Hey UG. Like the title says, which cab/speakers would go best with a JCM800?

I'm not entirely sure what kind of sound I'd like to get. I'm still sort of experimenting so I'm open to any suggestions.

I was thinking of something with Greenbacks for a sort of vintage Marshall sound. Then I started wondering how Celestion Blues would go with it and my mind just started wandering from there.

Any opinions?
Marshall 1960a cabs work really well with JCM800s. Could try one of them.

never tried greenbacks before.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion GreenBacks
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion GreenBacks

Can you have a cab with two different speakers? Let say, GreenBacks and Celestion Blues.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by Fat-bastard0603
Can you have a cab with two different speakers? Let say, GreenBacks and Celestion Blues.

I was wondering that myself actually. I was just too afraid of making myself look like a dumbass.
yeah you sure can have two different speakers, some cabs come with two different speakers in them.

If you want to put them in yourself then make sure you match the wiring, ohms etc correctly.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
an alnico blue is only 15 watts, so you would need a 4x12 with alnico blues to be usable with a 50 watt JCM800. A 100 watt would be too powerful for that.

Your best bet is Greenbacks or Blackbacks if you can find them used.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Marshall JCM 800 cabs (seriously). or an older Marshall with Greenbacks. 4x12s I think sound the fullest, especially concerning Marshall cabs.
Quote by funkymonkz
an alnico blue is only 15 watts, so you would need a 4x12 with alnico blues to be usable with a 50 watt JCM800. A 100 watt would be too powerful for that.

Yeah, its a 50W. I'm just now realising this could end up being quite an expensive "experiment".

EDIT: There are JCM800 cabs? I thought they used a 1960A for the 800 but did a model-specific version for the 900?
Last edited by Snake_42 at Feb 18, 2009,
there are specific 800 and 900 cabs, albeit hard to find. Most Marshall cabs nowadays are just labeled as A or B, but the older JCM specific cabs were still refered to as 1960 A or Bs depending on their slant or lack there-of. My Marshall has a JCM 800 Lead Series logo in the bottom left hand corner (looking straight at it), and since it's straight it's a 1960B cab. Same applies for JCM 900 cabs and so forth.
Quote by funkymonkz

I don't think that is how speakers work. It isn't the total rating, it is the rating of the lowest speaker, isn't it?
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
I have a Marshall JCM 800 Lead cab for sale.
Taking Back Sunday = Sensitive Hardcore
Quote by cavalier14
I don't think that is how speakers work. It isn't the total rating, it is the rating of the lowest speaker, isn't it?

It is the rating of the lowest speaker multiplied by the number of speakers.

for example four alnico blues would be 60 watts, but 2 alnico blues and 2 Vintage 30s would still be 60 watts.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile