I'm a (pretty much) complete beginner and have been playing for around a month. I can easily play Plug in Baby, Good Riddance (although I've not learned the chorus yet) and the likes and I'm starting to think about getting some form of pedal for fun.

What order do people recommend for getting pedals? I was thinking of getting a Vox Satchurator as the distortion on my amp isn't great and his sound is fantastic. What would then be the recommendation? Wah, whammy, delay?

Thanks in advance.

HH
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
all depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. a good overdrive or distortion is nice to have if you aren't happy with what your amp has. there are tons of different sounding distortion pedals though, ranging from vintage sounds all the way up to heavy metal sounds, so it depends on the type of music you want to play.
My music taste is, frankly, all over the place. I've been playing some Muse, some Metallica, The Killers, eventually a bit of Joe Satriani, although not for some time yet, Scorpions.

Thanks.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
I just read something in GW about the Satchurator,(AWESOME WORD), they said it gives the sound of an amp enough distortion and could go over the top. If the distortion sounds like, maybe a JSX, that would be a good buy.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
I'd get a cheap multi-effects pedal or borrow one from a friend, so you can have a mess around with a variety of effects before getting something pretty specific (as a lot of pedals are) that can only do a limited sound (albeit very well).

*edit* If you're just looking for a single pedal though, I'd go for a distortion pedal- I've no idea as to which pedals are good for what music, but I'm guessing a digital pedal'd be better than an analogue if you play a wide range of music.
Last edited by MopMaster at Feb 19, 2009,
if you have a bad amp with bad overdrive, then it will not sound much better when you buy a overdrive pedal. I would go for a better amp than
as far as actual order once you get into playing alot-that all depends on what kind of set up you have.

When I started out playing I had a little 15 watt amp and a fuzz pedal. sounded horrid.

after I got into playing more I got my 6505, and I'm happy with the lead channel-so I don't really need a distortion pedal. The only pedals that I own now is an ISP decimator, which is a noise suppressor, and a pedal for tuning onstage. I'll probably eventually look into getting a decent reverb or delay pedal.

Oh and yeah-a cheap multi effects would be beneficial, so you can mess with all sorts of sounds. when i first started playing a friend of mine let me borrow his digitech. you can even buy some of those with an expression pedal built in.
Last edited by anulty09 at Feb 19, 2009,
Quote by Mr.brownstone93
if you have a bad amp with bad overdrive, then it will not sound much better when you buy a overdrive pedal. I would go for a better amp than

Its not so much that the OD is bad, just imprecise. I find its more a case of off or on as opposed to a little bit, a bit more, lots. Soundwise the amp is pretty nice, its just the OD lets it down hence thinking of something a little better and just running the amp clean.

Edit: How much would I be looking at for a multi-FX pedal? I was thinking a Satchurator (£75) and then ~£50 on another one as its my birthday coming up fairly soon.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Last edited by Hidden Hippo at Feb 19, 2009,
Quote by Hidden Hippo
Its not so much that the OD is bad, just imprecise. I find its more a case of off or on as opposed to a little bit, a bit more, lots. Soundwise the amp is pretty nice, its just the OD lets it down hence thinking of something a little better and just running the amp clean.

Edit: How much would I be looking at for a multi-FX pedal? I was thinking a Satchurator (£75) and then ~£50 on another one as its my birthday coming up fairly soon.

Hmmm, multi-fx pedals can be a complete change to your rig. I was playing around with my Rocktron Utopia on my tube amp, and honestly, the tone is good. If you are looking for those prices, You can get a Boss ME-20, Line 6 floor pod, some types of Digitechs, and other Boss's. Have fun trying them at guitar stores.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Thanks for that Stevo - just had a look and it seems like a pretty decent unit to me. What effects has it got, the link wasn't exactly clear? I like the idea of being able to footswitch easily between 3 presets for different parts of songs, presumably you can set one up to be clean, one slight distortion and then lots.

Thanks again.

Edit: Turns out I'm completely blind - just had a google and found everything I needed to know. How good are the effects on multi-effect units compared to standalone items? I know that modelling amps, whilst giving an approximation of the real sound, aren't completely accurate. Is this the same with a multi-effect pedal or do they have dedicated systems for each effect which you can just switch between?
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
multi effects arent as good as single units, but they are tons cheaper and something like the ME-50 which is fairly high end will still sound really good
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
How much would I be looking at to get the same effects quality on the ME-50 in single pedals? I'm guessing an awful lot given the expression pedal.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
If the overdrive isnt good, then you first should look out for a decent overdrive/distortion pedal. (EHX metal muff?)
Then the most used and utile pedals are (more or less in this order): delay, reverb, EQ, tuner, wah, boost, compressor, chorus, phaser, flanger, tremolo, ...
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
You're honestly better off gettin a new amp first - there's no point buying a pedal that cost nearly as much as your amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You're honestly better off gettin a new amp first - there's no point buying a pedal that cost nearly as much as your amp.

Substantially more to be precise.

I understand entirely where you're coming from, but at the moment I'm more interested in being able to play around with the sound via a pedal/pedals than getting a second amp. The sound is fine (to my untrained ear) at the moment, it is just lacking in the OD department. I also have space considerations in that I've got to keep an amp at uni and transport it to a from every so often, meaning a high quality amp would be a pain in the backside. I'd love a nice tube amp, but right now its not really an option.

In all likelihood, when I decide to get a new amp I will go all out and spend £500+ on it. At the moment given that my other main hobby (archery) is requiring a large investment to be made in the near future (~£700) I don't really have the cash to be spending on a new amp and some effects.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai