Sorry to ask too many questions but does this thing affect tone and sustain much? I already have only about 3 seconds of sustain and does the BOSS one compare to this? I might need to borrow a friends for awhile. Thanks
3 seconds of sustain ? my guitar sustains for over a minute before it fades. what guitar/amp are you using ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Last edited by mikeyElite at Feb 18, 2009,
He means that his guitar only has 3 seconds of sustain. That is quite weird - is it setup properly?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
worded my post in a way it could be misinterpreted, fixed it.
Do you have a noise suppressor already running? Or do you have a compressor in your chain with the sustain set pretty low?

Your rig would help.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
not sure. i have an esp ec-50. kinda more like 10 seconds. idk but not really anything. How can I fix it? Nope no noise suppressor, just me and the amp. I have a B-52 at-112. I know it isnt the amp, because this one gives me more sustain than my vox da-20.
Last edited by Sadbutrue62 at Feb 18, 2009,
amp ? pedals? anything else ?
Quote by Sadbutrue62
not sure. i have an esp ec-50. kinda more like 10 seconds. idk but not really anything. How can I fix it?

First off, how do you define "sustain", after you play a note, when do you start counting?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I get 4 seconds right after i hit the note. I have my guitar unplugged right now, but when i started the thread, I was talking about when its plugged in (when I bend the note)
Ok what is the timing if you hit the note and start counting the moment the note stabilise (its not going any sharper or flatter) till the moment the volume starts decreasing?

Plugged in and unplugged timings please.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
if that is clean, it sounds just about right, factoring in for correct fretting technique and pick attach. Although it could be slightly longer, do you have any fret buzz?

From what I understand about the Decimator, it should not affect your tone or your sustain, what it affects is the unwanted white noise.

If you are concerned about your sustain, what you could do is to use some overdrive or distortion. This will increase your apparent sustain and notes will appear to last longer. Alternatively a compressor with the right settings will bring your decaying notes up to a predetermined volume level until your decay drops below a set level before the compressor's sustained notes die off.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Feb 19, 2009,
I recently purchased an ISP decimator. It was a good decision.

I'm playing a Fernandes Vertigo with EMG 81/85 pickups through a Peavey 6505+ half stack w/ boss chromatic tuner and ISP decimator. I'm sure everyone who owns/has played a 6505 can tell you how crucial a noise suppressor is.

But from my experience-no, the decimator will not alter your sound and shouldn't (if set properly) cut your sustain. If you crank the threshold up too high, then yeah, it will.
theres a video on youtube of the ISP next to an MXR gate. when he clicks on the isp you cant really tell its even on and then when he shows you the MXR one its like watching the all guitars tone go byebye through a dirty window. even with youtube audio you can tell the isp is a great pedal. i dont have a decimator yet. i need one.

oh, i think placement of a noise gate is crutial too ... ISP suguests you put it as the last pedal in you chain ... id do the opposite