Hey, I'm planning on getting a new bass, seeing as how my Squier has begun to crap out on me. I've got a price limit of $500 USD, and I play in a hard rock/metal band as well as a jazz band, so I'm looking for versatility.

So far, i'm looking at:

1. Ibanez ATK (300 or 300RSBK)

2. Ibanez SRX (550 or 590)

3. Ibanez SR (Various models under $500)

4. Used Fender Geddy Lee sig (Ebay)

5. Used Marcus Miller Jazz (Ebay)

I don't especially like the standard Jazz, and I prefer maple necks, but rosewood isn't out of the question. Any preference? Suggestions? Tips? Any other options would be appreciated as well. Thanks!
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
get the ATK

Although make sure you like the feel of it before you buy it, it's like a tree trunk. If you like thick necks, you'll love it.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
How is the neck compared to a P-Bass neck? About the same size?

EDIT: also, if I can find a good bass for $400 or less, I'm considering buying a new pickup to breathe some life into my P-Bass. So far I'm looking at the SD Quarter-Pounders or Dimarzio DP127 split-blade humbucking pup. Any other suggestions? Preferences between the two mentioned above?
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Last edited by P-Bass Pirate at Feb 18, 2009,
Slightly larger
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
The Ibanez may not cut it 100% for jazz, but it should work. The main problem with the Fenders is the lack of a 2 octave neck. The Geddy Lee I played was ridiculously aggressive and bright, but I haven't played one extensively.

Oh, right now the ATK700 is 300 bucks on MF. You may want to get on that.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The Ibanez may not cut it 100% for jazz, but it should work. The main problem with the Fenders is the lack of a 2 octave neck. The Geddy Lee I played was ridiculously aggressive and bright, but I haven't played one extensively.

I've seen that 700, but I very much dislike the bright blue color, and the natural isn't my favorite. I prefer the color scheme of the 300RSBK, and I really liked the koa 750 before it was discontinued. Is there that much of a difference between the 700 and the 300?
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by IndianRockStar

I was messing around with some jazz/reggae earrlier and I could pull it off quite well combined with the 4 band EQ on my amp.

I saw the ATK700 earlier as well, a REAL bargain, it has a single coil in the neck so you'll get a lot more versitality
Quote by guitarhero_764

^^Actually, the 700 only has the triple coil. The 750 has the single coil as well, but even the discounted one is out of my price range. Is the 700 really that much better?
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by P-Bass Pirate
^^Actually, the 700 only has the triple coil. The 750 has the single coil as well, but even the discounted one is out of my price range. Is the 700 really that much better?

oh i didnt realise

There doesnt look like much difference except for a higher build quality and the flame top
Quote by guitarhero_764

lol actually, the longer I look at it, the more that flamed top grows on me. I'm thinking I'll go with one of those atks if I can pick one up soon. Now, on to the second question. What p-bass pickup would you guys recommend?
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Ive heard good stuff about Seymour Duncan quarter pounders
Quote by guitarhero_764

Check out the Reggie Hamilton signature. I'm borrowing my friend's and this thing RIPS. Such a nice bass, and it has a hipshot in case you play any of your metal in drop D.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
how will u find a 500 marcus miller jbass, used usually go around 800. 700 if you are lucky
Quote by postmortem2006

Give him something he can appreciate.

Herpes maybe.
Marcus Miller basses are not good for metal, if you want a jazz, buy the Geddy Lee (however much i personally hate them).

Either the Geddy or the ATK
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals