I wanted to know what you guys who have experience gigging use and what you prefer using, I may be starting a band soon and would like to know. I currently have a crappy 80 watt combo just for practising.
it all depends on the situation.
if you have an easy source of transport and have a big guy in your band (help carry your gear) then a stack would be good.
if not then go for a combo.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
if you are going solid state then definitely stack it, if tube then a combo is more than enough
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
it's all personal preference if you want something bug get a stack if you want something small get a combo
Quote by NnjRik
if you are going solid state then definitely stack it, if tube then a combo is more than enough

eh heh, tube? solid state? could you explain?
For the pre-amp.

tube pre amps move air better, so you get more sound per watt, or something like that. Basically we'd need to know what you're looking for in order for us to recommend something.
dont worry about him.
he is a stray guitarist that has wondered into the bass forum.
the majority of bass amps are solid state (especially in the lower price ranges) so you wont really need to worry about the differences.

google it if you really want to know.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by shinhoman
dont worry about him.
he is a stray guitarist that has wondered into the bass forum.
the majority of bass amps are solid state (especially in the lower price ranges) so you wont really need to worry about the differences.

google it if you really want to know.

x

Cool, Thanks
It's personal preference. If you can find a combo that does everything you need, use it. If you can find a stack that does everything you need, use it.
Personally I'd say go stack. They're generally more powerful and do a better job of projecting sound.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
I really feel like a stack is the way to go if you look at it in the long run. With a stack you can always upgrade piece by piece, add more things to it and try out different combinations of speaker sizes, heads, and what not. Also if anything gets damaged beyond repair you wouldn't have to replace the whole thing, just one part.
Quote by Gilthresa
For the pre-amp.

tube pre amps move air better, so you get more sound per watt, or something like that. Basically we'd need to know what you're looking for in order for us to recommend something.

You're way off the mark, the pre-amp stage just shapes the sound, it is the power/output stage that moves air, a valve/tube combo of 100+ watts will be extremely heavey.
Combos are more often designed for convenience therefore the price to pay is that you rarely get a speaker compartment that utilises the performance of the loudspeaker to it's optimum.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Zycho
It's personal preference. If you can find a combo that does everything you need, use it. If you can find a stack that does everything you need, use it.

You will be very lucky to get a combo that does evrything you need unless even in full band rehearsals you augment it with PA/FOH.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I prefer the amp/cab stack over a combo. While combos are meant to me light and smaller, I generally find that they are a lot more awkward to carry. I also like being able to customize my rack gear.
Quote by John Swift
You will be very lucky to get a combo that does evrything you need unless even in full band rehearsals you augment it with PA/FOH.

I dunno, the Hartke and Ashdown 410 combos are quite potent...

Since you already have a combo of decent size, I'd say go for a half stack, for the same reasons Jiimy and izhar mentioned.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 19, 2009,
Quote by Mutant Corn
I dunno, the Hartke and Ashdown 410 combos are quite potent....

Also very big and heavy.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
You're way off the mark, the pre-amp stage just shapes the sound, it is the power/output stage that moves air, a valve/tube combo of 100+ watts will be extremely heavey.
Combos are more often designed for convenience therefore the price to pay is that you rarely get a speaker compartment that utilises the performance of the loudspeaker to it's optimum.

oops.
Quote by John Swift

Regardless of how unlikely it is to find a combo that does everything you need, are you suggesting you shouldn't get it simply because it's a combo? Personally, I prefer stacks but whatever gets the job done.
Quote by Zycho
Regardless of how unlikely it is to find a combo that does everything you need, are you suggesting you shouldn't get it simply because it's a combo? Personally, I prefer stacks but whatever gets the job done.
In it's most simplistic terms yes, combos will always be a compromise; that is unless you have support via the PA or an extension cab which in itself then converts into a hybrid stack.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
u could always get a 2x10 combo, and the add on a cab when u dont have enough volume. Use the combo for practices, and the add on the cab for gigs..
Quote by John Swift
Also very big and heavy.

Heh, true that, though there have been worse....can you imagine having to move one of those old Peavey Combo 300's around?
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by jb_reborn
u could always get a 2x10 combo, and the add on a cab when u dont have enough volume. Use the combo for practices, and the add on the cab for gigs..

That actually isn't a bad idea, as long as you don't mind the speakers being the same brand as the head. Very good for convenience, but if you're more discriminating toward your rig's tone, you might not be satisfied.

All of the better-sounding rigs I've experienced have been mixed brand stacks. For example, my mentor's stack is a GK 700RB head with Fender Bassman cabs. It's probably the best stack I've ever played out of. In the sanctuary of my church, however, we have a GK 700RB-210 combo. That's the same amp, different speakers. And I've simply never been satisfied with the sound coming out of those 2 10" speakers. It just doesn't seem to be good enough for the head, I don't know. And I have experience with 210 cabs, it's not just the fact that the combo is a 210, as opposed to the stack's 410+115.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by Mutant Corn
Heh, true that, though there have been worse....can you imagine having to move one of those old Peavey Combo 300's around?

You should have been there in the 60s/70s, Bass, two guitarist and PA; all had valve/tube amps.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn