I was playing around on my bass the other day and came up with an interesting melody, and worked it into a scale of some sort. I have a feeling this scale has a proper name, so that where you guys come in. Here's the mystery scale:

-------------------------------------------
----------------------------1---2---------
------------------------2-----------------
--------------4---5-----------------------
-----3---5--------------------------------
Quote by Steel_Wave
I was playing around on my bass the other day and came up with an interesting melody, and worked it into a scale of some sort. I have a feeling this scale has a proper name, so that where you guys come in. Here's the mystery scale:

----------------------------1---2---------
------------------------2-----------------
--------------4---5-----------------------
-----3---5--------------------------------

G A C# D E G# A

Not a diatonic scale. Probably best to call it G lydian with an accidental note added (G#)

EDIT: to me it seems to resolve on the A. So A mixilydian missing out the sixth, and adding an accidental G#.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Feb 18, 2009,
G A C# D E G# A are the notes. As cou can see, it's not diatonic, the G and G#... Yeah.

On what note does the melody sound complete (Resolved)?

And I wouldn't go so far as to call it modal, because TS hasn't stated a harmony, which is a big deciding factor.
Last edited by one vision at Feb 18, 2009,
Why couldn't it be A major with an accidental G?
To be brave is to take action in spite of fear. It is impossible to be brave without first being afraid. To take action without fear is not brave, it is foolish.
Yeah, I didn't see your post until I had already replied.
To be brave is to take action in spite of fear. It is impossible to be brave without first being afraid. To take action without fear is not brave, it is foolish.
Then I would say A major.
k its just weird because of the order i put the notes i guess. also because the melody i made just didn't seem so sound "major" so to speak (also added a C in it). Well, thanks all time to get back to that song.
At first glance it looks like Lydian, but it'd probably be considered A Major because it resolves to A, unless thats not the end of the melody or something.
It's perhaps reading too much into it, but adding chromatic passing tones has been done before... bebop. But that's just what I'd think of when presented with such a set of notes. However one vision is right, with no idea of the harmony it's a shot in the dark to claim it's something which has to be so involved with it.