Page 1 of 2
WARNING: WALL OF TEXT. Regulars around here should know i like to talk

I've spent the past month and some days pretty much in the dark on UG, pretty much just 'observing' i guess, thread/post here and there, but mostly transparent compared to my usual activeness in GG&A, so i hope i can get back into the swing of things ha.

Anyway, the GOOD news:

I have transformed my Randall into a Marshall type amp, it's running JJ EL-34s and has a 'Brown' (modelled after EVH's hotrodded marshall from first album) module for the dirty channel, and still the standard 'clean' on the first module slot. The 'brown' module is nice and saturated, giving me a great 80s metal sound, perfect for GNR/VH/etc.

The BAD news:

I need to cut loose some of my extra 'luxuries' in order to gain some necessities. This includes my Blackheart Little Giant (no need for it now that i have a british voiced amp which has master volume control and still relatively easy to transport), my MXR analog delay (i've decided that digital is my preference really, though i love the pedal still), my Vox V847A (get a slight annoying 'wooshing' sound on clean and i just need something a lot nicer), but i am NOT selling my Fulltone Fulldrive II, even though i haven't needed it since i modified my Randall. It'll come in use soon enough.

The BEST news:

GAS. Here's my game plan for very near future: sell off my little-used dust-collecting gear and then cover the cost of an Agile AL3000 LP. I really want an LP and need to get it out of the way first. Later on in the year i will eventually buy: a digital delay pedal, higher quality/boutique level wah, and then finally a noise gate. I might also try to sell off my 'clean' module and purchase a used 'Plexi' module so that my amp can easily do vintage AC/DC and Hendrix style tones w/o an OD pedal on the clean channel, we'll see as time goes by.

After those few things are acquired, i should be pretty much covered for necessities.

Opinions on my plan are all welcome, as well as suggestions for a good wah that does great both on clean AND low to mid gain. range of around $150 and $200 max. Opinions on a good Digital Delay pedal lower than $150 are good too.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Best production wah I've played is the dimebag crybaby, very versatile and sounds good for pretty much anything. If you want to drop some more coin look into RMC, amazing wahs.

As far as the plexi module goes, couldn't you get similar tones by turning the gain down on the brown module? That's what I'd think anyways.

Also, get some clips of that brown module up, I'd be very interested to hear how it sounds.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
You should get a Fulltone Wah.

How many modules can your amp hold?
+1 on the clips.

Nice to see you again man, it's been a while
I say, sell the Clean and get a JTM.

The cleans on the JTM are beautiful and it can cover the AC/DC and Hendrix tones with the gain turned up.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you feel like spending $250 on a delay check out the TC Electronics Nova Delay....I absolutely love mine.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
As far turning the gain down on the Brown module, it's possible, but it still won't be the same as having a plexi modelled preamp. that's like taking a hotrodded splawn and turning the gain down most the way to get a AC/DC tone, it'll work but not as good as just using an amp that's mid gain at most.

amp can hold two modules, which is why i'm trying to just keep it simplified for now. too many necessary purchases to just go for unneeded luxuries atm.

i think i'll bring my gma's kodak camera up after this weekend (what i used for my audio clips that are on my profile) and do some samples with the randall. i'm excited for this weekend as it'll be the first time cranking the amp with EL34s .

atm, my HARDEST decision to make right now is WHICH Agile LP to go for... i could go classy and hugely Slash-inspired with the Tobacco burst, go with my fave color blue that still shows a nice quilted type wood grain, or just for a third option, the rootbeer colored one.

really the decision is between Blue and Tobacco...this is harder than choosing between The Terminator and Predator on sci-fi movie night!!

Quote by LaidBack
If you feel like spending $250 on a delay check out the TC Electronics Nova Delay....I absolutely love mine.

ha that's a lil excessive for me. i just need enough to have a few seconds of delay and that's about it...too many bells and whistles just means i'll end up selling it within a year for something more simple . advice is appreciated though
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Last edited by slash_rocks2005 at Feb 18, 2009,
Well, if it's between terminator 2 and predator that's no challenge, though terminator verse predator is a toughie.
Terminator 2 is my Holy Grail of ALL MOVIES. My definition of PERFECT movie.

but btw the first terminator and Predator......that's a toughy...just b/c i'm a huge Terminator fan before Predator, i'd still say T1, but Predator is right on its heels.

slash_edit: sh*t! f*ck! that doesn't help me decide which finish to go with!?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Dude, I'm so with you, T2 is easily my favorite movie of all time. I have a pair of sunglasses just like what he wore in the movie. Do I win?

Hmm, I'd probably get parts from warmoth and build one myself, but I've never had the chance to try an agile.
Yes you win, IF you have a matching Harley . Those shades were Oakleys weren't they?

i think you are my new E-best friend. any Terminator fan is alright by ME. i guess you share in my angst against the different director for the third, and yet ANOTHER different one for the fourth...argh...i better not even get started otherwise i'll be going on for hours.

on topic LOL, i don't have the spare time for a project like that, school and new hobbies like getting into karate and rock climbing keep me from those time-induced projects lol...but don't worry, i'm still all for breaking out the solder gun for a few straight hours of 'playing' . i LOVE guitar guts work.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
I would look at the Hardwire Delay, its also got a looping feature in it so thats handy.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
^good point, i haven't really had any bad experiences with the hardwire series yet.

back to the most important subject: how do you choose between getting a guitar that looks traditional/classy and closely resembles your idols', as opposed to one that that looks great but doesn't bring that 'classic' vibe you get from the other?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by lbj273
I would look at the Hardwire Delay, its also got a looping feature in it so thats handy.

+1

It's also true bypass so no tone sucking.

It's a great delay with 8 delay settings.

EDIT:

Quote by slash_rocks2005
^good point, i haven't really had any bad experiences with the hardwire series yet.

back to the most important subject: how do you choose between getting a guitar that looks traditional/classy and closely resembles your idols', as opposed to one that that looks great but doesn't bring that 'classic' vibe you get from the other?

Well IMO looks aren't everything, I'm sure a lot of players would choose a guitar for the feel of it rather than the looks.
I would go for which guitar feels the best for you because in the end your guitar is your guitar, if someone doesn't like it then too bad.

What were you looking at?
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Last edited by signedinbloodnz at Feb 19, 2009,
If I were in the market for a new wah, I'd get either a Fulltone Clyde, a Vox V848, a Budda Budwah, or an RMC Picture Wah.
I would get the tobacco burst, idk something about it just draws me in, its so classic looking.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

You should black beauty the LP. Black Beauties are always win.
i like Fulltone's quality with the fulldrive II, so i should look into the Clyde by them.

and i'm not judging based on the looks ALONE, both guitars are the same model, the only different is the finish, all other aspects are the same. can't try them out b/c it's hard finding people with Agiles even used around here, BUT their AL-3000 models are always getting great reviews and can get near Gibson level when upgraded, so that's all that matters. Plus i know how to set up my guitar to my specs, so i know how to make it work for me, not the other way around.

i assume people here would know that i don't judge by looks alone, always quality first, but looks do matter to me, i'm shallow like that i guess.

or
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by imgooley
You should black beauty the LP. Black Beauties are always win.

i like seeing woodgrain .
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
i like seeing woodgrain .

Don't they have a quilt top in trans black?
i'm just not big on black, hard to explain lol. see how picky i am?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
i'm just not big on black, hard to explain lol. see how picky i am?

Lol, yea.

But to me, nothing beats black with a little bit of gold

I'm just projecting

GAS IS A MOTHER****ING LIFETHREATENING AILMENT!!!!!!!!!!!
it's all good!!! GAS is killer.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH

get a dillion, way better imo and don't have the funky headstock and weird cutaway
EDIT: I think the quality is better also
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Feb 19, 2009,
^Dillons are killer. I played what would be equivalent to a 56 goldtop and it was teh seckz.
Where did you fine one?! I've never seen one other than on ebay, thats where I got mine, btw that blue color is AMAZAING in person mine is flame not quilt though
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
The blue looks phenomenal, IMO. SO sweet. I'm after a blue guitar too.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
I know It's amazing isn't it
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
Where did you fine one?! I've never seen one other than on ebay, thats where I got mine, btw that blue color is AMAZAING in person mine is flame not quilt though

A dude I jammed with had one.
ahh, sweet guitars though.

back on topic.

get one!
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
i've already decided on going with Agile, headstock shape is fine with me.

blue is the sex tho
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
okay do what I want I guess, the dillion a better Guitar
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
man, there will ALWAYS be a better guitar.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
get the blue
it looks awesome
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Yeah I guess, Its just my opinions the agile isn't bad by any means I just like the dillion more
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
you know it'd just be easier if i got both...

even though i couldn't afford it haha.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
I know you like the blue, but I'm with goolz on the black beauty. It never goes out of style. It's the new black...

Wit teh Bigsby...
i usually prefer chrome over gold hardware...just b/c gold usually fades away and i'm not big on the whole 'worn' look..

black beauties look awesome, but i don't think they hold a candle to vintage bursts
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
DO they have that burst with a flamed top? I think that would be the compramise of liking the burst and needing to see some wood grain.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

UPDATE:

for anyone wanting to hear a small sample of my Randall rm50, i have a new clip in my profile entitled something along the lines of, 'brown module lead.' lemme know what you think! feels good to finally have a new clip up!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
i usually prefer chrome over gold hardware...just b/c gold usually fades away and i'm not big on the whole 'worn' look..

Brushed metal never looks worn. As oils creep in over time it gets shinier, shiney - er? sp issues, damn booze...

I agree on the worn gold, I'm not a fan either.
Page 1 of 2