My friend bought a used H/S/S mexican strat the other day and when I was over & he was restringing it i notice that the holes in the bottom of the bridge don't line up with the hole in the back plate, so that if you loosened the strings and tried to push them through you have to take the back plate off to change strings, also, the string saddles look really weird, they arent solid, they're just folded sheet metal
the bridge humbucker has wax residue all over the front of it, and the pole pieces/screws have been pushed/turned down into the pickup,
the nut was also too shallow for 9-42 strings, is that weird?
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Very. How old is it?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
not vintage old or anything,
probably made since 2000

the saddles look like the bottom set here

yes it was used
Quote by guitardude34875
Last edited by ShredGod George at Feb 18, 2009,
Nope sounds ordinary to me. All but the wax residue.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Last edited by alternitivebass at Feb 18, 2009,
the only strange thing is the nut, which was possibly recut for heavier strings. Other than that, it's all kosher. I've never had a strat style guitar that I didn't have to take the back cover off of to change the strings in. The pickup sounds about right and the saddles are dead on for a MIM. Doesn't sound strange to me.

Why are people always so paranoid about a guitar being a copy, anyway? Especially Epi's and Fender MIM guitars?
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
yeah the holes dont line up with my back-plate perfectly either but i know mine is a genuine HSS Mexi Fender. I think it was because I fooled around with the tension when I put a heavier gauge string on or something like that....
Fan of the Ottawa Senators

Quote by apak
My G string keeps slipping when i bend it.
Any suggestions?
Quote by Thomme

Why are people always so paranoid about a guitar being a copy, anyway? Especially Epi's and Fender MIM guitars?

Yeah i'm not sure about this either. I mean, if you buy it from a store then I don't see the problem but maybe if you got it off of eBay then I would be concerned
Fan of the Ottawa Senators

Quote by apak
My G string keeps slipping when i bend it.
Any suggestions?
My new 2005 MIM has the same bridge.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
any Ideas about the wax residue on the humbucker?
Quote by guitardude34875
Some probably just came off the pole pieces as someone was adjusting them, it's happened on my old BC Rich pickups, and on my SG.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by ShredGod George
any Ideas about the wax residue on the humbucker?

they pot the pickup windings in wax so that the windings don't vibrate on their own and go microphonic. There's wax potting on most pickups, if you open the single coils, you'll find the same thing. Just, with exposed coil humbuckers, sometimes the wax gets beat up and starts cracking and getting everywhere.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.