Hi, as you may have seen from my last couple of threads over the last few days, I've been looking for an amp to replace my Laney VC15. I've had the amp a while, and I've never been able to get the right tone I want out of it: it just isn't modern enough. It's too suited for classic rock, and I need something voiced more for the things I play such as hit the lights, mayday parade, all time low, paramore etc.

I'm looking for an amp which I could get for about £300 used, and preferably 30 watts or less.

My ideal tone is something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBAHNV4-DOQ

(ignore the video, i didnt make it)

Would a Laney LC30 do this kind of sound well, without pedals?
I've looked online and seen different kinds of LC30s (LC30-II/MkII for example) what's different?

Any other info/tips would be helpful. thanks
Last edited by doubtfull at Feb 19, 2009,
From what I hear, whilst the LC30 is louder, it has a lower gain-to-volume ratio.

If you can find one, get a second hand VC50. That'll definitely do what you're looking for and you're not gonna be looking at a huge increase in price.
404: Sig not found.
Last edited by ChrisN at Feb 19, 2009,
Quote by michal23
The LC30 will sound pretty similar to the LC15...

Yes I know... Your point ? :S
Quote by ChrisN
From what I hear, whilst the LC30 is louder, it has a lower gain-to-volume ratio.

If you can find one, get a second hand VC50. That'll definitely do what you're looking for and you're not gonna be looking at a huge increase in price.

Doesn't the VC50 have the same voicing as the VC15 though? And 50 watts would probably be too much for me, I'm afraid: I need it for home practice as well as practicing with my band.
Last edited by doubtfull at Feb 19, 2009,
Not exactly. The VC50 is the combo version of the VC100; much seperate from the VC15 and VC30.
It will have some similarities but it's a very different beast.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by ChrisN
Not exactly. The VC50 is the combo version of the VC100; much seperate from the VC15 and VC30.

Ah, okay. Still, I think that 50 watts really would be too loud for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
An LC30 would do Paramore pretty well.

It's a great amp....although i didn't get to try it too loud.
Had to keep it at around 2 which nearly blew my ears out.

It should have enough gain for what you need and has that "modern" voicing as well.
Quote by unet
An LC30 would do Paramore pretty well.

It's a great amp....although i didn't get to try it too loud.
Had to keep it at around 2 which nearly blew my ears out.

It should have enough gain for what you need and has that "modern" voicing as well.

Okay, thanks for the help! I haven't been able to find a local dealer so I can try the amp yet, but you think I should be able to get the tones I want on it?
Quote by doubtfull
Okay, thanks for the help! I haven't been able to find a local dealer so I can try the amp yet, but you think I should be able to get the tones I want on it?

You should though Laney's LC range is designed to have a more modern american style sound, as opposed to the British style sound of the VC range. They'll have more of a boutique-style sound, which will sound better with a bit of drive (but all tube amps do) and it should nail what you want. Look at some video's of people playing them on youtube or better yet try one out, they can get some quite high gain sound if you want from what i've seen on there.

I'd reccomend laney amps to anyone though, i think they're great!

Where do you live anyway, states or uk, because it's alot easier to find this side of the pond.
Last edited by Road Eyes at Feb 19, 2009,
I'm not sure an LC30 would do the tone in that video particularly well (without pedals), its not tight enough. I have one.
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by doubtfull
Yes I know... Your point ? :S

Sorry, I thought it said LC15 in the original post >_<
Quote by GHJ
I'm not sure an LC30 would do the tone in that video particularly well (without pedals), its not tight enough. I have one.

Ah, right. Any suggestions on a different amp?
Quote by ChrisN

the VC100 is a combo too, just s00per rare, its basically the combo version of the VH100r. its fairly similar to the 50 though and theyre both nothing like the 15 and 30

also: suggestions for a different amp: marshall DSL401, bugera JCM900 clone if it ever gets released
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
the VC100 is a combo too, just s00per rare, its basically the combo version of the VH100r. its fairly similar to the 50 though and theyre both nothing like the 15 and 30

also: suggestions for a different amp: marshall DSL401, bugera JCM900 clone if it ever gets released

I thought of the DSL401 actually as the guitarists from paramore use them + mesa dual rectifiers. I might try it out at my local guitar shop and see if i can get a second hand one. And this bugera amp... does it not have a set release date?
Quote by doubtfull
I thought of the DSL401 actually as the guitarists from paramore use them + mesa dual rectifiers. I might try it out at my local guitar shop and see if i can get a second hand one. And this bugera amp... does it not have a set release date?

as far as i'm aware theyre just "new for 09"

Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
as far as i'm aware theyre just "new for 09"

Hmm, I'll have to keep a look out for it. Any idea of the model name?
the lc30, from what i can remember, sounds quite a bit more modern than the vc15. no idea if it'd be modern enough for you, but it'd be worth a try, i guess.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the lc30, from what i can remember, sounds quite a bit more modern than the vc15. no idea if it'd be modern enough for you, but it'd be worth a try, i guess.

Yeah, I'm gonna try a few amps anyway so I might as well see what it is like, assuming I can find a local dealer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?