I'm having trouble with this sweeping pattern. Whenever I do the bar on the 9th fret with my 3rd finger it messes me up because both notes sound at the same time and when I try to play the B string it's always muted and the whole thing just sounds really sloppy. Any tips on how to stop doing this?

|------------------7------------|
|---------------8---------------|
|------------9------------------|
|---------9---------------------|
|--7-10------------------------|
|--------------------------------|
I hate my sig
You have to roll your finger, if you didn't already know.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
I know that, but its just hard to do at higher speeds, and I always end up either muting or fretting the B string with that finger.
I hate my sig
play slowly thats all i can say

this shape is one of the most basic shapes to sweep

your third finger should act as a bridge to the other fingers, allowing your pick to move freely and sweep cleenly. try to keep your third finger or any finger that does a roll straight when its rolling, you'll find that the other notes should come clearer to you.

practice practice, if you're just starting sweeping i'd suggest doing smaller sweeps like a minor triad [which is at the bottom of the sweep you're trying to do] and build up

good luck!
By bottom do you mean the 3 high strings? I can play that fine, this is only my second real sweep so I guess I'm just a beginner to this and have to just keep practicing
I hate my sig
You need to develop the proper mechanics by playing that shape very, very slowly.
I mean ridiculously slowly.
That way, you can carefully analyze how you must move your fingers in order to get every note to sound cleanly and also to mute the strings that you don't want to hear. Once you have a good clean, consistent technique at very slow tempos - then and only then do you start trying to play the shape faster. When you have it down, muscle memory will take over at faster speeds and you won't even have to think about it.
1 - Rolling

2 - Sweeping thread.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Trying alaska I might guess?

Haha. yeah actually. I'm starting to get the hang of it. this is my second day practicing
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Haha. yeah actually. I'm starting to get the hang of it. this is my second day practicing

Right after this I looked up Fermented offal Discharge by Necrophagist and the same sweep was on the song, So I thought I might've been wrong there with alaska lol...
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Right after this I looked up Fermented offal Discharge by Necrophagist and the same sweep was on the song, So I thought I might've been wrong there with alaska lol...

It's just an arpeggio dude, it'll turn up all over the place...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.