i know you have to adjust the truss rod and the inotation when changing to a thicker string guage, but how do i do this? is there a guide i can follow? i want to put earnie ball 12-56 gauge strings on my alexi-200, but i have no idea how to and the guitar technician near me charges $100 for the job. Thanks
^ $100 ?!?!??!?!?
my tech charges me $10.......

go to the Electric quitar Q&A sticky they can give you the answers
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
lucky man. He charges for time not for difficulty, so he'll keep my guitar there a couple of days, and charge the hell out of me.

I'll check out one of them guitar Q&A's - thanks
You can do this yourself man. I know people are going to bash me saying not to advise you to do that but honestly you have to learn at some point if you plan on playing for a while. It's really not hard. There isn't much you can tear up. The only thing you can mess up on is the truss rod. And you actually got to be pretty stupid and not follow directions at all to mess up with that. And honestly you do not have to adjust the tross rod with all guitars when you change string gauge. IT DEPENDS on where the truss rod is already set. Chances are it won't even need an adjustment and if it does it will probably be very slightly. But if it bows up to much then yes you will. But put the strings on and see if it does first... and as far as setting the intonation that's easy... set your action and then do the intonation. You can look at videos on how to do it. It won't take ya that long and the first time it won't be perfect but you'll keep getting better at it.
Quote by hcsn2008
You can do this yourself man. I know people are going to bash me saying not to advise you to do that

You're wrong. Most people here would advise him to do it himself. Its good to learn these things.
How much you need to adjust the truss rod depends on what gauge strings are on it now. Assuming it has 10-46's now, you'll need to add backbow once you've put the new strings on.
Fret the low e at the first and last. You should adjust the truss rod so that there is about a credit cards thickness between the string and the top of the 9th fret (As its about in the centre of the neck)
You will need to adjust your intonation too.
Quote by littlephil
You're wrong. Most people here would advise him to do it himself. Its good to learn these things.
How much you need to adjust the truss rod depends on what gauge strings are on it now. Assuming it has 10-46's now, you'll need to add backbow once you've put the new strings on.
Fret the low e at the first and last. You should adjust the truss rod so that there is about a credit cards thickness between the string and the top of the 9th fret (As its about in the centre of the neck)

heres your answer. a brilliant explanation
Quote by littlephil

I don't think I'm wrong. most people on here I have seen would say get it setup. I've seen a million times someone ask how to do something and their answer is... take it to a pro. They won't even answer their questions half the time.
Quote by hcsn2008
I don't think I'm wrong. most people on here I have seen would say get it setup. I've seen a million times someone ask how to do something and their answer is... take it to a pro. They won't even answer their questions half the time.

But thats usually people who have only just started and dont even know what the truss rod is. If someone knows a bit and actually wants to do it themselves, they aren't usually told to go to a tech.