Page 1 of 2
do people agree that the typical singer *not to offend* may be charismatic, but terribly picky, arrogant, and finally problematic?

Virtually all singers i know are/were like this, so are they?
I wouldn't say all of them are. Most, if they think/know they're good, tend to be extremely egotistical and act that way. I think I'm an above average singer and people tell me I have an amazing voice, but I don't think I'm all that great. I tend to be a little picky at times, but only because I want my band's music to sound the best. I would say that arrogance = root of those problems.
Quote by AwesomeDrummer
do people agree that the typical singer *not to offend* may be charismatic, but terribly picky, arrogant, and finally problematic?

Yes. I knew a singer who wouldn't do anything with her band unless they were her songs and everything was approved by her, and when the band stood up for themselves, she'd whinge and cry and cry, and cry.
Also a bunch of guitarists (incl. me) had to learn songs for her, months before we were going to perform them, and she changed them 3x, and one time a week before we had to perform. Which isn't terribly bad when you have the time, but when you don't and you've already learned a million other songs for her, it's pretty ****.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Yes on the rewriting thing, but that said guitarists aren't much better. When you grab those two egos together, the guitarist vs singer wars are epic.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
How does a singer change a light bulb? They just hold on and the world revolves around them.
I've yet to be in a band, where the singer didn't have LSD to some degree - Lead Singer Disease.
They're just jealous that they can't play guitar.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Amateurs, yes. Same for every other musician who thinks he's great, no matter what instrument.
Professionals? No. They do what they have to do, which includes getting along with those playing the gig with them.
The end result? Find people with professional attitudes. If you want to be in a band, be patient and find the right people. 95% of the problems on this board are from people who were over eager to join the first band that came their way, instead of waiting for the right oppurtunity.
However, another way to be less "emotionally involved" in a band is to regulate yourself to the position of "session guitarist" and put your efforts elsewhere. That's what happened when major problems happened to one of my bands (I'm a guitarist for four bands).
Soundcloud
People who only sing tend to be like that, people that play an instrument and sing tend to be less like that. Unless the whole band are a bunch of assholes.
***Short Sig***
Quote by AwesomeDrummer

I know what you mean, it's a frontperson thing. A good frontperson needs to be supremely confident in their ability to talk to a lot of stangers, and that confidence unfortunately tends to lead to arrogance, which in turn leads to problems.

It's useful if the band can keep the frontperson (or any other arrogant member) grounded by taking the piss and laughing at any arrogant behaviour, if the guy takes offence, just be honest with them and tell them how ridiculous their latest arrogant outburst looked to everyone else, because if there's one other thing that frontpeople have a problem with it's vainess and an obsession with what everyone else thinks about them. If they think people won't like them for some reason, say arrogant behaviour for instance, they'll make a mental note to try and curb that behaviour.

Quote by seth's daddy
How does a singer change a light bulb? They just hold on and the world revolves around them.
I've yet to be in a band, where the singer didn't have LSD to some degree - Lead Singer Disease.
They're just jealous that they can't play guitar.

How many guitarists? Two, one to change the bulb and another to say that he could have done it better.

How many bassists? Just one, but the guitarist has to show him how to do it first.

How many drummers? Non, you should never trust a drummer with electrical equipment and it's a roadie's job anyway.

Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Feb 19, 2009,
^jokes

Quote by koslack
Amateurs, yes. Same for every other musician who thinks he's great, no matter what instrument.
Professionals? No. They do what they have to do, which includes getting along with those playing the gig with them.
The end result? Find people with professional attitudes. If you want to be in a band, be patient and find the right people. 95% of the problems on this board are from people who were over eager to join the first band that came their way, instead of waiting for the right oppurtunity.

You win.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
^jokes

Forgot one.
How any keyboardists does it take to change a lightbulb?
Well really it's just one, but he has a button he can press on his keyboards that'll do it for him.
You forgot another one

How many lead guitarists does it take to change a lightbulb?

none, they just steal someone else's light
Fender P Bass Mex

Guitar Set Up
Fender Strat Mex (Modded)
Toadwords Leo Jr
Vox Wah V847
Electro Harmonix LBP-1
Line 6 FM4
Boss DD-20
TC Electronic Tuner
Orange Tiny Terror(ist)

Check out my band
www.asparagusnow.com
Quote by AwesomeDrummer

Damnit - you have just described me. Genuinely. It's actually a little disorientating.

Although that said, the jury's out on 'Charismatic'...
Haha! Me too!

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by koslack

Who says you can't be arrogant/egotistical and not be professional, as well?
I have a pretty big ego, and yet I'm still professional.
I definitely make it a point to get along with who I'm playing with, but I still like to be a show off.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
hmm..

I'm the front man for my band, I don't think I'm any of those things. i get a little of everything when i get onstage, but when I'm not performing i tend to keep to myself and let everyone else do the talking. in band practice, i kinda just play my guitar until someone goes "hey that was cool, how did that go?" and things work from there, i don't really say "we're doing this.."
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Last edited by Dunjma at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Who says you can't be arrogant/egotistical and not be professional, as well?
I have a pretty big ego, and yet I'm still professional.
I definitely make it a point to get along with who I'm playing with, but I still like to be a show off.

And if you like to be a show off when the gig calls for somebody who is laid back and not hogging the spotlight, but you do it anyway, you aren't a professional. You're a shmoe with a mic.
Ego is fine, so long as it's proportional to talent. If you talk a big game, and can't back it up in any given situation, you pass from confident, to arrogant, and from 'Hey, we need somebody, call that really great singer' to 'Remember that jackass who...?'
Quote by AwesomeDrummer
im amazed that no-one put me up as a hypocrite due to my name being AwesomeDrummer...

We're just humoring you because we all have experience dealing with drummers.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
We're just humoring you because we all have experience dealing with drummers.

haha, bravo sir.

Funny drummer story, my mate was playing a thing at his school, and afterwards, his band were talking to people who watched, and a kid came up and goes "you guys were awesome!" and then the drummer goes "thanks man" and the kid goes "who are you?"

The perils of having to spend the entire set hiding behind your equipment!

CT

Quote by axemanchris

CT

oh come on, we drummers are a fiercely loyal and brave race, the fact that the kit happens to hide us is merely coincidental.
Quote by AwesomeDrummer
oh come on, we drummers are a fiercely loyal and brave race, the fact that the kit happens to hide us is merely coincidental.

But probably for the best all round.
One thing I notced about LSD is that the frontman usually doesnt realize or admit they have a problem... which is the first step that must be taken to rehabilitation.
Quote by axemanchris

CT

You know technically we all are "behind" our equipment... just a quirky thought.
I never have worked with a good lead vocalist tbh. These kids just aint got ****ing prescence. If i want a vocalist, I want him to move like Dave Lee Roth or have the balls like Daltrey. Instead you get kids who just stand there. Thats why i'm a vocalist
Probably the biggest incidence of LSD that I've encountered was a couple of weeks ago. We'd been playing certain songs a certain way for around 8 months, and I just considered them as "finished" and able to be used in sets. These were all written by the singer, everyone had individually completed their parts for them. Those songs were the majority of our 1 hour set and had performed them multiple times live.

Then my singer decided one day that he was NEVER happy with the songs at all, and that he's "developing as a musician" and wanted to modify those songs. I was shocked, because the modifications involved extensive reworking of the songs, usually replacing all electric guitars with acoustics, and slowing the songs down to half speed.

Additionally he refused to play the old ones live, ever again. He claimed "if we play them ****, we shouldn't play them at all". So that meant we'd have to rewrite those songs, and until that's done, we don't have a full set at all. That means no gigs.

Additionally he is consistently late for band practice, and misses sound checks a lot. This means that we never have enough time to rewrite the songs, and this means limbo time for the band. I stopped putting effort into this band, and that's why I just regard myself as a session musician in it now, adding whatever the singer wants.
Soundcloud
Last edited by AlanHB at Feb 21, 2009,
I think it's just that whole "Me" complex rather than "band" complex.

I know I can get mad if my band would rather learn a song our other singer/guitarist writes, but i remind myself that it's the band majority, so i just wait til we have time to move on to a song i have written.

You shouldn't take anyone's s**t though, if someone's getting arrogant, than call them out on it. We always keep each other in check, it helps alot.
Is it just me, or does doing vocals + playing guitar/bass/etc. at the same time kinda pull lead vocalists back into their shell a bit? Kinda like they have confidence in their non-vocal instrument abilities, so there's no need to be agro with their singing persona.

The nicest and most humble vocalists i've jammed with also play guitar/bass/keyboards a the same time.
Ian Watkins has a massive ego, he doesnt play the guitar...

Matt Tuck, someone who plays the guitar as well....has a much smaller ego, and is pretty humble.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Ian Watkins has a massive ego, he doesnt play the guitar...

Matt Tuck, someone who plays the guitar as well....has a much smaller ego, and is pretty humble.

isnt matt tuck the drummer from bloc party?

i was thinking of them the whole time i read this thread.
their singer kele, he has real charisma, but he really doesnt seem LSD at all, hes just real proffesional, and doing it for the music.
**** i love bloc party.

no wait, matt tucks the guy from b4mv, matt TONG is the drummer for bloc party. my bad.

i recon i could see matt tuck being real LSD. he seems to have it in him.
Dave Grohl... comes across as one of the nicest guys in show biz.

CT

masses dont think so, but other musicians do.
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
I've found that the singer in my band is extremely modest, willing to work with people, talented, and prepared to try new stuff. I tend to write most of the lyrics, and the guitarist most of the vocal melodies. And he also tolerates my attempts at backing vocals. :P

I've a suspicion it comes from his background in music - he's sung as part of choirs, as a soloist, and in musicals. He's used to working with other people, with having a fixed framework which he has to fit into, and doing the best he can with what he's given. It wouldn't suprise me if this distinction - between people who have played music in a very 'professional' context where they don't have creative control, and people who have never had to deal with, say, a vocal part that they aren't too keen on.

I've never had to work with other singers as part of an 'equal' band, although I've played with others where the singer simply wanted us as backing musicians (Which is a whole different story). I don't know if good singers are more likely to be friendly and helpful, but I've yet to meet a nice person who's not also easy to work with in a creative context.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

How many guitarists? 8, one to change the bulb and the others to say how Steve Vai would have done it better.

Fix'd
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
well it just depends if uve known him...like the singer for my soon-to-b-band (Bedd Rinden) ive known him for a long time and he doesnt think hes good but he is...the guitarest is another thing he thinks hes the best
*I played doctor for 5 minutes flat...till i cut my heart open...and let the air out...*

-Sissors by Slipknot
Page 1 of 2