I've been a metal guy for years, but my tastes have been expanding recently. I've started listening to jazz fusion and more recently a lot of classical stuff. What are some good pieces to start playing classical? Nothing simple, I want some challenge, but nothing thats too insane.
"In the midst of movement and chaos, keep stillness inside of you"

\m/

GEAR:
Ibanez XPT700
Ibanez S Series 7 String
Jacskson USA Soloist
While Bodom is amazing, I'm talkin about fingerstyle classical

\m/

GEAR:
Ibanez XPT700
Ibanez S Series 7 String
Jacskson USA Soloist
I'd like something on par with Desiderata by Greg Howe

\m/

GEAR:
Ibanez XPT700
Ibanez S Series 7 String
Jacskson USA Soloist
Quote by Camdon

sif a metal head is ever going to be able to play JB. lmfao. although i think JB could show some people a thing or two with drop D, power chords and gallops. more lmfao.

in seriousness. i think the TS is after some CLASSICAL guitar. im with you TS, im starting to consider buying a nyloner and taking lessons

as much as i use to dislike (polite) j butlers personality, ive always thought outside t emmanuel hes the best acoustic guitarist i ever heard. hes good at slide, lap, 6 and 12 string. as the more he matures the more i have become to like his personality. JB is the goods yall, come good in the land of oz.
Gavotte by Bach - Performed by Segovia Start around 2:24 for Gavotte
Bourree by Bach, from Cello Suites
Caprice No. 24 - Paganini
Variations on a Theme by Mozart - Op 9

I played the Gavotte for my 2nd year Classical guitar recital, and wanted to play the Caprice by Paganini on my 3rd, but played a Bourree by Bach because it took me too long to get the speed needed to play a piece like that at the time. That same year, one of the ace students played Variations on a Theme by Mozart. It was awesome! These are my personal favorites, even though I haven't played my classical seriously for years now.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Last edited by leondb at Feb 19, 2009,
dude.. variations on a theme by mozart and especially paganini's caprice is generally considered as two of the most difficult pieces technically for the classical guitar and are generally rated as diploma level pieces, he said he was just starting to play classical..

To the op:
You should look around on:

http://dirk.meineke.free.fr/classical.html (they have tabs together with the sheet music if you'd like as well)

for some nice beginner things, if anything I'd especially recommend Fernando Sors studies, both opus 60 and the 20 etudes segovia selected. The 20 etudes are awesome pieces musically speaking as well and they (if properly practice) work wonders for technique as well.
Last edited by M1st at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by M1st
dude.. variations on a theme by mozart and especially paganini's caprice is generally considered as two of the most difficult pieces technically for the classical guitar and are generally rated as diploma level pieces, he said he was just starting to play classical..

My bad. I figure if he's a metal head for years, his fingers aren't lazy...
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Show me the guy who can pick up a classical guitar and play paganinis 24th caprice as the first ever classical piece he's played and I will worship him as a god :P