Do ambient tracks accent metal albums or detract from them. I mean the stuff that bands like tool, slipknot, and rob zombie use( i know those don't neccassarily belong in the metal forum, but im just curious for what people think)
I think it adds to the over all sound of the album, 10 years did it several times on their first album.
Wow, not off to a good start...
Interesting topic though.
Sometimes I think they fit perfectly; In the case of Agalloch's Ashes Against the Grain, "This White Mountain On Which You Will Die" is pretty much just filler, but it adds a lot to the transition, and "The Grain" makes for a great closer.
Metal and ambient mix well, especially atmospheric metal with soundscapes as interludes.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
depends on what the song actually is...If its a nice transition between songs then yea they are nice...but if its somthing annoying (like half of tool's ambient songs) then i could do without.
I've never been a fan of much dark ambient though.
I'll take Hvis and Drawing Down the Moon over Hlidskjalf and Electric Doom Synthesis any day.
Its all been said. But... it depends on the music and band. It adds to the atmosphere when correctly used.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
I like ambient tracks on an album, but I hate when a song begins with/ends with ambient noise. That really annoys me.
Quote by I_hate_kyle
I like ambient tracks on an album, but I hate when a song begins with/ends with ambient noise. That really annoys me.

Agreed. Its gota be an option in some cases. Sometimes I don't mind the ambient stuff before the song...but somtimes i wanna get straight to the song.
It depends on how well it's done and how it's used, I listen to a lot of dark ambient music and am a bit more picky about this, since I actually expect the ambient interludes to sound good and interesting, a lot of times they don't really work that well.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Anything and ambient go perfectly together.

/thread

Fixed.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by fallenangel20
Fixed.

Ambient
Punk
Is
Awesome

The Stooges + Merzbow needs to happen.

R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Well considering many metal bands have albums made entirely of ambient tracks, yeah I think it works.
Ambience and songs/albums placed the right way can sound great.
The ambient section in ''Incipit Satan'' by Gorgoroth has a great placement in the song. As an example.
Commando of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join maggot!

I
Quote by Slaytanic1993
The Stooges + Merzbow needs to happen.

That could either be amazing or make me want to kill myself.
in a thread about ambient mixing with metal, the best you could do is Slipknot? are you serious?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
As much as I like Tool, I don't have the patience to listen to their 12 minute ambient songs.
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Quote by The Evil Hat
in a thread about ambient mixing with metal, the best you could do is Slipknot? are you serious?

it was an example, first thing that popped to mind. Not "the best i could do"
Quote by Psychopathology
That could either be amazing or make me want to kill myself.

I'm thinking the first one.

Or, y'know, hoping.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
I'm thinking the first one.

Or, y'know, hoping.

It would all depend on how experimental Merzbow would be feeling.