Page 1 of 3
Why do cellphones in North America suck? I read somewhere that Japanese phones are 2 to 3 years ahead of ours. I went into an Asian cellphone store today, and the most mega pixels I have ever seen in a North American camera phone was 5.0. This one had 8.0, and looked fancy as hell with all these crazy features that no cellphone here has. They made a Blackberry look like it was from the stone age. They were priced $700 - $1400. This may be to serious of a question for the pit, but why do we not have these kinds of phones in North America?

EDIT: Well for all of you who are asking "What idiot would buy those phones??!!111". While I was in the store, for say about 15 minutes, they had already sold 3 of them in the the time that I was there.
Be cool.
Last edited by thedude051 at Feb 18, 2009,
Cause' we're cheap like that.

Bedit: 700$ for a phone???? I would never pay that much for something i'm just going to use to text and call people with.
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by thedude051
They were priced $700 - $1400. This may be to serious of a question for the pit, but why do we not have these kinds of phones in North America?

i think you answered your own question.

there aren't a whole lot of people that are going to pay that much for a cell phone, especially in the middle of an economic crisis.
The telecom companies are greedy, soulless entities. Look at the data plan costs in Canada for example. There isn't enough competition in the market, and Bell/Rogers can pretty much hold an oligopoly up here.
i would never pay that much for a cell phone. $200 at the MOST, and that's if its really good.
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
Quote by meta1militia
i would never pay that much for a cell phone. $200 at the MOST, and that's if its really good.

+1 i paid $100 for mine. But it doesn't suck!

nokia 5310 FTW
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
who in their right AND insane mind pays that much for a cell phone? especially now? mine was fifty bucks and it's a great phone.
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
Well for all of you who are asking "Wat idiot would buy those phones??!!111". While I was in the store, for say about 15 minutes, they had already sold 3 of them in the the time that I was there.
Be cool.
The Japanese are crazy with phones. Everyone over here was so amazed when the iphone came out, as if that kind of phone didn't exist already. Some phones in Japan can be used to operate vending machines over there.
We'll have the cognitive edge soon, when we can actually focus on a singular concentrated task and the rest of the developed world will be run amuck with ADD multitaskers constantly plugged in and unable to direct their attention to something that's not flashing, vibrating, and making noise.

Wait, nevermind, I guess it will just even the playing field.
They don't actually.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by Sound Mind
The Japanese are crazy with phones. Everyone over here was so amazed when the iphone came out, as if that kind of phone didn't exist already. Some phones in Japan can be used to operate vending machines over there.

You're joking right?
Sail upon the open skies
buy an unlocked phone from Japan or Europe, operate it through a GSM network, and you're good to go. You're only screwed if you have a service like Verizon that doesn't operate through a GSM network.

And yeah, nobody feels like paying $800 for a cellphone in America.
Most Japanese also have much more disposable income; the average American saves 10% of his monthly income, whereas the average Japanese person saves 40% of his monthly income.
Quote by angusfan16
You're joking right?

they have tentacle rape and giant robots why not have cell phones that operate vending machines?
Quote by Cheesemaster
they have tentacle rape and giant robots why not have cell phones that operate vending machines?

That actually makes sense.

Guess i know where i'm going to go when i move out.
Sail upon the open skies
because most Americans don't care, e realize that you really don't need a professional quality camera built into your phone, or any of the other frivolous crap the Japanese like to add to consumer electronics.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
A guy who i know is spoiled and he got an iPhone.

Hes an idiot and his first monthly bill was...

3000 dollars, no i am not lying. He browsed the web over 3G too much.

Made by 'The Sloganizer' ----> «The Pit - be prepared.»

Quote by imdeth

"Billy eat your broccolli!"

"Screw you mom!" *raises arms*

PHEAR MA TURRETS!!
Quote by mikko 9119
who in their right AND insane mind pays that much for a cell phone?

azns.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
because most Americans don't care, e realize that you really don't need a professional quality camera built into your phone, or any of the other frivolous crap the Japanese like to add to consumer electronics.

yeah japanese ppl have some rediculous crap, like vending machines that despense panties, I don't think I'd trust buying panties from a machine.

but I do like their vending machines that have beer
Quote by Cheesemaster
yeah japanese ppl have some rediculous crap, like vending machines that despense panties, I don't think I'd trust buying panties from a machine.

but I do like their vending machines that have beer

not only panties, but used panties.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
not only panties, but used panties.

that's f*cking gross, wtf would you do with USED panties?
Probably been said, but it's like paying hundreds of dollars for a hammer...
seriously, all you really need a phone for is texting and calling people, WTF Internet on a phone? one day someone will wake up and realize that 3G is not worth the $150 a month.
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
Well if you're going to complain, you can just give your phone to me. I'm almost 19 and have never had a phone.
Quote by danyellenik
+1 i paid $100 for mine. But it doesn't suck!

nokia 5310 FTW

200 for mine Samsung Gravity FTMFW slide out keyboard AND SWEET ASS CAMERA
The Japanese don't have big gangsta G trackpants with huge pockets, so they try and combine a decent camera, video camera, phone, laptop, vending machine operator, personal sex toy, toothbrush, velociraptor, tuner, metronome, radio, mp3 and video player all into one device.
Ha! You should see my cellphone.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by frottage
Well if you're going to complain, you can just give your phone to me. I'm almost 19 and have never had a phone.

you're not missing much, ya its cool for the first 30 days till you get the bill, i went over $100 the first month without knowing what i was being charged for, then it just gets boring and useless and then texting is no fun because its boring and a pathetic way to talk to somebody elese and then people keep leaving you voice mail that you dont want to check because your to laze,

seriously your not missing much here.
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
Quote by Cheesemaster
that's f*cking gross, wtf would you do with USED panties?

they are used by young schoolgirls, Japanese men apparently use them to get off.

Last.fm
the only time i would ever need a cell phone is if my truck fliped over, skidded down the road, caught on fire, exploded, rolled, skidded some more, did a jig, tires fell off, and came to a rest at the bottem of Iyra Hayes ditch would i need a cell phone so i could call an ambulence.

on topic, 700-1400 for a cell phone, i hope it does your taxes for you and kill the people you dont like.
Quote by InvaderTSN
Also true.

I should really change my title to "UG's International Socio-Behavioral Psychologist with a focus on Penis studies.

It's far more suitable.
Quote by RU Experienced?
I should really change my title to "UG's International Socio-Behavioral Psychologist with a focus on Penis studies.

It's far more suitable.

It woul be ghey, ver very ghey.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

like you can tell the difference between 8 and 5 megapixels on a phone, or like it really matters.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by Snuffles
A guy who i know is spoiled and he got an iPhone.

Hes an idiot and his first monthly bill was...

3000 dollars, no i am not lying. He browsed the web over 3G too much.

hes lying to you...because even the cheapest iphone plan(which is like 20$) comes with unlimited data, (which means internet) the only way he could have gotten screwed like that is if he was roaming, which any retard would have that turned off in the options so that wouldnt happen.
I would assume the cultural difference. It seems like the Japanese are interested in the next new thing, while we are willing to settle for whatever if it is cheap.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Page 1 of 3