I'm unsure about bass effects, and different brands of bass pedals or stompboxes for bass or w/e, and I am needing a tone for one of my bands songs.

Let me describe it:
A distorted tone, kinda sounds "bottled up"
The tone/bass would stand alone at the moment of use, aka bass solo/interlude
Would a pedal do this for me?
Here is the only example I could find:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkzZdSomtfI
And let me apologize if you don't like At the Gates or metal in general. Skip to 2:26 for interlude...
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
Sounds fuzzy to me. Check out the MRX El Grande.

But if your looking for something more harsh. The Fulltone Bass Driver or The Sansamp are great, but are 200 bucks each. So also check out the MRX Blowtorch, and the AMT Communist Pig.
Quote by Captain Insano
Sounds fuzzy to me. Check out the MRX El Grande.

But if your looking for something more harsh. The Fulltone Bass Driver or The Sansamp are great, but are 200 bucks each. So also check out the MRX Blowtorch, and the AMT Communist Pig.

I love all these names: Blowtorch, Communist Pig

Umm, sice I as a bassist have little experience with effects pedals, how does wiring work? will I just have to purchase another amp cable? Amp-effect-bass?
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
Last edited by PluckU at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by PluckU
I love all these names: Blowtorch, Communist Pig

Umm, sice I as a bassist have little experience with effects pedals, how does wiring work? will I just have to purchase another amp cable? Amp-effect-bass?

Yes. And perhaps a power supply if you don't care to use batteries. There's also effects loops and whatnot. Basically an effects loop places your effect(s) after the pre-amp and before the power amp section. It makes them sound different. I find it helps more with guitar amps, where the distortion comes from the amp and the amp colors the sound a lot. But it may help your effects sound better.
Quote by thegiaco2112
well another good pedal is the Boss odb-3 bass overdrive I own one and its very good

Very love or hate though. I have one and hate it. Never has decent mids unless I just blend a load in, and the treble is either piercing, or there is none and it is muddy as hell.

As for that video, it isn't fuzz, so stay away from fuzz pedals. It seems like a moderate overdrive, played with a pick. No specific pedals are really reminding me of that tone.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
this is quite genral and may not be to your personal preference but Boss is a great brand. i love my boss odb-3 overdrive and syb-5 sythisizer they are great so if you look at some of them. they may not fufil what you want but if you ever try one you may see what i think.
Last edited by Indiemad at Feb 19, 2009,