7 16%
Orange Rocker Combo
18 40%
Peavey 6505 Combo
6 13%
Laney LC30
3 7%
Voters: 45.
Hi guys, im going to Uni to study music and obviously I wont have a massive amount of space to store my great big Marshall JCM2000 head and 2 x 12 cab, and so have to limit myself to a combo for performance and rehearsals aswell as demos etc. This may also be a good thing as the Marshall isn't amazing and can be a bit buzzy and harsh mid sounding. I have about 600-800 to spend and hope to pick something up second hand but not closed minded at any sale.

I posted a thread before and got a few replies and I've added a few I've thought maybe good, please feel free to add comments if you think I should add something to the poll or have any other recommendations.

The genres I play are mainly Heavy Rock, and prog but it will need to have a good clean tone for Jazz, Funk and Blues though I'm not too fussy with it as long as its playable. I have a Fender Strat and an Ibanez RG 1570

Thanks

James
Last edited by JamesGale at Feb 18, 2009,
Vox VT15
or Blackheart little giant + OD

EDIT:
Dude....... all of the amps in your poll is too loud for UNI.......... except for the Cornford Harlequin
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Feb 18, 2009,
anything that says crate is a good deal.

i prefer the GTX6500

COMEDY! PROGRESSIVE! PUNK!

Quote by darkrikku

MY SETUP
ESP Ltd. F-100FM
DiMarzio PAF Pro DP151
John Pearse #2500 Strings
Crate GTX65
Behringer Ultrastack BG412H
Are you guys trolling or something?

Im going to be performing and recording and stuff, its not for playing at my accomodation. Maybe only wid headphones or ill play acoustic stuff. But mainly for performance in class and out of class and recording demos and ****. Also practicing aswell in a practice room and with a band, etc.
Last edited by JamesGale at Feb 18, 2009,
^wut............
read my post.......
feel free to add me
Quote by JamesGale
Are you guys trolling or something?

I was thinking the same thing.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^ No, the JC isn't any use for anything other than the cleanest cleans.

WTF- Did you see the amps he had in mind? TS can do a lot better than a Vox VT15 or a Blackheart.

TS- I personally would go for the Rocker 30 because:
- it's quite compact.
- it has nice cleans and beautiful crunch which sounds like what you want.
It is pretty loud, though, but so are all the other amps you mentioned.

How much exactly do you have to spend? I'm guessing you're probably in the UK or Europe.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
^ I thought all of those amp (except the cornford) will be to loud for Uni.....
feel free to add me
He doesn't have to always crank it, you know.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
^ you got a point there.....
TS go with the Cornford..
feel free to add me
Cornford
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
Most people are going to say Cornford because it is an expensive, boutique brand that many have never played (including myself). But I have heard them so I say why the f*ck not, if you can obviously try it out first. Also check out the Blackstar HT-5 (or something like that). It is a 5 watt combo head with a decent amount of gain on tap. I am definitely interested in one.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Seriously thinking about the Rocker and Cornford. The Blackstar I think would remind me too much of my Marshall, not a bad thing but im looking for something a bit different as im not completly satisfied with its sound really.