OK so i have been installing some old games from my old pc (xp) to my new one (vista). And I've been having trouble playing them.

They install fine but when I try play them it says game only compatible with: XP,2000 etc... So i go into properties and change so it is compatible with XP, but its still coming up with the same error. And ive also made it run as administrator, still nothing .

Can anyone help?

thanks
Sigs Are For Pussies
Quote by Twisted Magnum
Your problem is Windows Vista.

Too much security issues = fail

ahh gay
Sigs Are For Pussies
Just because you put it under compatibility mode doesn't mean it's going to be compatible. If you really want to play the games, set up a dual boot between Vista and XP.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Use google. I used it to get some old games working when I switched to 98 from XP.

Quote by Twisted Magnum

you=fail
Quote by Xiaoxi
Just because you put it under compatibility mode doesn't mean it's going to be compatible. If you really want to play the games, set up a dual boot between Vista and XP.

so i'd have to reinstall XP onto this pc?
Sigs Are For Pussies
Quote by antman4
so i'd have to reinstall XP onto this pc?
No. Google something like "*inset game here* on vista." Older games require some work to get them working properly.
Quote by Masonpwiley
No. Google something like "*inset game here* on vista." Older games require some work to get them working properly.

Many don't have patches though.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Usually most recent first-party games will have some patches available, but old games like System Shock and KOTOR probably won't.
ive tried finding a patch but i cant find anything
Sigs Are For Pussies
this might help:

Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

TEH PROBL3M IZ VIST4 OOLOLLLLOLOOOLLOOLOLOLO!1!1!1!!!!!1111

Maybe you Vista flamers should check out Windows Mojava, I'm sure it would be much more suiting to your needs.
Quote by antman4
ive tried finding a patch but i cant find anything
What game(s) are you having trouble with?
Quote by frottage

Maybe you Vista flamers should check out Windows Mojava, I'm sure it would be much more suiting to your needs.

wow thats alot better then vista
Sigs Are For Pussies
Quote by Masonpwiley
What game(s) are you having trouble with?

well im trying to get toca 2 to work at the moment.
Sigs Are For Pussies
Have you tried running it as an administrator? (Right click and the option should be there.)
Quote by Masonpwiley
Have you tried running it as an administrator? (Right click and the option should be there.)

yeah. i think ive tried everything, looks like ill have to accept defeat
Sigs Are For Pussies
Quote by Masonpwiley
Use google. I used it to get some old games working when I switched to 98 from XP.

you=fail

fail=fail

so, you=twisted magnum??
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
Quote by 5th_fret
fail=fail

so, you=twisted magnum??
I meant Twisted Magnum fails for being a Vista basher.
Quote by Twisted Magnum

Yeah, i just love not being warned when my computer is having security problems.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Vista I doubt is your problem.

The problem is the games, which were made before Vista, and therefore don't recognize Vista as a supported OS, and so they give you an error saying it's not a supported OS.

You'd probably get the exact same thing if you tried to run them on Linux or Mac. The fact that the installer doesn't check that is probably another failing on the part of the devs.
1: To the dumbasses saying "Z0mG v1Zt4 iz d4 pr0b13M!11!!!11", the problem is the game not being able to run on Vista, not Vista not running the game. It's impossible to make an OS that's gonna be able to run every program there is.

2: Have you tried uninstalling the game and installing it with the compatibility mode set to XP? Like putting the Setup.exe in compatibility mode? That solved a lot of problems for me when I had Vista.
Quote by dark&broken
Vista I doubt is your problem.

The problem is the games, which were made before Vista, and therefore don't recognize Vista as a supported OS, and so they give you an error saying it's not a supported OS.

You'd probably get the exact same thing if you tried to run them on Linux or Mac. The fact that the installer doesn't check that is probably another failing on the part of the devs.

You can't run .exe's in Linux or Mac natively...

I was going to suggest running the installation in compatibility mode, but I think someone already mentioned that. What I did for gaming on my laptop was setup up a triple boot. I resized my ext3 partition and formatted it as ntfs to install XP alongside Debian and Vista.

I've never really had too many problems with games running under Vista except for Halo, which I know for sure is because of my integrated graphics card, not the OS. All you need is about 15GBs for XP if you don't install other stuff on to it.