I've been playing for almost a year and a half but I still lack a lot of picking dexterity in my right hand, not that I'm missing notes as that's just a matter of learning but I believe I have developed bad habits that will not allow me to progress further, especially on songs that use tremolo picking or palm muting.

In one instance I cannot tremolo pick the top string. I use my pinky to anchor my hand on all the other strings but I am not able to stretch my hand that far up without my pinky also contacting the first string or wanting to wrap around it or lay on top of it. When i have my hand this far open I also don't have the control that the anchor is supposed to give so I don't believe its a matter of just getting familiar with the position.

My tremolo picking especially suffers when I am palm muting on the top string. My wrist seems to be very uncomfortable in the palm muting position as if I have to force it up in a way that my wrist doesn't naturally move. To effectively be able to tremolo pick in this position I have to move my pick down my thumb in such a way that it sticks out lower on my thumb, something that I wouldn't be able to do on the fly or adapt to.

Another problem I am having is that parts of my thumb will sometimes rub across strings above the one I am picking almost as if I want to rest my hand on them, I don't know if this is particularly bad technique but I assume it is.

Any suggestions or exercises to help me break these bad habits and improve my technique is appreciated.
Last edited by Aelos at Feb 18, 2009,
Well from what ive seen, nearly every guitarist i see has there fingers stretched out.

EG. This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx7cLwvQ24Q

I know its metal but tremolo picking is often used in metal.

I also believe it matters what type of guitar you use. I can't palm mute for my life on a strat. However if im on a SG or a Les paul i can get it perfectly because i can rest my hand on the bridge with out over muting the strings.

also make sure you are holding the pick right.

Im afraid for this you are going to have to go back to beginner basics. Watch videos on youtube that talk to you like you have just started the guitar, i know its painful but recently i am having to do it myself because my picking technique is also sh***y. But you are going to have to practice this **** like a religion

Also what type of music are you playing? Are you using the right sort of plectrum to suit you?

There are alot of factors to take into account in your picking technique.

Sorry for any mistakes i made but im drunk.

**Edit**

PS. Just thought of something, make sure that you are applying the correct amount of pick to the string, for Example don't be trying to tremolo with over half the pick, you only want a small amount to be applied and when you tremolo the pick should not really leave the string, it should rub against it.
Last edited by Arnthor at Feb 19, 2009,
Quote by Aelos
I've been playing for almost a year and a half but I still lack a lot of picking dexterity in my right hand, not that I'm missing notes as that's just a matter of learning but I believe I have developed bad habits that will not allow me to progress further, especially on songs that use tremolo picking or palm muting.

In one instance I cannot tremolo pick the top string. I use my pinky to anchor my hand on all the other strings but I am not able to stretch my hand that far up without my pinky also contacting the first string or wanting to wrap around it or lay on top of it. When i have my hand this far open I also don't have the control that the anchor is supposed to give so I don't believe its a matter of just getting familiar with the position.

My tremolo picking especially suffers when I am palm muting on the top string. My wrist seems to be very uncomfortable in the palm muting position as if I have to force it up in a way that my wrist doesn't naturally move. To effectively be able to tremolo pick in this position I have to move my pick down my thumb in such a way that it sticks out lower on my thumb, something that I wouldn't be able to do on the fly or adapt to.

Another problem I am having is that parts of my thumb will sometimes rub across strings above the one I am picking almost as if I want to rest my hand on them, I don't know if this is particularly bad technique but I assume it is.

Any suggestions or exercises to help me break these bad habits and improve my technique is appreciated.

I bolded one of your main problems. Since you're gonna be relearning picking technique, you need to break this habit while you do it. I'm not gonna provide the arguments for it, I'm just going to link you to Freepower's thread on the subject.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=974860

Read that, and if you still want to anchor then by all means go for it. I had to learn to play without it and it really helped. Anyway. As for your other problems, just go back to the very beginning and start slow. I'd say go through the lessons in Freepower's sig, they're really helpful.
Gear List:
Yamaha SJ-180 Steel String Acoustic
2008 Ibanez S520
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey Vypyr 15W

Call me Erk.