First I have a question for S/S/S strat owners. Is the bridge cavity gutted to fit a humbucker if you decide to switch the pickguard, or do you have to do this yourself?

If it is already gutted, I'm looking for some opinions. My original plan was to put either a JB jr. or a Hot Rails in the bridge position. Would you do this or maybe go with a full-sized humbucker? Suggestions for that humbucker?

I mainly play classic rock, I bought the guitar mainly for the strat tones, think Gilmour, and the cleans, but I would like to switch the bridge out so I can get a little higher gain when needed, as this is quickly become my main ax.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Last edited by Mike1109 at Feb 18, 2009,
Did you even read my post? I said I bought the strat for those tones, and now that it is becoming my main thing I'm looking to swap out the bridge for a higher gain pickup. I can't recall many high gain tones in Floyd tunes.

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:

Follow me on Twitter!
No need to be a douche, he was trying to help you out.

I have the same problem, I have an HSS strat with stock pups (scn noiseless for neck and middle and I think dh-1 humbucker for bridge). I'm looking for RHCP to SRV sounds from the neck/middle and metal tones from the humbucker. I'm asking for a lot, I know, but I can't afford to buy two main axes. So far, I hear the miracle man is good for bridge (sounds like an EMG, but is passive), but its way expensive.
Well, I wasn't trying to be a douche, but suggesting Gilmour EMGs for high gain is being pretty ignorant of what I just asked for. I'm 95% certain he just skimmed the post, saw gilmour, and started typing.

Anyways, I'm in a similar boat as you, sounds like we have similar needs in terms of versatility. I'm sure it's possible, I'd like to avoid EMGs if possible though, hopefully a Seymour Duncan.

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:

Follow me on Twitter!
Well, the problem with the hot bridge humbucker is that it wont mesh well with the middle pickup. The middle/bridge config wont sound very good, but most of the time you will be playing in the 5th position anyway. I've heard good things about Bareknuckles, Duncans, Dimarzios, and I've heard that one shouldnt mix active and passive pups (not sure why).
Check out the thread I made here, pretty similar:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1026493

I ended up getting a full humbucker, Seymour Duncan TB-11 in my bridge.

I had to get a new pickguard by the way.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
How do you like it? Does it work for metal, and how are the cleans?