Hey everybody, if this is the wrong spot sorry just mod would you move it to the correct place.

My little brother plays bass guitar, I haven't got to play with him yet due to distance and what not. (Military, not very often do I get home) but I've jammed around with other guitarist and from what I think (in my year of learning) I've done decently.

I have a pretty good grasp on theory, obviously not full but I feel I have it well for only a year of playing.

My main question is, how do I go about jamming with a bass guitarist. Do I just pick out his notes and take them ass chords like I would from a guitar or what? Do I pick out what scales and everything I play over just by his single string notes? Kind of confused and would like some advice on this. I'm heading home here shortly and just in question on how to jam with a bass guitar, how to have fun with it. While I don't want him to be bogged down to just playing some simple things, he has about a year and a half (just no theory) on bass.

So how is it done??

Thanks UG!
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
well if he knows enough theory to play/improvise in key, maybe doing some I IV V pattern, and you know scales, then just play those scales in the key that he's playing. I'd start with the blues scale/ pentatonic minor scale; its the easiest and pretty much everything played in it sounds good. So to sum up, it all depends on if both he AND you know the proper theory behind improving.
Dream Theater FTW!!

Gear:
Ibanez S7320 7-string
Tama Superstar 8 pc. drum set
That's the problem. He doesn't know theory he just knows the sounds. He has a good ear when it comes to what sounds good and what doesn't on his bass. While I have a decent ear, I have to rely on theory more (Partially deaf actually from the military constant ring in ears). Anyways, so should I just have him start some bass lines then me just take over. Should I brush up on the bass guitar a little so I can further understand where he is going or doing?

So the difference in theory is gonna be pretty detrimental do you think? While I've heard some of his recordings that he has sent me, which actually sound decent, I am just mainly unsure of where I should go over it. I've tried to go over it with leads, or even rhythms but I'm having a hard time. What should I be taking from his playing, while I understand the notes and all, I just am having a hard time with it relating to the bass.

I was actually going to start a band with him since I am out of the military in a year. Figured we would both have at least 2 years of playing under our belt by then and would be able to make some decent music. I've been trying to push him to learn theory he just has a hard time with it. Gets bored by it to quickly.
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
The bass typically plays a walking line or pedal tone underneath the Guitarists chords. Your Low E will be tuned the same as his lowest string. So if he plays on the 3rd fret (G) you will be playing over him with some sort of G chord, the major problem would be deciding major or minor (to keep it simple, we'll ignore augmented and diminished walking bass lines). Follow solos and melodies you just have to establish the key, and play the appropriate scale. The first note in his walking bass line will most likely be the root of each chord, and the first chord will likely be what key the song will end up being in(thus allowing you to choose a scale to solo with). Thats my guess of how it's going to go down. Although this easily may not be the case. It's really going to depend on how much experience you guys have had on your instruments and playing with others. If it comes down to it, start by playing something you both know, and don't try to improvise the progression on the spot, just write it out real fast until you understand what each other is going to try and do. Hope I was helpful.
normally when improvising i just pick out whatever key they're playing in and stick somewhere around that (although i may switch between the key and its relative to add a different feel to it)