Page 1 of 6
So yeah, guys. We were talking about World War 2 in history, and I believe WWII Germany was arguably one of the greatest military powers ever. I mean if you think about it, they were fighting 3 MAJOR nations and then several other countries, with their army split on two fronts and still gave everyone one hell of a hard time.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by Jericho114
But they lost.

All things must come to an end, in this case, Nazi Germany.
What was the name of the guy who apparently fought in WW2 with a Bow, and long sword?
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by Jericho114
But they lost.

Well, they lost but had they been better managed they would have been unbeatable. They were the strongest power in that war.

Quote by floppypick
What was the name of the guy who apparently fought in WW2 with a Bow, and long sword?

Jack Churchill. Most badass guy ever.
Last edited by tayroar at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by floppypick

Chuck Norris?
Quote by floppypick

Jack Churchill
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Quote by Schism1985
not for long tho. they didn't have the resources to sustain their superiority.

You realize if they had kept their conquered land more resources come from that. I believe that was also what their African campaigns were about.
Hitler was a bad man. The actions of he and the Nazi party...
Last edited by ASITHOS at Feb 18, 2009,
The British Empire in it's hayday was far superior for it's age.
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
The worlds fu cked up and we lit the fuse, its all used up what you gonna do?
Quote by floppypick

Rambo?
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by tayroar
You realize if they had kept their conquered land more resources come from that. I believe that was also what their African campaigns were about.

yeah, but they didn't. they ultimately lost them to the allied powers, it wouldn't have lasted
Quote by ASITHOS
Hitler was a bad man. The actions of he and the Nazi party

That doesn't make his army any weaker. I'm not saying the Nazis were cool guys. I'm just saying they had a really impressive military force, also just to play Devil's advocate (not justifying the holocaust by any means, I know it was extremely terrible) but many of our medical advances come from the Holocaust considering they were really some of the first people to experiment on living humans.
Quote by tayroar
Well, they lost but had they been better managed they would have been unbeatable. They were the strongest power in that war.

Anyone who has not heard of this guy, go look him up now. He is like Chuck Norris and Rambo combined.

Yes, he's that bad ass.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by tayroar

this reminds me of

http://www.cracked.com/article_17019_5-real-life-soldiers-who-make-rambo-look-like-pussy.html

he's #3

An allied commander in WWII, and an avid fan of surfing, Captain Jack Malcolm Thorpe Fleming Churchill aka "Fighting Jack Churchill" aka "Mad Jack" was basically the craziest mother****er in the whole damn war.

He volunteered for commando duty, not actually knowing what it entailed, but knowing that it sounded dangerous, and therefore fun.

Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
Quote by tayroar

Hitler was an extremely smart man. I don't know who could have managed Germany any better.
they were very well trained
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
Quote by tayroar
That doesn't make his army any weaker. I'm not saying the Nazis were cool guys. I'm just saying they had a really impressive military force, also just to play Devil's advocate (not justifying the holocaust by any means, I know it was extremely terrible) but many of our medical advances come from the Holocaust considering they were really some of the first people to experiment on living humans.

Very true. Clouds have a silver lining. The holocaust was terrible, but I suppose it did have it's advantages, even if they were outweighed by the bad things. I.e. Death of 6ish million jews.
Well let's see, they ran out of people, material, oil (because Hitler was an idiot and went for Stalingrad instead of the Russian oil fields like his generals told him to), naval vessels, food, etc etc. For what they had at the beginning of the war, what they did was very very impressive.

Conditions also could have been much less favorable, though. I mean France had all of the resources to defeat them. MUCH larger and better equipped army and a good strategic front. Unfortunately though they didn't guard the Ardennes at all, and had the worst leadership (from top to bottom) of probably anyone ever. But like I said, it was impressive that they took Europe so fast even with a small, inadequate force (mainly due to the treaties after losing WW1).

Were they the greatest military force of all time? Not by a long shot. IMO the Mongols under Genghis Khan were.
We're only strays.
Quote by Schism1985
yeah, but they didn't. they ultimately lost them to the allied powers, it wouldn't have lasted

It would have lasted if they weren't alone against three major powers. I mean sure they had an alliance with Italy and Japan, but Japan was fighting their own theater with us, and Italy fell early on and joined the allies. I mean I'm not claiming they won. I'm just saying they were probably the best army in that whole ordeal. They would have taken England had Hitler continued his invasion for a bit longer instead of pulling out to invade Russia (which is never a good idea)

Quote by KeepOnRotting
Hitler was an extremely smart man. I don't know who could have managed Germany any better.

His generals. Hitler was a great speaker and knew how to influence the masses, but he was extremely arrogant and made terrible decisions (like invading Russia)
Last edited by tayroar at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by KeepOnRotting

Someone better in control of their emotions. Hitler made some very big eff ups.
We're only strays.
Quote by tayroar

actually, their biggest MISTAKE was splitting their army onto multiple fronts not their biggest achievement, also, most of the soldiers weren't crazy Nazis like Hitler they didn't even want to fight, so that had no motivation, just good discipline. also while their air force was advanced (first working jet planes) their guns weren't of the best quality.

another thing is they were easily fooled;
the M1 garand makes a distinct noise when the the clip is ejected (a metallic PING) that can be recreated by tapping one of the clips on some hard surface. the German soldiers would wait until they heard this then would charge around while the Americans reloaded, however the Americans would just recreate the sound and wait for them to come around the corner and pick them off like so many fish in a barrel. (my grandfather told me this story about 2-3 years ago, he was in the war and served at Normandy as well as other campaigns)
Last edited by linnux at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by linnux
actually, their biggest MISTAKE was splitting their army onto multiple fronts not their biggest achievement, also, most of the soldiers weren't crazy Nazis like Hitler they didn't even want to fight, so that had no motivation, just good discipline. also while their air force was advanced (first working jet planes) their guns weren't of the best quality.

the M! garand makes a distinct noise when the the clip is ejected (a metallic PING) that can be recreated by tapping one of the clips on some hard surface. the German soldiers would wait until they heard this then would charge around while the Americans reloaded, however the Americans would just recreate the sound and wait for them to come around the corner and pick them off like so many fish in a barrel. (my grandfather told me this story about 2-3 years ago, he was in the war and served at Normandy as well as other campaigns)

Yeah I know this. I'm not saying it is an achievement, just impressive.
Quote by tayroar

I'm gonna have to agree with you on this one.

Also, had the USA never joined the war, the allies ability to defeat the axis powers would have been questionable at best.

Go on Ukers, give Japan a big old pat on the back.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
Quote by tayroar
They would have taken England had Hitler continued his invasion for a bit longer instead of pulling out to invade Russia (which is never a good idea)

The German Navy was never up to an invasion of England. They had air superiority at that time, which is a big deal, and may have made it almost possible. But between bad weather, U.S. intervention, and the RAF's determination, an invasion of England would have sunk in the Channel.

And invading Russia was a good move that was very well timed. Germany completely bitch slapped the Russian for the first year of that campaign. I could be wrong but I believe it was the fastest moving front of the war (moving deeper into Russia, obviously).
We're only strays.
Quote by tayroar
Yeah I know this. I'm not saying it is an achievement, just impressive.

but im saying is it would only have been impressive if they were able to pull it off, instead, they got their asses handed to them on a silver platter
Considering they took all of Europe in a matter of a few months, that is very impressive. But that being said, when Germany started it's campain they absolutely demolished every country with their blitzkrieg. The allys declared war but didn't actually do anything because honestly, nobody wanted to send their kids to war. The people who's kids were fighting in WWII were the people who lived through the awful WWI. Germany took over Europe pretty much without resistance and then for 6 years the allys took it back.

And to whoever said that Hitler took Stalingrad instead of the Russian oil fields, it's not that simple. Hitler could've taken the fields easily but it is obviously unwise to leave a major city behind you and continue your campain. Also, by taking Stalingrad the rest of Russia would've fallen easily.

Anyone who thinks Nazi Germany was the greatest military power ever is very poorly acquainted with history.
Call me Jack
Quote by linnux

the M! garand makes a distinct noise when the the clip is ejected (a metallic PING) that can be recreated by tapping one of the clips on some hard surface. the German soldiers would wait until they heard this then would charge around while the Americans reloaded, however the Americans would just recreate the sound and wait for them to come around the corner and pick them off like so many fish in a barrel. (my grandfather told me this story about 2-3 years ago, he was in the war and served at Normandy as well as other campaigns)

the funny thing is that germany actually tried splitting their army in world war I... it failed miserably that time also.
Quote by Schism1985

the funny thing is that germany actually tried splitting their army in world war I... it failed miserably that time also.

yes, it seems that Germany doesn't learn from past mistakes
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
The German Navy was never up to an invasion of England. They had air superiority at that time, which is a big deal, and may have made it almost possible. But between bad weather, U.S. intervention, and the RAF's determination, an invasion of England would have sunk in the Channel.

And invading Russia was a good move that was very well timed. Germany completely bitch slapped the Russian for the first year of that campaign. I could be wrong but I believe it was the fastest moving front of the war (moving deeper into Russia, obviously).

it was the fastest moving front of the war because russia went into full retreat and burned everything behind them, leaving no supplies for the nazis.

those crazy russian bastards...
Quote by Schism1985
it was the fastest moving front of the war because russia went into full retreat and burned everything behind them, leaving no supplies for the nazis.

those clever russian peoples...

fixed
Quote by floppypick

Jack Churchill I think, he was a legend.

Also, Ya'll would be talking german if we wouldn't have saved your asses.

/Ignorance from an American
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Well let's see, they ran out of people, material, oil (because Hitler was an idiot and went for Stalingrad instead of the Russian oil fields like his generals told him to), naval vessels, food, etc etc. For what they had at the beginning of the war, what they did was very very impressive.

Conditions also could have been much less favorable, though. I mean France had all of the resources to defeat them. MUCH larger and better equipped army and a good strategic front. Unfortunately though they didn't guard the Ardennes at all, and had the worst leadership (from top to bottom) of probably anyone ever. But like I said, it was impressive that they took Europe so fast even with a small, inadequate force (mainly due to the treaties after losing WW1).

Were they the greatest military force of all time? Not by a long shot. IMO the Mongols under Genghis Khan were.

Well to be fair, if he had tried to take the oil fields theyd probably burned them anyway.
Germany we're fooked towards the end. pretty much cornered from all angles
Sigs Are For Pussies