I don't know how to put this better.
My G400 broke, and I had to get a new guitar. Replaced it with GRG170DX and am pretty happy with it, but have problem. When I plugged the G400 into my Orange Crush 15, I was able to get a distorted tone from it. No epic dist, but good enough for Metallica/Trivium. When I plug in the GRG and put it on the dist channel, turn the gain all the way along with the channel volume, and mids to 1 or 0, the sound is distorted but very slightly. I'd go as far as saying that now my dist channel works like a boost rather than distortion. Granted, the amp was off for some time, because I had nothing to plug into it, but it's SS so I don't think that's the problem.
Halp, please?
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
It's your Powersound Pickups, I have a GRX, I know.
Go replace them lol.
I also have a G400, ANY GIO series is a step down.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
You really should not have got that Gio.

I have one, and while it was good as a beginning electric guitar, er... not so much "my thing" anymore.

Oh, and the Orange Crush is not that good of an amp. Perhaps you should just bite the bullet and find a new amp.
If they're right, and it's the pickups, wouldn't a $40 distortion pedal solve this?
"There is only one thing more beautiful than one guitar - Two guitars" Frederic Chopin
Quote by strat2finish
If they're right, and it's the pickups, wouldn't a $40 distortion pedal solve this?

Hmm... no I don't think so.

A distortion pedal plus the Crush wouldn't be all that great.

I really think there's something wrong with the amp.

TS, if you're really concerned, maybe bring in your guitar and amp to a local shop, and have them look it up and down, have them test it, etc.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Hmm... no I don't think so.

A distortion pedal plus the Crush wouldn't be all that great.

I really think there's something wrong with the amp.

TS, if you're really concerned, maybe bring in your guitar and amp to a local shop, and have them look it up and down, have them test it, etc.

Eh, you're probably right. I don't have a lot (okay, no) experience with Orange amps. It just seemed to me that a ds-1 or equivilant would be a cheaper and easier solution than fixing/replacing the guitar or the amp.
"There is only one thing more beautiful than one guitar - Two guitars" Frederic Chopin
Yeah... those ibanez pickups don't quite have the output of those Epiphone pickups... it's one of the few situations where the Epiphone does in fact have superior pickups. Also, is the Ibanez loaded with HBs or SCs? That could be the problem. If you want a pedal solution, though, I'd suggest an OD pedal to just further push the signal. What happened to the Epiphone, anyway?
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Thomme
Yeah... those ibanez pickups don't quite have the output of those Epiphone pickups... it's one of the few situations where the Epiphone does in fact have superior pickups. Also, is the Ibanez loaded with HBs or SCs? That could be the problem. If you want a pedal solution, though, I'd suggest an OD pedal to just further push the signal. What happened to the Epiphone, anyway?

It's a HSH setup. Maybe getting an OD will do the job, I'll think about that. But if not - what are relatively cheap but high output PUPs?
The headstock of the Epi broke off, and two luthiers said it's unfixable, so I had to get a new guitar. Sold what was left of it, for money towards the GRG.
EDIT
Wait a second, you're telling me that my amp can distort the SC's of a Squire but can't drive the Ibanez PUPs?
Gear:
Electric
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Last edited by fantasyh at Feb 19, 2009,
Quote by fantasyh
mids to 1 or 0,

youdoinitwrong.
Thats why you can't hear it. Turn up the mids.
Quote by littlephil

youdoinitwrong.
Thats why you can't hear it. Turn up the mids.

I thought scooping the mids made the sound more distorted. Quieter, yes, but more distorted.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Quote by fantasyh
I thought scooping the mids made the sound more distorted. Quieter, yes, but more distorted.

Not more distorted at all. It just makes it sound hollow really, because most of the volume comes from the middle frequencies that you are cutting out by scooping them.
Quote by littlephil
Not more distorted at all. It just makes it sound hollow really, because most of the volume comes from the middle frequencies that you are cutting out by scooping them.

I'll try that.

Also the PUPs are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_C-4XuXBzg
Now I realise that my amp does suck bawlz.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
in what way is your G-400 FUBAR?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
in what way is your G-400 FUBAR?

Check a few posts up
Quote by jedkoc
Check a few posts up

ah i see..
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Tone and volume knob on the guitar up to 11?
Check the input jack. If it sounds hollow and cut off then it might be because of a loose connection.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

SG headstocks are a common casualty - it's just that on a G400, geting it professionally repaired would cost more than the guitar! So that could be what they meant by 'unfixable'.
I've repaired a couple of broken headstocks with wood clue and a few cheap clamps from the corner shop. Cost me about £3.50 for the clamps and glue, and I've been gigging with one of the repaired guitars for months....

Even if you're not DIY-minded, google 'broken headstock glue' or something, there's certainly nothing to lose from trying!
@hminh87 I'll check that
@kyle62 I though about that, but for fear of screwing it up even worse, I sold the guitar (or rather was left of it)

After some more fiddling with know (i.e. taking Gain lower than 10) I got some dist, and see a dist or OD pedal in my future. Thanks for the help.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Do you see a new amp in the future as well?

Would love to, not very soon though.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Sorry for the double post, but..
I like the GRG. Suprisingly the non-locking trem, is working fine, not going out of tune (at least not very much) evem after a dive bomb. The basswood body is just fine, and I like the neck joint (it's a bolt-on).
But that's OT.
Actually when I think about it - wouldn't some klnd of POD be a better invesment than a dist pedal like DS-1 or something? I could use it later when I get a better amp. Is something like a Pocket POD Express even worth buying?
Gear:
Electric
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
You're going to a buy a POD... Go for the XT or X3.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R