I play in a three-piece (guitar,drum,bass) blues/Americana/roots rock band with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with humbuckers. We play mostly small-medium sized bars. The sound I'm trying to achieve is a heavy, overdriven, dirty blues wail reminicient of the Black Keys, Jack White's less eccentric stuff, late 60's blues-rock etc., with thick, nasty bottom end but not so much that I can't co-exist peacefully with my talented bassist. I play both standard tuning and open D, E, G and I'm trying to get a handle on slide.

Right now I run my Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401 Combo through a Marshall cab that isn't mine but is at our practice space. The cab provides added volume but I primarily use it to get a beefier low-end sound that my 1X12 combo can't give me. I typically play on the clean channel and use the MXR Micro-Amp and USA Big Muff. The tube sound is classic Marshall, and when the tubes are driven to 10, it screams pretty nicely. I can't complain too much about the quality when the amp isn't acting up. Right now, however, its just not the precise sound I'm looking for.

Additionally, the Marshall combo has been a diva lately with the typical overheating issues, and I'm not entirely happy with my current sound. So I'm debating whether to invest the time and money into furnishing this amp into my rig of the future or selling it and try to turn a profit (got it for cheap) and starting over with a new amp. Essentially my choices are:

1) Refurnish my Marshall DSL 401 with a new speaker (Celestion V30 or Hellatone60 have been recommended), spend some money on some cool pedals (possibly an EQ, MXR blue bog, Digitech Whammy, a better Fuzz than the US Big Muff, octaver, etc. etc.), and buy my own cab.

2) Sell my Marshall and buy a new Combo in the $500-800 price range. I'm looking to buy used, and from what I've seen/heard, a Fender Twin Reverb or Blues Deville may work, but Ampeg, Orange, Vox may be too expensive.

Basically, I'm looking for some advice on whether to stick with my Marshall which I got for a pretty good steal and putting money toward pedals/cab/upgrades, or use that good deal to sell the amp and turn it around into something else. Also, I need some advice on what brand of amp and what type of pedals I should be keeping an eye out for. I'm fairly confident/proud with my skills at guitar and have been playing for 6-7 years, but I'm not very knowledgeable at all in terms of how gear works, the quality of brand names, or what gear is best suited for me. I'm a graduate student in dental school, so all my free time not working in people's mouths is devoted to practicing, writing, or performing, not becoming a gear head.

Any suggestions would be awesome.
Woah thats a lot of info for our tiny brains.
Sounds to me like refurbishment/new pedals is the way to go from my (limited) knowledge.
But this isn't really my area, sorry.
meh
dont sell it for a hot rod deluxe. you will not be happy
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Quote by ItsThatDude
dont sell it for a hot rod deluxe. you will not be happy

+1, don't buy a HRD unless you plan to get it Dumble modded by Omega amps.

If I were you, OP, I'd chuck the Marshall and check out the following amps:

Mesa Express
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Traynor YCS50
Mesa DC-5 or 3
Mesa F-50 or F-30
Peavey Classic 30
Orange Dual Terror
Marshall JCM800
Bugera 1990

Can't really help on pedals as you weren't too specific on what exactly you're looking for in terms of pedals.

EDIT: Re-read, and can definitely recommend the Whammy pedal as the best octave shifter with a built-in expression pedal for <=$200. You may or may not need an EQ pedal if you got a new amp and it depends on what you wanted to use it for (eg. boost, tone alteration, etc) As for an OD pedal, on the cheap, the DigiTech Bad Monkey is great for a boost type OD. If you're spending a bit more coin, the Ibanez TS9DX or Fulltone OCD are better.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Feb 18, 2009,
Thanks a lot for your recommendations. Keep the help coming.

Will these combos you're recommending have enough power and low end to hold up in a medium sized bar gig themselves? Or would I need to run them through a cab like I'm currently doing? Or could an EQ/pedals make up for that?
They've all got good low end response considering they are combos. My personal recommendation is the Traynor YCV50blue if you're wanting to stick with the marshall sound. IMO it does it better than the jcm2000 by a long shot. The mesa F/DC are both good amps, maybe too much gain for what you want, but good nonetheless. The classic 30 is a good bet as well, though admittedly I prefer the traynore for the same kinds of tones. This all assumes you're in the US.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Yes I'm in Pittsburgh actually. I few people have recommended the Peavey Classic 50 410 to me, a TON of people have recommended Fender, 1-2 recommended the Radial Plexitube pedal on any decent amp, and also a few have mentioned Laney amps. Any thoughts on these suggestions? I'm not necessarily wanting to maintain the "Marshall sound" so much as forge my own sound according to the criteria I mentioned in the original post.
The deluxe reverb reissue is a very nice amp, even though it is a bit out of your range. It's only 22 watts so getting some breakup would be pretty easy, then toss the muff on there and you'll have some dirt. It's worth a try anyways

If you were looking for only cleans the HRDeluxe and Blues deluxe would be worth a look, but their overdrive channels definitely leave something so be desired.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
vox ac30 / fender hotrod.
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
i think maybe you should stick with the marshally sound, but you need a different amp for that b/c the JCM2000 is aimed towards higher modern gain sounds. personally, i think you should try and sell it, hope to get close to around $1000 and get a ceriatone plexi copy. 18 watts i believe, easy to naturally OD, and it's a plexi...need i say more? doesn't get much more classic than that!!

of course if you need a lotta clean cleans then fender would be a better route.

my two cent.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by joeytroupe
Yes I'm in Pittsburgh actually. I few people have recommended the Peavey Classic 50 410 to me, a TON of people have recommended Fender, 1-2 recommended the Radial Plexitube pedal on any decent amp, and also a few have mentioned Laney amps. Any thoughts on these suggestions? I'm not necessarily wanting to maintain the "Marshall sound" so much as forge my own sound according to the criteria I mentioned in the original post.

where in pittsburgh? i live like right outside in allegheny county,

anyways,

id say look into some traynors or an ac30
A marshally sound is perfect for you but that amp doesn't seem to cut it.

Check out a YCV50, Classic 30, V33, even the windsor. But try and up your budget a bit and get a ceriatone. I have no doubt that a JTM45 would be perfect