I'm looking at cheap, tube, British voiced amps to try out. I need a good crunchy tone. Fairly high gain. Not metal, but hard rock. Good cleans would be awesome to for my shiny new acoustic

I'm looking dont bother posting Ebay links because i dont have the cash right now.

I'm not sure how the ValveKing is voiced but its tube and its cheap. I would re-tube it and possibly upgrade the speakers speakers. (probably buying used)

Fender HRD. Not British voiced but its tube and its cheapish with nice cleans. It is the max I'll spend. (buying used)

I heard about a 40 or 50 watt Laney tube amp that could be within my price range. I'll look around for that. I'm not sure how much it costs exactly.

100w Vox ValveTronix. Its a hybrid. As far as i know hybrid amps are scams but this actually looks pretty good. Its within my budget, i like the versatility and its certainly loud enough. I would rather all tube but I'm just throwing this idea around atm.

Any more ideas?

EDIT:

Randall RG50TC 50W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp?
Used AC30
Used Traynor
Last edited by Final !mpact at Feb 19, 2009,
Quote by Final !mpact
I'm looking at cheap, tube, British voiced amps to try out. I need a good crunchy tone. Fairly high gain. Not metal, but hard rock. Good cleans would be awesome to for my shiny new acoustic

You just pretty much described an Orange Tiny Terror right there.
Quote by Snake_42
You just pretty much described an Orange Tiny Terror right there.

He wants good cleans. TT =/= cleans.

TS, where are you and can you buy used?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Orange amps aren't cheap either, not ridiculously expensive, but not cheap.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
crate v series, look into the v18 combo...someone on here is selling a v33h (the head) for pretty cheap (150ish I think). if you have that much, you should look into it.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
I need to be heard over a drummer or a band. No tiny terror or 18 watt crate amp will be loud enough.

Quote by slash_rocks2005
Orange amps aren't cheap either, not ridiculously expensive, but not cheap.

In Australia everything is ridiculously expensive.

Quote by shadow__666
He wants good cleans. TT =/= cleans.

TS, where are you and can you buy used?

I'm in Australia and i can buy used.
Quote by Final !mpact
I need to be heard over a drummer or a band. No tiny terror or 18 watt crate amp will be loud enough.

both of them will, actually. the TT is loud as balls, but only mediocre. 30 tube watts is more than enough to play over a drummer.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
both of them will, actually. the TT is loud as balls, but only mediocre. 30 tube watts is more than enough to play over a drummer.

I understand but I'd like a bit of headroom for cleans and stuff. I doubt the tiny terror will stay clean cranked up to 10.
try 4.

don't buy one. trust me.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
try 4.

don't buy one. trust me.

Ha, alright.

What about my other options?

The valveking with a tube and speaker change?

I'm not so keen on the HRD because of the lack of (good) distortion. But i dont know, i haven't played one yet.

Should i rule out the vox?
Peavey Classic 30 or any of the Traynors.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
no VK. with the money you'll spend on making it decent, you could have had a better amp in the first place.
no HRD unless you're going to mod it.
no VT. oversized (but decent) practice amp.

Laney AOR Protube, Vox AC15/30

Don't judge me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Peavey Classic 30 or any of the Traynors.

The Peavey Classic 30 is more American voiced isn't it?

Quote by theoreticmusic
no VK. with the money you'll spend on making it decent, you could have had a better amp in the first place.
no HRD unless you're going to mod it.
no VT. oversized (but decent) practice amp.

Laney AOR Protube, Vox AC15/30

Thats pretty much what i thought.

I cant find a Laney Protube on any Australian music website but I'll look around for a used AC 30.
Traynor YCV50 Blue if you can find one around somewhere.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Quote by Final !mpact
The Peavey Classic 30 is more American voiced isn't it?

Whoops - forgot about that. My bad. The Traynors are British voiced however.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Whoops - forgot about that. My bad. The Traynors are British voiced however.

I'll look into the traynors then.
AC 30's are British voiced right?
yerp.
they are, after all, one of the quintessential british amps.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
yerp.
they are, after all, one of the quintessential british amps.

Thats what i thought, just double checking.

Still open to suggestions.
valve king is really good for metal sortof its got plenty gain and distortion n sounds alot better then the viper p.s go tube my man they really are a million times better
smacking bone kydd
Quote by shredderkidd
valve king is really good for metal sortof its got plenty gain and distortion n sounds alot better then the viper p.s go tube my man they really are a million times better

3piC f@il.

valveking is REALLY good for metal, sort of?

do you realize how contradictory that is?

VK is NOT good for metal without MODS, and that's not even what we're talking about here.

wtf....

Don't judge me.
Quote by shredderkidd

Nah man I've got a good pedal combo for metal

MI Audio Crunchbox with an MI Audio Blues pro. Neither are very high gain but when you play with both turned on it can get some pretty heavy tones, especially with a bit of amp distortion thrown in with some reverb.

How clean are the cleans on the AC 30?
Super clean. REM use a Vox AC30.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales