I currently play through what is basically a 100 watt frontman with a 12" celestion in it. I've wanted to improve my tone and I have some money to throw around. I play all styles of music (mostly blues and classic rock, but some metal) and I usually play a strat.

I've been planning on getting the GT-10 because it has more pedals than I'll ever need and because I'm confident that with enough tinkering I can get a good sound out of it, even through the fender solid-state amp. Plus It'll be nice to get different sounds for the variety of covers I play.

Is the Boss not really worth it and would you all-knowledgable UGers recommend I just buy a similarly priced tube amp instead? ($450-600 range)

Also, my amp has an input for an 8 ohm external speaker, and if i get the GT-10 I'll probably get another speaker which will increase my output to 160watts (and allow for stereo sound out of the boss). Would I have to change the celestion G12T-100 out for a speaker than can handle 160watts?
Thanks.
i don't think it would be worth it to get those speaker changes you mentioned, or to get another cab.
but i do think the gt10 would sound pretty nice
a good multieffect CAN make ss amps sound good
i would go with the gt 10, i have heard it and nearly cream my pants every time i hear it. but then again i am a boss *****.
Quote by guitaruboy
i don't think it would be worth it to get those speaker changes you mentioned, or to get another cab.
but i do think the gt10 would sound pretty nice
a good multieffect CAN make ss amps sound good

Can I still run a stereo signal out of the Boss into the one speaker? I've heard the mono signal out of the Boss can sound rather ****ty.
I don't know man, tube amps are just the way to go I think. Something about real overdrive compared to SS distortion especially if your playing the blues.
Peavey JSX
Traynor YCV
Fender '68 Bassman
Jetter Gain Stage Red OD
MI Audio Crunch Box
Fulltone Choralflange
Fender Strat
Carvin 7 String
Quote by randomdude
I don't know man, tube amps are just the way to go I think. Something about real overdrive compared to SS distortion especially if your playing the blues.

Yeah, that's my main concern. Although I wouldn't be using the fender distortion anymore, the Boss overdrive simply can't match a good tube.

Quote by guitarfreak
boss sounding ****ty!!!!!! blasphamy

Apologies, no offense intended.
^well what ummm genres do you play??
and your FULL budget for the gear ???
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Your amp has an external "output" for a speaker cab. Adding a speaker will neither make it stereo nor add more power. I wouldn't worry too much about the external speaker. You can improve your tone by putting a multifx in front of your amp. You want to make sure that you keep the output of the multifx low enough so that it doesn't overdrive the input of the Frontman. SS amps don't like being overdriven.

There are a lot of options for multifx and the GT-10 is a good one. But multifx depreciate quickly and the used market is a good place to look for a deal. A GT-8 could be had for the low $200's. A Pod XT Live is a good choice used. No matter which you choose, you'll either be still wanting a tube amp. Or if you get a tube amp you'll still be looking to spend money on FX pedals or a multifx. Separate pedals are expensive, so I see spending in your future.
if its only for home use i'd probably lean to the boss, or maybe a line 6 pod live XT or whatever the good one is.

if you want to do anything band orientated id definitely go for a tube amp, or even if you doubt you're gonna need endless amounts of chorus, delay, phase, etc, etc a tube amp is probably a better option anyway
Quote by fly135
Your amp has an external "output" for a speaker cab. Adding a speaker will neither make it stereo nor add more power. I wouldn't worry too much about the external speaker. You can improve your tone by putting a multifx in front of your amp. You want to make sure that you keep the output of the multifx low enough so that it doesn't overdrive the input of the Frontman. SS amps don't like being overdriven.

There are a lot of options for multifx and the GT-10 is a good one. But multifx depreciate quickly and the used market is a good place to look for a deal. A GT-8 could be had for the low $200's. A Pod XT Live is a good choice used. No matter which you choose, you'll either be still wanting a tube amp. Or if you get a tube amp you'll still be looking to spend money on FX pedals or a multifx. Separate pedals are expensive, so I see spending in your future.

I'm always weary buying used, especially for electronics (after all there are reasons they depreciate quickly).
And this won't only be for home use, I do play gigs here and there. but I'm sure I'll find hours of enjoyment fiddling with the pedal.

But you're telling me that I probably won't be satisfied with the pedal alone, so I guess I either need more cash or I need to make a short-term decision. I guess I can get the pedal now and start a rainy day fund for a future tube amp purchase.
thanks for the help.
Quote by Diamond Dave
if its only for home use i'd probably lean to the boss, or maybe a line 6 pod live XT or whatever the good one is.

if you want to do anything band orientated id definitely go for a tube amp, or even if you doubt you're gonna need endless amounts of chorus, delay, phase, etc, etc a tube amp is probably a better option anyway

+1 on the tube amp

I've tinkered with multifx, at the end one of the following happens:

1. the thing is too complex to use.
2. too many parameters make achieving a good tone easy to achieve
3. you like most of the in-built stuff, but one or two of the effects leave something to be desired, then you get a pedal to overcome that short coming, at which point, you wonder why do you need a multifx when some pedals sound so much better and have a unique tone. Then you go out and buy pedals anyway.

It all happened to me.

So yeah, get the tube since it'd be indespensible for the blues and classic rock. All you need then is some heavy duty overdrive or distortion for the metal and you're kosher.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.