Alright, so I know I've asked a lot of quesitons, but I really want to make sure I get everything right.
So, on my first guitar build I could either do a set or a bolt neck (Obviously)
The guitar I'm building is a Firebird, and I just received the template. It shows a set neck with the neck pocket being underneath the neck pickup. I know this isn't much of a problem, but if I do use this template, and I'm using single-coils without pickup rings, then won't I have to drill the mounting screws for the pickup directly into the tenon, if there is no wood between the pickup route and the neck pocket route? (Hope you understood all that)
Also, how hard is it to do a set neck? What clamps do I use, where do I put them, etc?
Am I just better off going with a bolt-on?
Thanks much.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
From the info that I have gathered for MY first build, a bolt-on would be the best choice for a first build. If you fack up, you can make a new one, and shaping a neck after gluing it in is a pain in the nuts (paraphrasing nuthinbuttruble8's words).

If you make the bolt-on neck pocket fit tightly with the neck heel (the "ormsby test" or w/e), you'll get just as much sustain as with a set-neck. A well-made bolt-on is just as good as a set-neck.
im not hijacking i just figure you would be wondering this too. how hard is it too change the plans to make it bolt on? im doing a prs mcarty
^ Get drawing and find out? You just get rid of the tenon on the neck, so the heel of the neck matches the end of the fretboard, and then you route the body to accept the heel of the neck as opposed to a neck tenon.

There is nothing wrong with screwing pups into a neck tenon, but the time you come to mount the pups the tenon will have dried into its pocket in the body and will be very strong.

I agree with Jim, a bolt on would be a better idea on a first build.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Feb 18, 2009,
i did my own make not too long ago, but i did a bolt on, i'd use a clamp to keep the wood steady while u drive the screws. also, you might want to add just a drop or so of wood glue on the tip of the screw.
Quote by Invader Jim
From the info that I have gathered for MY first build, a bolt-on would be the best choice for a first build. If you fack up, you can make a new one, and shaping a neck after gluing it in is a pain in the nuts (paraphrasing nuthinbuttruble8's words).

If you make the bolt-on neck pocket fit tightly with the neck heel (the "ormsby test" or w/e), you'll get just as much sustain as with a set-neck. A well-made bolt-on is just as good as a set-neck.

although it is perfectly possible to make the neck and shape it before it is glued to the body as thats how i did mine. i only had to make some minor adjustments once it was glued and they were no bother.
Thank you please.
If its your virgin build go with a bolt neck. If not, I like set necks better (better sustain)

However, if it is your first build and you feel confident in a set neck build, then go for it and remember, measure (or think) three times before you do something you cant reverse!
why not make it a neck-thru? It gives even better sustain and seems simpler than a set neck. I don't know for sure though.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
So I am thinking it would be easier to do a set neck, because that's what my plans are showing (I bought plans for the guitar). It shouldn't be that hard. I mean, its just gluing and clamping a neck right? Or is it harder?
Neck thru is most likely the easiest to build. It's just gluing 3 pieces of wood together at simplest.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Probably too late to do a through build. If I can I definitely will do it.