Sup guys, been a while.

I've been presented with a project here, my friend has a 76' Squier Bullet. IT SOUNDS LIKE A FENDER. You know they are slimmer than normal strats (duh?).

Well, it does not have a tremolo (nor the cavity for it) Just a fixed bridge (which is quite good i might add, godly sustain). But we want to add a tremolo to it. I would need to route the cavity with carefull since it's a slimmer body so i want to ask pointers to people who knows about this since i'm limited to just making adjustments and stuff like that.

Is there anything specific i need to know about this guys? I'm not doing the job, i'm going to someone who works with wood and has the tools, i'm just giving him the pointers about what to do.

Waiting answers about this, Mike.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by Line6
Sup guys, been a while.

I've been presented with a project here, my friend has a 76' Squier Bullet. IT SOUNDS LIKE A FENDER. You know they are slimmer than normal strats (duh?).

Well, it does not have a tremolo (nor the cavity for it) Just a fixed bridge (which is quite good i might add, godly sustain). But we want to add a tremolo to it. I would need to route the cavity with carefull since it's a slimmer body so i want to ask pointers to people who knows about this since i'm limited to just making adjustments and stuff like that.

Is there anything specific i need to know about this guys? I'm not doing the job, i'm going to someone who works with wood and has the tools, i'm just giving him the pointers about what to do.

Waiting answers about this, Mike.

no he doesn't. The Bullet wasn't made by squier till '83... Squier didn't even make guitars until 81, IIRC. They sometimes used old logos/numbers and a lot of 80's isntruments got "Sx" seriel numbers, making them seem like 70's instruments at first glance. I almost bought a "desert taupe" 83 with an "s8" number on it, until I realized the bridge and pickup covers were dead giveaways for an 80's model, popping the neck off confirmed it to be an 83.

In anycase, don't carve that body up, those things are sweet little axes. Just have him get a new guitar, instead of desecrating a seemingly rare guitar that's a piece of music history.

Is it the two pickup or three pickup version?
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Thomme
no he doesn't. The Bullet wasn't made by squier till '83... Squier didn't even make guitars until 81, IIRC. They sometimes used old logos/numbers and a lot of 80's isntruments got "Sx" seriel numbers, making them seem like 70's instruments at first glance. I almost bought a "desert taupe" 83 with an "s8" number on it, until I realized the bridge and pickup covers were dead giveaways for an 80's model, popping the neck off confirmed it to be an 83.

In anycase, don't carve that body up, those things are sweet little axes. Just have him get a new guitar, instead of desecrating a seemingly rare guitar that's a piece of music history.

Is it the two pickup or three pickup version?

Couldn't agree more about, well pretty much everything, this man speaks the truth, and besides a guitar THAT old shouldn't really have anything done to it except be played.
No, don't screw with it, get another guitar to **** with... a new bullet strat? they're pretty nice, actually.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
if you really want, Chris over at Chris' Guitars has a sunburst HSH bullet body already routed for a tremelo
http://www.chrisguitars.com/parts.html
he's asking $65 plus shipping, that's probably going to be your best plan of action, so you don't ruin the vintage bullet.
I'd leave it dude. From what I've heard, those old Squiers are some seriously respectable axes. I almost hate Fender for letting Squiers go all to hell.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
dont touch it dude. what you have there my friend, is an antique.

my friend has a wicked old squier, it plays like a dream.

he decided he wanted to make it look more "psychedelic" and "old", so he staind the neck and colored all over the pickguard with markers.

stupid f**k
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

IT SOUNDS LIKE A FENDER...that is the most annoying fcking statement SQUIRES DO NOT SOUND LIKE FENDERS WHY WOULD THEY MAKE CHEAPER GUITARS THAT ARE AS GOOD AS THERE TOP QUALITY?!?!?!?!?
Last edited by BucketHayden at Feb 19, 2009,
Quote by BucketHayden
IT SOUNDS LIKE A FENDER...that is the most annoying fcking statement SQUIRES DO NOT SOUND LIKE FENDERS WHY WOULD THEY MAKE CHEAPER GUITARS THAT ARE AS GOOD AS THERE TOP QUALITY?!?!?!?!?

It's an old Squier, not a new one.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by BucketHayden

Because sir, you are missing ONE ****LOAD of info on these guitars...

Thanks guys for the advice. The problem is... We have 2 of these babies ^w^ One black with the trem (Affinity) And one dark blue with fixed bridge (Which we assumed it's a bullet since the slimmer OVERALL profile, not just the guitar, the neck is sorta little too but it makes your fingers go fly all over around.

Having this heard i'm just getting a new set of saddles, pups and tuners for it. And tell him to get a monster amp to make it sound all over the place.

My 05' Squier isn't bad itself, i might just make upgrades to her aswell :P Paintjob?

swirl Ftw!! And put a tremking and some new pickups in it
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by BucketHayden

What the hell are you spamming for? Did you even read any of the posts?
I reported him for spam and harassment already.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by Dr. House
What the hell are you spamming for? Did you even read any of the posts?

The doctor is right!!!!

We are leaving the pups in in the 76' and getting new tuners saddles and nut.

Groover tuners, some Graph Tech Ferra Glide saddles and a graphite nut.

My 05' strat in other hands is getting FULL revival lol. Already stripped it down, starting sanding today later in the afternoon or toomorrow. My friend works at a car painting place and were using the same method on this. A REALLY NICE RED would look hot *winks* And for this baby not just anything is enough. I'm still deciding if getting for me a HH SSH or leave it as a SSS config (It already came routed for HH or SSH, Squier saved me some job if i decide to switch to another one :P) And for my hardware i'm going around the same. As soon as i decide the config i will select my pups. I plan on adding some onboard effects (Still have not decided this) Maybe the EMG afterburner for that quick boost it might be handy (Since i go from simple clean things to the most crunchy sounding metal this boost can be more handy than a pedal). Not like i'll be live ducking to adjust my dist. to something else or by every song. EW. Our songs are in B tuning but i play in standard since i'm lead i need the extra octaves hehe.

I'm so dam happy to see my project up and running ^_^ Will post pics tonight when i get my cam!!! My friend took he's strat home till parts arrive so for now it's all about my strat hehe. I think he told Bernard since he's more skilled in this than me to help him out since he really wants to add a tremolo to this Squier even though now i suggested him not to do it thanks to you guys suggestions ^.^ So happy to have you here guys.

So yah, i need to go to afternoon quimic's class so i'll be home at like 3:30 to start out. Peace and have fun!

Last edited by Line6 at Feb 19, 2009,
Quote by Line6
The doctor is right!!!!

We are leaving the pups in in the 76' and getting new tuners saddles and nut.

Groover tuners, some Graph Tech Ferra Glide saddles and a graphite nut.

My 05' strat in other hands is getting FULL revival lol. Already stripped it down, starting sanding today later in the afternoon or toomorrow. My friend works at a car painting place and were using the same method on this. A REALLY NICE RED would look hot *winks* And for this baby not just anything is enough. I'm still deciding if getting for me a HH SSH or leave it as a SSS config (It already came routed for HH or SSH, Squier saved me some job if i decide to switch to another one :P) And for my hardware i'm going around the same. As soon as i decide the config i will select my pups. I plan on adding some onboard effects (Still have not decided this) Maybe the EMG afterburner for that quick boost it might be handy (Since i go from simple clean things to the most crunchy sounding metal this boost can be more handy than a pedal). Not like i'll be live ducking to adjust my dist. to something else or by every song. EW. Our songs are in B tuning but i play in standard since i'm lead i need the extra octaves hehe.

I'm so dam happy to see my project up and running ^_^ Will post pics tonight when i get my cam!!! My friend took he's strat home till parts arrive so for now it's all about my strat hehe. I think he told Bernard since he's more skilled in this than me to help him out since he really wants to add a tremolo to this Squier even though now i suggested him not to do it thanks to you guys suggestions ^.^ So happy to have you here guys.

So yah, i need to go to afternoon quimic's class so i'll be home at like 3:30 to start out. Peace and have fun!

so... you didn't read my post apparently... which model of bullet is it specifically? Is it the two pickup model with the bridge/pickgaurd integrated together or the 3 pickup or what? And it is not a '76. In 1976 the Squier name was nothing but guitar strings.

From the way you describe it, it actually sounds like one of the new bullets.

ok... brief history lesson.... ok?
The Fender Bullet was the replacement for the Mustang, Bronco and Musicmaster guitars (also, the Duosonic), all of which were discontinued by 1981 (I believe all but the Mustang were discontinued by 1980, actually, I wanna say the 'stang lasted an extra year).
Originally, the bullet was a Korean prototype, then a Korean made, American Crafted guitar, but didn't really cut it quality wise. So, by the end of the first year, the Bullets had been crafted and assembled in 3 differant ways (region wise) it was a single cutaway guitar with a telecaster style headstock and a 7/8 size body.
After that, they introduced a three pickup model in 1982, which had a double cut-a-way, tremelo and a maple fretboard. These were both American made and assembled instruments.
In 1982, Fender/CBS began using factories in Japan to produce vintage reissues of the '52 tele, '57 strat, '62 J-bass and 57' P-bass, thus launching the Squier JV line, the first "Squier guitars." These guitars had "Fender" logos with "Squier series" in small script on the bulb of the headstock. Prior to this, V.C. Squier was a string company subsidiary of CBS that produced the "Esquier Strings." This also helped Fender combat low priced Japanese guitars like Tokai, Ibanez and other companies producing through the fujigen factory (which is ironic, as Fender would use these same companies to produce their japanese made guitars!) Fender also began produce Fender CIJ/MIJ guitars due to a retooling and construction of a new factory in corona ca.
In 1983, Fender/CBS shifted production and assemblage of the "Bullet" model to Squier in Japan and produced 3 variants: a 3 single coil model with a tremelo, a 3 single coil model with a hardtail and a dual humbucker model with a hardtail.
They produced these guitars for a while, actually and seriel number dating was sketchy at best, as I have previously stated, in the 80's: those seriel numbers are almost meaningless! These bullets have a distinctive body shape and pickguard that's reminiscent of a strat, but can definately not be mistaken as one. The guitar lacks the recessed output jack (as did all Bullets at this point) with a sharp end on the pickguard's lower bout.

Now, in the 2000's, FMIC started producing three variations of the Bullet that were "new" in the (I believe) Korean factories. They're essentially Squier Affinity series strats with plywood bodies, instead of solid wood. The Bullets come in three variations, still. 3 single coil, tremelo; 3 single coil, hardtail; and a 3/4 size guitar.

From what you're saying... you've got a slim profile 1976 Squier Bullet with no tremelo and a short scale.... hmmmkay.... What I'm thinking you actually have is one of two things: a 1983 or newer Squier Bullet III hardtail, or a new Squier Bullet Mini... just my idea, though.
Last edited by Thomme at Feb 19, 2009,
Hey Thomme, thanks for the info, it helped me alot but i was guiding myself by the serial number which i can't clearly remember right now (Just the starting letters i can't remember, the numbers are 763026). So with this, this is may be a newer model bullet with the neck switched to one old as hell (Because it DOES feel that old compared to other new guitars) with a slim body profile. Hmmmm... This gives me a headeache :S Though, that is off my hands, he's going to Bernardo's to get he's tremolo installed so now this thread is all about my 05' Squier

Posting pics of it as soon as posibble, already dissambled and everything is safe and sound in my room, bout to go to buy sanding paper and start the heck of a job RAWR!!!

Thomme, that info was usefull, i'll take notes of that for my next time with this kind of guitars. <3

Mike~

actually, generally, the way seriels numbers with Fender USA and Mexico work is either starting with MN or N. They use letter codes to indicate the factory and decade of manufacture. Some of the early japanese models adhere to the American dating system.

If it starts with an E before that 76, then it's an 87.
There's also the "crafted" vs. "made" in japan guitars. MIJ guitars are built in the Fujigen factory, but CIJ guitars are built in the Tokai factory.
Also, IIRC, CY is the Chinese made squier factory code, SH is the Indian made squier code, I for indonesia, then a letter indicating the factory, I think C is cort and S in samick, Korean are the same as the Indonesian, KS or KC for the same companies, only their korean factories... I think that's about it, but those prefixes are then followed by 2 numbers, indicating the year.
I know that some of the older Korean models actually used a system similar to the MIM and MIA fenders, where it would be Cx, Sx, or Vx depending on what factory it came from, x being the variable decade indicator (N for ninties, Z for 2000's, E for Eighties)
Some of them just have numbers, thought, or have specific prefixes for their lines, the Japanese ones are usually like that.
Wow, Thomme, i love when you talk about things i don't know lol. It's so good to be learning this stuff :3

Well, as promised PICS!!!!!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/unit101/SN850305.jpg The guitar complete (Note, i know my Squier is also Dark Blue as my friend's 76' one).

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/unit101/SN850664.jpg After 5 mins. with a screwdriver :P

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/unit101/SN850667.jpg I'm thinking about scalloping such a nice neck 0.0 I love it >w<

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/unit101/SN850675.jpg A blurryish' close up of how the guitar looks (Yesh, that's a HSH routing, still haven't decided what it will be when i put it back together =[)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/unit101/SN850669.jpg This pickguard looks so nicely done for such a cheap guitar IMO ^_^

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/unit101/SN850674.jpg How all the screws and stuffies look on a zip-lock mini bag in my sorta gigantic hands hehe :P

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/unit101/SN850676.jpg YAY! Tools to strip paint and add then back on again lol!~ I was lucky to get some Acrylic Polyereuthine remover <3 And the shop was just about to close lol, i was last client of the day hehe.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/unit101/SN850677.jpg YAY! I had enough time to make Pasta, YUM! PASTAAAAA!!!!~~~ (A man gotta feed himself RAWR!~).

I will start with the paint removing and stuff toomorrow so expect updates regulary.

Now i will ask people to go voting to see something, if you would play metal, hard rock and Some Blues And Jazz every now and then. Which pickup configuration would you prefer AND Which pickups.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/prewihupiblo.html

One of my friends reccomended me this set, he has it and it does sounds sweet but i really dunno that much since i barely got to test the bridge pickup a bit =[ So if anyone has any suggestions about what i could use just SHOUT IT. I will hear everything

Mmmm.....pasta......

Oh, by the way, good luck!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
wait... is this your '05 or your friends' "76"? Cause, that's clearly a MUCH more recent korean/chinese made bullet.
I was impressed by all the knowledge of guitars and was wondering what anyone can tell me about my 01' Squier strat. For some reason I wanted to say it was made in Indonesia and it has a tremolo system. I just started my customization of it
Quote by TylerB1717
I was impressed by all the knowledge of guitars and was wondering what anyone can tell me about my 01' Squier strat. For some reason I wanted to say it was made in Indonesia and it has a tremolo system. I just started my customization of it

there's a sticker or stamp on it that tells you that. Lacking that, what's the seriel number?
Quote by Thomme
wait... is this your '05 or your friends' "76"? Cause, that's clearly a MUCH more recent korean/chinese made bullet.

This is my '05. My friend's '76 is the same color but slightly bigger and it's all beat up.

And god, what eye you there Thomme. Well, could you reccomend anything in the pickups sections? Since i see you know so much let's see what you can come up with :P

Tyler, it's cool to see more people getting their Squiers modded like you hehe. Glad to hear you love yours ^_^ I LOVE both of my Squier's. Look into it if you have the time and join the Squier Group <3.

Well, time for me to go to bed, updates toomorrow when i start telling bye bye to this FUGLY paint ^w^

Quote by Line6
This is my '05. My friend's '76 is the same color but slightly bigger and it's all beat up.

And god, what eye you there Thomme. Well, could you reccomend anything in the pickups sections? Since i see you know so much let's see what you can come up with :P

Tyler, it's cool to see more people getting their Squiers modded like you hehe. Glad to hear you love yours ^_^ I LOVE both of my Squier's. Look into it if you have the time and join the Squier Group <3.

Well, time for me to go to bed, updates toomorrow when i start telling bye bye to this FUGLY paint ^w^

what kind of sound do you want out of it? I kind'a know a bit about pickups.
I want to have cleans, hmhmmm, sweet cleans for Jazz but at the same time the fierce attack, growl, punch and everything you need for Metal and for it to be more for a lead style guitarrist (YAY! I'm lead :P) So, that's mainly what i want.

My friend told me to get 2 humbuckers, others tell me to get a SSH config and others to just use SSS with some single coil buckers. Ok, i get that, NOW HELP ME DECIDE WHICH PICKUPS BECAUSE ABOUT THOSE CONFIG I CAN PRETTY MUCH FIGURE THEM OUT MYSELF @.@

Well, anyone can help guys. Which to hear from everyone out there :P

Ok guys, i had some friends instruct me on help for something and decided to go for the super strat wiring and use 3 lil humbuckers :3

http://store.guitarfetish.com/toshsukit.html This pickguard.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/casetof3lilk.html This pups.

I'm painting the guitar White white white Sorta like Artic white Which will look SEXAY with that pickguard :P

http://images.guitarcenter.com/products/optionlarge/SquierbyFender/461774jpg.jpg

I'm sorta using that pic as reference to what i want but i think the tortoise shell will look better on it than that brown thing Ew~

Oh, btw i'm scalloping the neck from 12-21 since i mostly work over there when we play and this is the guitar i'll use just for the band :O

1 hour to noon! I will start applying paint remover and sanding this afternoon!!!~ Just about as i get home. Thomme, don't worry about the pups now :P This lil killers will do WAY too fine.

Expect more updates soon! This will rock my world out ^w^

Last edited by Line6 at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by Thomme
no he doesn't. The Bullet wasn't made by squier till '83... Squier didn't even make guitars until 81, IIRC. They sometimes used old logos/numbers and a lot of 80's isntruments got "Sx" seriel numbers, making them seem like 70's instruments at first glance.

Squier didn't make guitars until '83. Before about '66, it was a string company and from about '66-'83, it lay dormant until Fender decided he needed a way to beat out those imports (mostly Japanese).
Hullo my peeps!! It's time for an update aight? I went to sleep last night while having in my mind the paint falling off my guitar lol Dominican paint remover just ROCKZ.

I woke up today to find my surprise something pretty cool, my paint stripped body lol. I left it rest untill i was home from work tonight and started sanding. It needed wood filler here and there so after i quickly sanded some parts i got the filler on till' toomorrow where i'll keep working :P

So here are some pics of my work today

Now in the night after some sanding and applying the filler

Thanks god i didn't need that much @.@

Sooo, guys i'm in a dillema that needs to be solved ASAP >.< Because i already want to finish lol.

I've walked the town from end to end looking for some primer or wood sealer of any kind =.= For my surprize i found NONE ANYWHERE, most of theme didn't even knew what i was talking about lol. Now what i need help is to know what i could use as a substitute for primer or wood sealer, anything that works just suggest it because this made me nervous since i don't have this it might end in a crappy work >.< Which i don't want to.

I already ordered the lil killers and the new pickguard set for the super strat mod!~

I will start scalloping the neck after i finish with the body painting and stuff

Oh, btw, i made the table i'm using at the first pics myself :P That's one of my main proud works with wood lol

Quote by Invader Jim
Squier didn't make guitars until '83. Before about '66, it was a string company and from about '66-'83, it lay dormant until Fender decided he needed a way to beat out those imports (mostly Japanese).

I know they were selling V.C. Squier strings in the late 60's/early 70's, as they used Jimi on the adds. But, I thought the japanese JV series came out in 81.
Hey, what stripper did you use?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Hey, what stripper did you use?

Pintura's Tropical Paint Stripper. It's a dominican brand and i just know one thing about this. IT ROCKZ.

I already finished the sanding proccess this morning but i still need help on what to substitute primer for =[ I heard around someone mentioned wood glue but i dunno....

Have you checked your local Lowe's? They should have everything you need there.
Quote by TylerB1717
Have you checked your local Lowe's? They should have everything you need there.

I guess people skip reading some parts :P DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. I'm lucky to be on solid land here lol... We don't have lowe's, home depot or none of those big USA industries >.<

Thomme: I cbf to remember when EXACTLY they made guitars, but from the 60s-70s, they were a string company.

Idk. I can't remember **** right now. Just wiki Squier.
Quote by Invader Jim
Thomme: I cbf to remember when EXACTLY they made guitars, but from the 60s-70s, they were a string company.

Idk. I can't remember **** right now. Just wiki Squier.

that's what I said. Before 81, the Squier name was used solely on strings.
Quote by Invader Jim
Didn't read the whole thread...

-5 =.=

So, i researched some more guys and i'm wondering if something i read was right... I heard that wood glue closed wood grain (Which i don't think it's fiasible which is why i'm asking lol). What do you guys say?

It does. It fills the pores as it hardens. That's why a broken joint that was glued back togethewr is stronger than the surrounding wood.

There's no chemical bond, only mechanical.