Now don't go telling me to put this in the Tbird thread as it actually has little significance to the tbird itself.

I had a old 5 string set lying around (don't ask me how i don't even have a 5er) and saw my old epi, and basically put them together.
I filed the nut and now string it BEAD. It was a fairly simple transition as i just used the strings themselves to widen the nut slots (took 5 mins) and with a quick turn on the truss rod it was playable.

My question is do many of you tune your basses this way and in what context do you find it most useful?

I realise similar threads have been made before on tuning 4 strigs to BEAD, but i'm not looking for advice on should i/how to do it.

I also did this as an experiment to see what a 5 string bass would be like with 34" scale due to the fact that i will be building a 5 string soon. It has turned out surprisingly unfloppy.

are people overreacting when they say 34" scale basses dont work for 5 strings?

thanks

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
so on a scale of 1-10 how muddy is it NOW

and i think you sorta answered your second question, didn't you?
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
the 35" scale thing is more comfort than anything else. i demand a 35" for my 5ers because i like the B to feel as tight as the other strings and with a 34" it just doesn't cut it. also a longer scale gives a stronger more defined low end to the tone
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Its all personal preference

I personally think the difference between a 35 inch neck and a 34 inch neck for 5ers is almost non existent if you use a hybrid set of strings, or if you don't hit your B string with a baseball bat, but that's just me.
Quote by capslockisnton
so on a scale of 1-10 how muddy is it NOW

and i think you sorta answered your second question, didn't you?

It is alright actually. Not the clearest tone ever but then again the strings i have on are really quite old/used.

Quote by skater dan0
the 35" scale thing is more comfort than anything else. i demand a 35" for my 5ers because i like the B to feel as tight as the other strings and with a 34" it just doesn't cut it. also a longer scale gives a stronger more defined low end to the tone

Hmm i just gave my strings a quick feel and i agree that there is less tension in the b string, but so far it hasn't been particularly noticable when playing.

I guess i will have to try out a 35 scale now to compare/contrast them.

Cheers for the replies guys.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
To be honest, I think my 34" 6er's feel fine. I like the B a little loose, though I honestly can't call it loose.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
chris build me a bass
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by telecastrmastr
so u have a REALLY deep bass that is a tbird?

basically yeah.

Quote by skater dan0
chris build me a bass

who is chris?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I belireve chris is nutter.

I also prefer my b to be 35", as i found from my 5 string jazz especially when playing over the neck pickup. But i find the rest of the strings fine at 34", maybe some of those single saddle things, different tensiuons for different strings.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I've found this whole 34"/35" scale the quintessence of overreaction - I own several 34" scaled instruments with a B string and never have a problem with it. I've played 35" scale basses and didn't find it too terribly essential. Excuse me if I don't think a 3% increase in scale length changes string tension to the point of it going from untolerable to essential.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I've found this whole 34"/35" scale the quintessence of overreaction - I own several 34" scaled instruments with a B string and never have a problem with it. I've played 35" scale basses and didn't find it too terribly essential. Excuse me if I don't think a 3% increase in scale length changes string tension to the point of it going from untolerable to essential.

I agree with this. I've never really noticed a difference playing all different scale length basses. Except for the short-scale 30" ones. I hate those.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Thanks for all your replies guys.

I think i'm just gonna have to try out a load of basses of different scale lengths before i decide what i like.

Only problem is that most music shops around here mainly stock electric guitars, pianos and drums. Bass hardly gets a look in. You are luckly if you get more then a few squiers and a fender.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I use a 34" 5er and my B string is pretty damn tight. If you want it to be taught, you need heavier strings. I use a 0.135 low B and quite frankly, it kicks ass.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
I use a 34" 5er and my B string is pretty damn tight. If you want it to be taught, you need heavier strings. I use a 0.135 low B and quite frankly, it kicks ass.

I've got a 130 B i think. It seems to be fine.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
everybody disses the t-bird, but i started on one and i loved it, it was so pretty looking!!!! and since it was my first bass i thought it was excellent, anyone who disses them needs to feel a little ashamed about now.
Try adding more delay.
Quote by telecastrmastr
everybody disses the t-bird, but i started on one and i loved it, it was so pretty looking!!!! and since it was my first bass i thought it was excellent, anyone who disses them needs to feel a little ashamed about now.

I half agree with you here. It does get a lot of stick, but when the chips are down, they play quite well. If i could go back in time i would rather have bought a squier/used fender though.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134