Just bought a new Epiphone amp and its got a serious issue with hum. I've uploaded the hum noise, the hum is high pitched than usual. Is this normal?

Click below for audio clip:

AmpHum <--CLICK

This is the amp with 0 gain. I am increasing the master volume gradually then down again. Yeah it's my first tube amp but how do i record with this annoting noise. Do all amps do this?

Amp hum - low to high

Thanks.
Last edited by benji_flip134 at Feb 24, 2009,
^ new tubes??
Isp Decimator??
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Next time, upload to your profile or to Soundclick so I don't have to download it.

Ever heard of 60 cycle hum? That's what that is.
sorry i dont know how to upload to my profile.

Ever heard of 60 cycle hum?

what is 60 cycle hum? is it a sign of bad amp? and how can i fix it?

Thanks alot,
Ben.
Quote by benji_flip134
sorry i dont know how to upload to my profile.

what is 60 cycle hum? is it a sign of bad amp? and how can i fix it?

Thanks alot,
Ben.

its an electrical cycle that is audible as the hum. <- short version.

edit: isnt that covered in a sticky somewhere? TS, you should check the stickies, they will have a much better explanation.
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Feb 18, 2009,
This still occurs with all cables disconnected from the guitar.

If it makes any difference even with gain on zero and the Master Volume on halfway it still makes the noise. It increases with the MV and when its at full the hum changes sound.
Get a shielded cable.

Shield you guitar's control cavity.

Do not play around electrical devices.

If all else fails, replace the input jack on the amp.

Or just deal with the hum.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
changes sound in what way?

i have yet to listen to the clip, so i dont know what the hum sounds like. my guess is still 60 cycle hum. i'm guessing this is your first tube amp?

hum from low to high

This is the amp with 0 gain. I am increasing the master volume gradually then down again. Yeah it's my first tube amp but how do i record with this annoting noise. Do all amps do this?
Last edited by benji_flip134 at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by benji_flip134
hum from low to high

Many amps do this, especially vintagey ones.

Like a said, make sure you have shielding, and you will be fine. I think it's included in the setup sticky in the EG forum.
Quote by mmjohn
what preamp tube's are in it is in it??

12ax7's i believe if thats what pre-amp tubes are.
Is it also normal for the hum to get louder after being played for about 30 mins or so?
Last edited by benji_flip134 at Feb 19, 2009,
is it a NEW or new to you amp? epiphone's choice for 12ax7 tube's are noisy little suckers!!!
Quote by mmjohn
is it a NEW or new to you amp? epiphone's choice for 12ax7 tube's are noisy little suckers!!!

yes it's my first tube amp and compared to solid state amps the hum is of a higher frequency. The tubes are sovtek's 12ax7's.
I've heard JJ 12ax7's are very quiet, I don't know if the amp is voiced for that or not.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
thats sounds a 60 cycle (ground loop) hum.

what that means is either you've got a lot of equipment plugged into different circuits, or that the plug you're plugged into has no ground, or a bad ground.

try plugging it into different wall sockets and see if its still there, with no cables or anything attached.

if none of that works, then it's possible the ground in your house, or on the amp's plug is bad.

in which case, you would want to go to home depot and ask for help, or see if the amps under warranty for them to replace the plug.

but the above should work
this is a more detailed explanation of the hum you're hearing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)
Quote by Rakoro
thats sounds a 60 cycle (ground loop) hum.

what that means is either you've got a lot of equipment plugged into different circuits, or that the plug you're plugged into has no ground, or a bad ground.

try plugging it into different wall sockets and see if its still there, with no cables or anything attached.

if none of that works, then it's possible the ground in your house, or on the amp's plug is bad.

in which case, you would want to go to home depot and ask for help, or see if the amps under warranty for them to replace the plug.

but the above should work
this is a more detailed explanation of the hum you're hearing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)

ive tried plugging it my bathroom and i still get the buzz. Can i use a different cable for the amp as my computer and it's monitor uses the same jack, maybe i can try that? Also is it normal for the buzz to become louder after the amp has been played for about half an hour?
make sure the all the ratings are the same before you try something like that,

is it under warranty?
because id just take it back if it was.
that way whether its just ground noise or just noisy tubes you'll fix it.
Quote by Rakoro
make sure the all the ratings are the same before you try something like that,

is it under warranty?
because id just take it back if it was.
that way whether its just ground noise or just noisy tubes you'll fix it.

i did take it back and i don't think the amp tech listened to the buzz properly he probably just thought it was like every other amp(he didn't do anything). Also it was raining that day and cars were driving by so it made it alot harder to hear.

But when i'm playing in my room at normal volume i can hear the buzz from 3 metres away. I reckon its gotta do with the tubes because when i start playing the buzz isn't loud, but after 30 minutes it becomes louder.
The early Vjrs had some serious hum issues. For them it was AC heater circuits and the input jack needed to be isolated from the chassis. V3 vjrs fixed these issues. It also as stated before can be bad wiring. The house I live in is old and most outlets are only 2 prong. Even if there was a 3 prong outlet there wasnt a ground lug outside the house. So my amps hummed alot and it would get louder the longer you played. Fixed the ground no more hum. It can be having other things on the same breaker, fridge, AC units, fans, lights can all add noise. It could just be a noisy amp.
Quote by Tackleberry
The early Vjrs had some serious hum issues. For them it was AC heater circuits and the input jack needed to be isolated from the chassis. V3 vjrs fixed these issues. It also as stated before can be bad wiring. The house I live in is old and most outlets are only 2 prong. Even if there was a 3 prong outlet there wasnt a ground lug outside the house. So my amps hummed alot and it would get louder the longer you played. Fixed the ground no more hum. It can be having other things on the same breaker, fridge, AC units, fans, lights can all add noise. It could just be a noisy amp.

It's actually more a buzz noise than a hum. However will this still fall under warrranty because it gets really annoying as i can hear the buzz from 3meters away on half volume. My house is relatively knew and the electricty is ground so i don't think that's the problem.

The thing with this amp is it isn't consistent, sometimes it would be relatively quiet then after playing for a bit its gets louder. Also when i change from standby to power and i adjust the master volume straight after it makes a wavy sound(can't really describe it), but will post some audio.

Thanks for the help.
I've never heard a "quiet" Valve Jr....they all seem to hum, and (as someone else said) I think it's primarily due to the cruddy pre-amp tubes that are being used. JJs are quieter, but you're still going to get some hum/buzz. I know this may sound silly, but have you tried taking it other places (like someone else's house) to see if the hum gets better or worse?