I use Reaper to record and mix, but I have no idea how to make a song start out muddy.
Is there anyone on UG who knows anything about how to do it or could point me in the direction of someone/somewhere who does?

Honestly I don't think muddy would be the correct term, but here are a couple of songs showing what I mean:
Black Dahlia Murder - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEACzoMJuMA
Whitechapel - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o9tj-xH1qU
I'm not clicking those links, but i assume you want to sound like the intro of every VR song ever?
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
I guess if you get the CD and rub it in the mud near the edges it might work.
If life gives you oranges, say "f*ck oranges" and bail.

Hey You!
frequency filters, i guess. think of how a wah pedal affects the sound when it's in the heel-down position. it sounds like these songs just had a similar filter applied to the first few seconds of the entire track.
I think it's called an automatic filter. Not sure other than that..

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
I think it's an EQ sweep, maybe with a bit of lo fi. No idea how to do it in Reaper.
if you had a Wah Pedal you could try keeping it rocked back and slowly rock it forward and turn it off.
Main Gear:

Xaviere XV-870
w/ 2 "Dream 180" Humbuckers + Mid Boost Mod + Coil Tap

Peavey Classic 30

Modified Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Digitech Bass Synth Wah
GFS Twin Overdrive
Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Line 6 DL4
Boss ME-70

fuzz ped?

You can never fucking trust Canada when Canada decides to report on world news that doesn't concern Canada. Canada is only in it for Canada's sake. Canada doesn't even know Batman.

Fuck Canada
I would say an equaliser and reverb, reverb to make the music sound like its across the room, and block out all the mids and highs with the equaliser to make it sound far away (bass travels further through walls etc.)
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
I got an effect like that using EQ and automation in logic, but I'm fairly sure reaper doesn't have automation so I wouldn't know. You could play around with the EQ to get a muddy sound easily, but you wouldn't have that sweep effect.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam
I got an effect like that using EQ and automation in logic, but I'm fairly sure reaper doesn't have automation so I wouldn't know. You could play around with the EQ to get a muddy sound easily, but you wouldn't have that sweep effect.

I think I know how to do it now, unfortunately my computer isn't available right now for me to try it. Reaper DOES have automation though. I just gotta figure out how to use it. It can't be too hard is it?
High pass filter, my friend.

Last edited by Your Mother : Today at 03:44 PM
Quote by Metallica708
High pass filter, my friend.

I figured it out, low pass filter my friend XP.