Im a real fan of HSS guitars, like the jackson dk2

Unfortunately i cant afford one of them at the mo, so have a yammy rgx112 (HSS)lying around.

is it possible to put a really high output pup in the bridge, at same time as having a really milky poppy neck pup?

anyone got any ideas on how to get the ideal in this situation, ie wat pups would be ok together.

im looking for a thrashy metallica tone in the bridge and a RHCP scar tissuey tone in the neck.
Last edited by fiztech at Feb 18, 2009,
its possible to put a high output pup in the bridge, as long as your guitar is routed to fit the pickup. i recommend getting a fat strat and replacing the stock bridge pickup
if you have the dough, ive heard good things about the jackson dominion.
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
Quote by dm1925
if you have the dough, ive heard good things about the jackson dominion.

no dough. just enough for pup upgrade on this yamaha, which feels very similar to my old rg470 accept the yamaha has a HSS pup setup.
you can get that tone out of a gibson sg neck pickup if you set the eq right
It's all about feel
what amp are you using?

if you don't have a good amp, then a pup change will be a waste of time and money.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by hopespaul
you can get that tone out of a gibson sg neck pickup if you set the eq right

This.
sure, why not? as long as you want completely different tones out of each pickup, it should be fine. it might make sense not to get a ridiculously high output bridge pickup coupled with a ridiculously low output neck pickup, but as long as you're reasonably sensible (e.g. reasonably high output bridge pickup combined with reasonably low output neck), it should be fine.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just don't have too huge a gap between outputs or you'll have volume loss when switching.
Quote by JLT73
what amp are you using?

if you don't have a good amp, then a pup change will be a waste of time and money.

haha, with all due respect that sounds a little too band wagon.

its not the quesiton im asking.

and to be honest its BS. regardless of what amp you use pups DO make a tonal change. quality of tone is a completely different subject.

i think i might start with the HB, get a used SH6 and see how that goes with the cheapy in the neck and then possibly look for a used fender strat neck pup. will prob do the job.
i reckon you should try to match the output of the pickups a little bit. maybe get some single coils that are wound a bit hotter so that they match your humbucker a bit more. i don't really have any recommendations but i'll wish you luck.
Wow, I just posted in the wrong thread.
Last edited by Vlasco at Feb 19, 2009,
Quote by joe_k
i reckon you should try to match the output of the pickups a little bit. maybe get some single coils that are wound a bit hotter so that they match your humbucker a bit more. i don't really have any recommendations but i'll wish you luck.

thanks, yes im agreeing with you. although im thinking i tend to only use 1 and 5 on the selector. ie never use the middle. i know sounds like a waste ;-)

i want that really POP (like sitcking finger in check and flicking outward) blues sound in the neck.
Quote by fiztech
haha, with all due respect that sounds a little too band wagon.

its not the quesiton im asking.

and to be honest its BS. regardless of what amp you use pups DO make a tonal change. quality of tone is a completely different subject.

i think i might start with the HB, get a used SH6 and see how that goes with the cheapy in the neck and then possibly look for a used fender strat neck pup. will prob do the job.

not really bandwagon. not here brother

**** I used to change pups when I had a mg years ago and always was pleased with the different tonal changes. But when I got my TSL thats where I noticed the big jump in tone when I switched pups.

what I was saying is if you have a cruddy 10 watt no namer then dont waste you money.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
what I was saying is if you have a cruddy 10 watt no namer then dont waste you money.

i hear u bro.

but i still reckon on most amps (ok not a 10w squier) a 7k Hb will sound less metal than a 14k as well as tonal winding.

actually my amplug ac30 is the best sounding thing i own. serious.

but yeah i owned some ****e SS amps before which nothing sounds good on.

i see u have a s470. my fav axe outside the dk2. wanna swap for a $100 used rgx112? hahahaha.

saw some dude on ebay selling a s470 for $300 which is cheap as here. said it had zr bridge. turned out to be a 10 year old job with a LFR. which are still nice. but i would love a zr. gas gas.
A dual humbucker guitar would probaly suit you
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
It's easily done if you have a versatile amp,a good knowledge of how to EQ,and a set of pups that play well off each other.I play blues,shred,and progressive metal mostly and all my guitars are set up for this as far as pups go.Something hot in the bridge with a warmer and lower output pup in the neck and something that can do crystal clear clean tones in the middle should work just fine.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

My Yammy sounds fine with an old AlNiCo in the bridge. Its about the output of a DiMarzio Super Distort so, when it still had the Yammy single coil at the neck, there were issues of vol level. (handy for the quick solo, though) I now have a P90 at the neck which is a better match.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

My guitar does metal, blues, jazz, shred, rock etc etc etc, fine with it's stock Carvin AP11s

A pickup is what you make it, the amp is more important (that goes for very middle of the road, passive, not screaming pickups )
Quote by Punk_Ninja
A pickup is what you make it, the amp is more important (that goes for very middle of the road, passive, not screaming pickups )

sorry man but u stating a captain obvious with the amp thing.

seriouslly not the question im asking, but do appreciate your input.
Last edited by fiztech at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by Lurcher
My Yammy sounds fine with an old AlNiCo in the bridge. Its about the output of a DiMarzio Super Distort so, when it still had the Yammy single coil at the neck, there were issues of vol level. (handy for the quick solo, though) I now have a P90 at the neck which is a better match.

your the man i need to be speaking too !

is it a single cuff p90 or the real deal?
My ESP is loaded with a JB Jazz combo. It works well for going from a crunchy pummeling to a fairly well rounded clean just by switching the pickup and rolling the volume back a bit.
LTD EC 256.
All mahogany guitar with dual humbuckers. Bridge humbucker has a single coil tap push/pull dial for extra versatility. Under $500
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
or buy a prs and get a badass amp
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by JLT73
what amp are you using?

Not necessarily, TS could always get a good amp after that so at least he has tone at rehearsel and at gigs where they provide backline or when he can borrow an amp from a friend.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73