Single Recifier (used)
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Is there something particularly wrong with the Engl Thunder? I would rather go new than used.

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Mesa/Boogie triple Rectifier (USED)
ENGL Invader (used)
ENGL PowerBall (used)
Peavey JSX
Peavey 6505+
Splawn Nitro (used)

Best advice.

Also - melodic death metal? I get such a kick out of that. It sure makes me jolly.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I've decided on an Engl Fireball. Thanks for the advice though.

I'd save a bit more and get a powerball
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by RHCPFitz
if you have that much money, it is very stupid to buy used.

That's what I thought.
My budget has increased to about 1600. I'm still pretty set on the Fireball though. Maybe a VHT Deliverance?

^ Engl Powerball
Peavey JSX
Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier
Splawn Nitro
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Feb 19, 2009,
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^ powerball

The Powerball is still out of my range. I have about 1800 total to spend but I have to get a noise suppressor and the such.

^ ohh......
id stick with the ENGL Fireball then......... and buy a ISP Decimator for the noise suppressor.....
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^ ohh......
id stick with the ENGL Fireball then......... and buy a ISP Decimator for the noise suppressor.....

Alright. After hearing Unearth's tone on In The Eyes Of Fire I've wanted a VHT Deliverance but I actually got to hear a guy playing an Engl not to long ago and it was beautiful in all ways.

the VHT's are love/hate here because of their dry sound.......
but go with the ENGL you wont regret it....... and why not used????? im sure you can find a Powerball or a Nitro if you looked for one used.........
feel free to add me
I've gotten scammed on eBay pretty much every time I've bought off of their. Also, new stuff comes with things like footswitches, warrantys, and all of the good stuff that gets lost during ownership.

I plan on scouting eBay before I buy for sure, but as of right now there isn't anything of interest.

Last edited by Unskathed at Feb 19, 2009,
^ not on ebay on your GC or your local store............
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^ not on ebay on your GC or your local store............

My local stores are crap, and Guitar Center is like 3 hours away. lol
I might plan a trip down to GC and Woodwind Brasswind though. Investing 1800 bucks probably deserves a road trip. -_-

it does......
i'll give you a link of amp that you might want to look at.....
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ileikpieandcookies/forum/58726/
its my list of amps that does metal......... if you go to your GC or any store there is a 80% chance you might see 3or 1 of those amps on my list.......
feel free to add me
Thanks a ton bro.
Thanks for all of the advice.
I'm so friggin' pumped.

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
the VHT's are love/hate here because of their dry sound.......
but go with the ENGL you wont regret it....... and why not used????? im sure you can find a Powerball or a Nitro if you looked for one used.........

That's the truth - a lot of people can't stand VHT becuase they're so brittle - lots of mids and highs with a thin type of sound.

I like it for rhythm when I play with a bass heavy band - assuming I could afford a pitbull ultra lead haha.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you