So I am going out to buy a new guitar soon, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to a couple models. One is a Squier that has the Duncan designed Hot Rails in it, and it runs for about $280. That is one choice. The other would be to buy a cheaper Squier from a pawn shop (one that has a humbucker in the bridge position), and buy a Seymour Duncan SH-4 pickup in the bridge position and maybe upgrade the others later. I plan to play a variety of things, from metal to punk to blues-y stuff. What would you guys recommend? Would I get a good sound out of a used Squier with a new pickup or should I go for the new Squier with the Hot Rails? Thanks in advance.
I'd recommend don't get a Squire, at all. They're horrible guitars; plenty of better guitars in your price range.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
squires are absolutely dreadful. keep looking around. perhaps a used ibanez might float ur boat. maybe not, but they do me wonders lol
For that price (or less) you might be able to get a used HSS mexi strat off craigslist. Or if you can just save up the extra $100 bucks you could buy one new...i'd consider that completely worth it. the mexi strat is just a whole lot nicer...

Quote by Sthe
Lol, whats the point of having a Squier with nice accessories? Squiers arent that great. Just get a MIM Strat or something.

I have a Squier. I recently upgraded and got a Gretsch Electromatic Special Jet. And I like it so far.
Yeah don't get a Squier. I had one and it wouldn't stay in tune for 10 minutes of playing. Go for the Fender instead or maybe an Epiphone Les Paul of some sort.....
My Gear:
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
The squier Classic vibe series are amazing and $300. I have the tele and it is awesome. No tuning problems. Many people say they could slap a fender badge on it and sell it for twice as much. Google it.
Quote by Grown
The squier Classic vibe series are amazing and $300. I have the tele and it is awesome. No tuning problems. Many people say they could slap a fender badge on it and sell it for twice as much. Google it.

Or you could just pay $100 more and get the real deal...
Quote by aaronob

What's the real deal? An MIM? Isn't that a knock off too?
Last edited by Grown at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by AlanHB
I'd recommend don't get a Squire, at all. They're horrible guitars; plenty of better guitars in your price range.

I disagree; the only bad parts on a Squire are the terrible stock pick-ups, which he plans on replacing. The tuners aren't very good either but it keeps in tune well enough.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Hear we go, someone mentions wanting to buy a Squier and all guitar snobs come out, the truth is that Squiers are no worse than any other low end brand, if you have tried the guitar and like it then buy it after all what people like and dislike about a certain guitar is a personal thing, if you haven't tried it then I suggest you do, the biggest thing with lower end guitars is inconsistancy, try a few of the same model and pick the one you like best.
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
^
This guy has it right. Don't try to tell him that something that he wants is crap. Cuz maybe its all that he can afford, and anymore its the player that makes the guitar.

Just go to a store and try out both models and get whatever one feels best and if you like the one with the hot rails then get it, if not then get the other since your going to be upgrading it later.
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.
For that price you could get an ibanez RG
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Squires are just like MGs.. they're not great but they're not as bas as everyone says they are. But because people believe everything they hear on the internet, all low-end gear from high-end companies eventually develops a reputation that makes it out to be the worst product on the market.

Funny thing about both Squires and MGs actually; only the internet hates them. Ask any guitar player or any person that works at a music store; to them Squires are just another brand of low-end guitars and MGs are just another brand of low-end amplifiers. Yet, on this website and other forums, so many people got all of their supposed knowledge and experience of how bad they are from idiotic threads, posts, and reviews. Every time someone makes a post on how incredibly terrible and unreliable they are, all the idiots that read it take it as the 11th Commandment and start posting about "how this one time, they tried one out at the store and it broke in their hands" or how "it's the worst-sounding, unreliable thing ever". The fact is, they've probably never played one, or even touched one.

All low-end gear from high-end companies will be hated on the internet. Because of the name on the product, it is sold more. More sales means more lemons and more people to report their faults, so naturally there are more horror stories of Marshall MGs and Fender Squires than other low-end gear because the products with high-end names are sold more than other low-end gear tenfold.

Don't listen to ANY review or post on this website. Go to the store and try guitars and amps yourself.
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by aaronob

That's a bit of a pointless statement, for example there is no real comparison between say a Squier Vintage modified Telecaster with P90's at £269

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/squier_vintage_modified_telecaster_custom_2_black.html

and a Standard MIM Telecaster at £352

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/info_00037108.html

They are completly different features wise.

The closest comparison would be this.

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/info_00059383.html

and at £680 it's a hell of a lot more than $100 extra for the real deal.
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Last edited by Andy Jarvis at Feb 20, 2009,
I don't get why people moan when someone gets a really good guitar when they first start playing, but people also moan when they go for a low end guitar to start with.
Fender US Standard Strat '07
Epiphone Les Paul '94
Marshall MG100FX
Dunlop Cry Baby
Boss ME-70
Boss TU-2
If you only have a couple hundred to spend on a guitar, I would go used. And I think everyone hates on MG's and Squires because you can get much better stuff for the same price. Sure there are exceptions, and you could luck into a squire that was accidentally well made, but Ibanez, Yamaha, and many more companies make better guitars for the same money. If you are planning on spending 300 bucks on a brand new squire you can find them used on craigslist for under 100 bucks. Or 200 with an amp. PErsonally I would save up a few hundred more where you could get a used Gibson SG or American Strat.
Last edited by Chetbango at Feb 21, 2009,
Quote by Chetbango
If you only have a couple hundred to spend on a guitar, I would go used. And I think everyone hates on MG's and Squires because you can get much better stuff for the same price. Sure there are exceptions, and you could luck into a squire that was accidentally well made, but Ibanez, Yamaha, and many more companies make better guitars for the same money. If you are planning on spending 300 bucks on a brand new squire you can find them used on craigslist for under 100 bucks. Or 200 with an amp. PErsonally I would save up a few hundred more where you could get a used Gibson SG or American Strat.

So what makes them better as compared to Squiers? Better woodwork? Nicer pickups?
Quote by Chetbango
If you only have a couple hundred to spend on a guitar, I would go used. And I think everyone hates on MG's and Squires because you can get much better stuff for the same price. Sure there are exceptions, and you could luck into a squire that was accidentally well made, but Ibanez, Yamaha, and many more companies make better guitars for the same money. If you are planning on spending 300 bucks on a brand new squire you can find them used on craigslist for under 100 bucks. Or 200 with an amp. Personally I would save up a few hundred more where you could get a used Gibson SG or American Strat.

The Squier CV is no accident. Thousands have been made at a consistent quality. Most people have to order them because they go so quick once the hit the showroom floor. An lol at Yamaha and Ibanez making a great low end guitar. They are solid, but have no personality whatsoever.
Last edited by Grown at Feb 21, 2009,
Quote by Grown
The Squier CV is no accident. Thousands have been made at a consistent quality. Most people have to order them because they go so quick once the hit the showroom floor. An lol at Yamaha and Ibanez making a great low end guitar. They are solid, but have no personality whatsoever.

I disagree; I have a 1998 Ibanez GSA60 (it was my first guitar) and it's a great guitar. I still play it sometimes because the playability on it is a lot better than on my Les Paul. Don't get me wrong; I love the Les Paul to death, but with its thick neck, fat neck joint, and large frets it's not exactly a shred guitar.

The tone on the GSA60 is not bad at all. Like you said, it doesn't have much personality, but it does get a nice crunch out of the neck humbucker, which is really all you need as long as your amp is good. It has an agathis body; not as good as alder but a lot better than the basswood that other low-end guitars are made of.
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by TheOrangeRift
So what makes them better as compared to Squiers? Better woodwork? Nicer pickups?

That is a good question. Yes, better woodwork, tighter tolerances, generally better components. I am unfamiliar with the Squire CV, so maybe that is a better guitar, but the Squires I have seen have been pretty shoddy, fret buzz, high action, noisy electronics, etc. As far as the "personality" I am of the opinion that the beautiful tone and sounds come first from the player, then the amp and lastly the guitar. It is much easier to get nice tone from an Ibanez played through a Marshall 900 or Fender Tweed than a Les Paul or US Strat played through a Marshall MG or low-end Roland amp.

I have been pretty amazed by some of the Ibanez and Yamahas actions and playability, for the price they are among some of the good deals out there. There is a reason you can find Squires with MG15 amps, chords and tuner for 200 bucks on cragslist (I just found 2). It is because they sound horrible and do nothing to motivate you to play. If you have only 200 bucks, it is a great deal. But personally, I would work an extra job for a month or two and save up about 1000 bucks where you can get a decent used guitar and amp.