So...

I bought an acoustic electric fretless dean playmate because 1. It cost me about $115 and 2. I wanted an acoustic to play with my church and 3. I wanted a fretless. But here's the catch. The guy who sold it de-fretted a Playmate and called it a fretless. There is major fret(less) buzz and playing the first five frets on each string is very tough and I can Barely. The nut I think needs to be changed and it will be o.k. but I am not sure. Is there anything I can do to fix this or am I just effed?

The de-fretted frets

Is the nut too high?

The Bass

The action
TBK ||RIP
BBAS||RIP
50RR||RIP
AO|| RIP
WMW||RIP
SF||RIP
SMB||RIP
TS||RIP

HYW
I'm not quite sure what you mean, take it to a Luthier and see what they say
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
get some files and take a small amount out of the nuts, and maybe even the bridge if it needs it
Quote by SomeGuyInJersey

The action

are the strings too close to the fretboard lower down the neck? or is that just perspective?

...I don't think a high nut could cause it to rattle- haha, I'd probably say a high nut is the solution!
Yeah it is retarded but that's ebay for you. The problem is that there is too much tension close to the nut so it is extremely hard to play the first couple of frets and thats what it feels like is cause of the fret buzz. So how should I file it down? Just right in the grooves? Or should I just tell them to fix it when I get it set up?
TBK ||RIP
BBAS||RIP
50RR||RIP
AO|| RIP
WMW||RIP
SF||RIP
SMB||RIP
TS||RIP

HYW
Quote by SomeGuyInJersey
Yeah it is retarded but that's ebay for you. The problem is that there is too much tension close to the nut so it is extremely hard to play the first couple of frets and thats what it feels like is cause of the fret buzz. So how should I file it down? Just right in the grooves? Or should I just tell them to fix it when I get it set up?

If you're going to pay to have it set up, you might as well just have them do the nut work while they're at it. It's not like it's a very major procedure or should take much time at all-so I doubt it'd be much of an additional fee unless they have flat rates for each procedure--even then you can probably get a discount by having them do the set up and nutwork at the same time.
i would re-sell it on e-bay and cut your losses. you paid too much to start with.
having professional adjustments to modify original parts is usually not cheap.
a set-up is no big deal, but nut and bridge adjustments are usually charged by the hour ($65 to $90) i say the bass is not worth fixing. personally you couldn't give me an acoustic/electric bass. to me they are worthless, at any price.
e-bay requires diligent research BEFORE purchasing!! i learned the hard way also.
good luck!!
When I defretted my bass, I got a lot of 'fret' buzz. This was due to a poorly filled in fret space. I went over the area with woodfiller and sanded it again, which stopped the buzz. Maybe the fellow before you has done a poor job with defretting? Check around the old frets for damage to the wood aswell.
I think once I get the nut fixed the buzz will go away. The tension is screwed up it seems. I am just going to take it to my local shop to save me the headache.
TBK ||RIP
BBAS||RIP
50RR||RIP
AO|| RIP
WMW||RIP
SF||RIP
SMB||RIP
TS||RIP

HYW