Long story short, my friend is getting into guitar and asked me for a rec on a good beginner amp, he likes jazz mostly, so probably something with good cleans, I was gonna tell him to get a Crate 5w Tube, I had one and I thought it had great cleans for the price, at low volumes atleast, which is how he'd be playing it because he lives in an apartment. I was gonna tell him to get a Dano EQ aswell, because the Crate only has one EQ knob.
Budget??
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Used Jazz Chrous.

No, but seriously, try a Blackheart Little Giant (the combo). I think that could work nicely. I don't really know how goo dthe cleans are on it, but they should do what he needs... That or the Crate 5 watt, maybe even a Fender Champion 600?

But yeah, Budget?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Vox Valvetronix!
/thread

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
In my humble opinion when a beginner wants an amp... i don't think he/she should get a low end tube amp. A beginner has to be kept interested when starting out...an amp with just a clean channel like the Valve juniors...fender champ etc. that needs to be cranked to get a decent 'dirty' tone might bore the player. Also when i started out i didn't feel confident enough to crank up the volume, cos when you just start out you're not gonna sound very pleasant and you don't want anyone to hear it. Something like the Valvetronix series in the other hand also sound pretty good...have effects and different amp models and keeps the beginner interested. This is just my opinion though.
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
MicroCube, Cube 30x
Vyper 15, 30.
Vox Valvtronix, DA5
Quote by 667
MicroCube, Cube 30x
Vyper 15, 30.
Vox Valvtronix, DA5

Dude.......

667 is my house's number.....

And yeah, I'll agree with the "needing something to keep him interested."
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
Dude.......

667 is my house's number.....

Do you live next to, or across from Satan?
Quote by 667
Do you live next to, or across from Satan?

If by Satan, you mean the teenager girl who lives across from me and who thinks the Jonas Brothers are hard rock, then I live across from Satan
--

--
Fender Super or Vibro Champ, best practice amp.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by stratman_13
If by Satan, you mean the teenager girl who lives across from me and who thinks the Jonas Brothers are hard rock, then I live across from Satan

Lucy, the devils daughter?
Quote by stratman_13

You do live in HeII.

TS - Buget?
Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix.

Ofc. 2 or 5 watt tube amps would be better sounding, but they're more expensive and you don't really know if you're gonna keep up guitar, so it's not a risk you may want to be taking early on.
if what he wants is good cleans he probably shouldnt get a modeller. i agree with those who said the crate v5 or fender champion

and if he DOES want more bells and whistles then just have him grab a multi-effects for a reasonable price.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by 667
Lucy, the devils daughter?

You mean Lucy, the Daughter of the Devil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTxjD--TTwE

EDIT: If he cares about having any extras a good lowend modeling amp like a Valvetronix would be perfect, if he doesn't care about anything fancy I'd say definitely a Valve Jr. or something similar. Plus with a bit of easy modding it can be made to stay clean even at full volume, making it perfect for gigging later on, since you can just toss a good OD in front of it and it still dirties up reeeal nice.
Last edited by Wonthefu at Feb 18, 2009,
He has about a 200$ budget, and I'm pretty sure he won't need a modeller, hes kind of a jazz elitist, only likes the cleanest guitar tones, no OD or effects and the likes.
Quote by the_wayward_one
In my humble opinion when a beginner wants an amp... i don't think he/she should get a low end tube amp. A beginner has to be kept interested when starting out...an amp with just a clean channel like the Valve juniors...fender champ etc. that needs to be cranked to get a decent 'dirty' tone might bore the player. Also when i started out i didn't feel confident enough to crank up the volume, cos when you just start out you're not gonna sound very pleasant and you don't want anyone to hear it. Something like the Valvetronix series in the other hand also sound pretty good...have effects and different amp models and keeps the beginner interested. This is just my opinion though.

Agreed. It's not important for a beginner to have great tone (not that Valve Jrs even sound good anyway), it's more important that they are exposed to a large variety of sounds.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by gregs1020
You do live in HeII.

TS - Buget?

If hell means living in a private neighborhood where I can play as loud as I want, then I'll take it
--

--
Quote by Wonthefu
You mean Lucy, the Daughter of the Devil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTxjD--TTwE

Ya, that's it. With DJ Jesus. The pilot was great, but I couldn't get into it.
The guy that does Satans voice is also "Coach McGurck" on Home Movies. He's wicked funny (I am from Boston, but that was a pun).
Quote by 667
Ya, that's it. With DJ Jesus. The pilot was great, but I couldn't get into it.
The guy that does Satans voice is also "Coach McGurck" on Home Movies. He's wicked funny (I am from Boston, but that was a pun).

H. Jon Benjamen! ****ing love that guy, he does a lot of work on [as] shows, one of my favourite roles he did was Orpheus' Master on the Venture Brothers! x3
if it's 667, he lives across satan... have you ever walked around :p?

by the way, i live in Bulnes 443, what's up with that? (thread jack FTW!)
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2