Hey guys,

I have been taking lessons for about a year from my teacher. I have tremendous respect for him, but for some reason I am just not learning from him like I think I should be. He is a wizard with theory and he teaches guitar, bass, piano, percussion, and vocals. Music has been his life and his knowledge shows.

About a year in, my lessons are pretty much him playing chord progressions and he tells me to play a lead over it. We went over minor pentatonic, major, and all modal scale patterns so I am to take the progression he plays and fit something over it musically.

I find myself getting overwhelmed with trying to remember everything we squeeze into our weekly hour.

Does this sound normal or is it time I look for a different teacher that I can mesh with a little better?
Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus w/ '60s neck
Ibanez JEM 7V
Jackson SL2H Soloist
PRS Singlecut SE
Marshall JVM410h
Marshall 1960a 4x12
Line 6 Pod x3 Live
Happened to me as well.
Except I wanted him to teach me how to play lead, but he taught me how to play rhythm.
So I guess the problem for me was, boring lessons.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
ask questions, no question is dumb. if your not learning your not understand the basics so ask him question your paying him, your the boss, take charge
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
Maybe ask to cover less in each lesson. I used to teach hour lessons (on the drums mind you) and sometimes I found the hour lessons tricky because it's hard to find a balance between keeping the hour fresh and entertaining and giving too much material to work with. I would suggest having "review" lessons too maybe at the end of every month or so to refresh the ideas you were taught and to reinforce them in your memory. I would stick with your teacher though, there are a lot of bad ones out there.
Sounds like a good teacher. He is trying to encourage you to learn to use your guitar to make music instead of trying to teach you a few metallica songs like most people do.
The problem is the length of the lessons. 1 hour a week? I'd be vague-as at the end.

I think that he is a good teacher, but I'll suggest maybe tone it down a little - I have 1 hour lessons every two weeks, but a half-hour each week would probably be the optimum.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I had a genius of a teacher, great guitar player, could explain concepts plainly and simply, but he didn't always stick to my plan of what I wanted to learn, ( I think he followed a "set" lesson plan for every student) so what I finnaly did (as he was the only respectable teacher around), is I'd show up and try and spend the first twenty minutes asking questions, or playing a song or two, or going everything I practiced a week before. I learned tons in this part of the session. If I were to improvise, I'd make help endure a recording or two I made earlier in the week, and I'd make him discuss it with me for about 4-5 minutes. I got tons of useful applicable tips this way. We used the rest of the lesson letting him go over whatever he had planned, by doing this I was able to 1. Keep a managable collection of new things to practice over the week.(Which was great when it was things I didn't want to practice, or didn't interest me at the time) 2. Get feedback and review, and tips to improve upon what I could already do, and how I was applying the previous material taught.

Edit: This worked well for limiting what I received in the beginning. I couldn't handle the workload at the time, and it helped me get him to my pace. I send him the recordings during the week now, and so we use the majority of the lesson doing what he wants now, but this is how I managed my new lesson material early on.
Last edited by Shallon Dark at Feb 19, 2009,
I really like that idea, Shallon Dark. Most plans are probably set for younger students who have an hour or two every day. Being a working man, there are some weeks where I only practice 3 days or so. Good plan.
Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus w/ '60s neck
Ibanez JEM 7V
Jackson SL2H Soloist
PRS Singlecut SE
Marshall JVM410h
Marshall 1960a 4x12
Line 6 Pod x3 Live