Page 1 of 4
Lately here at UG there have been quite a few changes, mostly for the benefit of the users. The Community Page is flourishing with the newest in user content, and now we want to look in to offering more.

If you're familiar with the Underground system you'll know that we're comprised of several different groups. I'm here representing the Musician's Guild with a little competition for you. It's our take on an idea originally brought here by Archeo Avis and adapted by Freepower later on. We're going to be hosting a Composition Competition.

The Rules:
Competitors are to make an original piece of music inspired by the above picture.
Competitors do not need to sign-up, just get your entry to us.
Entries can be either profile mp3s or guitar pro files.
The competition deadline is one month from today. 19/03/2009
There are no time or instrument restrictions at current.
Users can only submit one entry, so choose carefully if you think you're ready to submit of not.

The Benefits To You:
Feature in a selected spot on the Community Page.
Feature on the about section of the Musician's Guild.
The competitor and their work will recieve greater publicity via the threads.

How To Enter:
Compose your piece, either in guitar pro or mp3 format, and attach it to any of the three running threads. They are here at the Musician Talk area, in the Riffs & Recordings area and the Musician's Guild itself. Entries that are not submitted to the Musician's Guild will be moved there, by us, just prior to judging. Thus, it is not necessary to post in all areas, just the one most convenient to you.

Well happy composing people. Myself and others from the Musician's Guild will be throwing out a few ideas as we go that won't be judged, just to show that we're having fun with it too. Plenty of ideas have been flying around after all.

If you have any questions just ask in any of the threads. We'll be happy to help. Any further questions can also be addressed to my e-mail, tom.colohue@ultimate-guitar.com
Last edited by Colohue at Feb 20, 2009,
We had a rule for length at first, but we thought it would be limiting to your creativity... so we left it out. Feel free to make it as long as you want! Or short
I might just get in on this.

Am I right in saying that any instruments are allowed within the piece, as long as guitar/bass is one of them?
404: Sig not found.
^^ I'm pretty sure the only restriction is that it is your interpretation of the picture in the first post. So if your interpretation of that picture is just a solo bagpipe performance then that's all you'll need.

EDIT: oops too slow
Si
Quote by ChrisN
I might just get in on this.

Am I right in saying that any instruments are allowed within the piece, as long as guitar/bass is one of them?

You don't even need guitar/bass, that's not a requirement either... this is UG, so more than 90% of the submissions will contain some form of guitar, but that doesn't mean you can't be original and "stand out" by not having any guitar in your piece
I pretty much thought that'd be the reply, good good!
FL Studio will get some work this evening then
You have all month.

I am revising the rules to add in a couple of things. For example, users can submit multiple entries, but they must highlight the one they wish judged by the end of the month.
I'm in.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I'm in as well.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Colohue
You have all month.

I am revising the rules to add in a couple of things. For example, users can submit multiple entries, but they must highlight the one they wish judged by the end of the month.

Let's simplify that rule: one submission per person, period.
But don't worry, there will be plenty of competitions if this one works out, so you'll have plenty of chances to show off your work!
Quote by ZeGuitarist
But don't worry, there will be plenty of competitions if this one works out, so you'll have plenty of chances to show off your work!

I agree, 1 submission per person, so everyone gets a chance.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
This looks like fun. See you guys in a month.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I'm in once I get the new version of Finale.

Also, are vocals allowed? I probably won't have them but I was just curious.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Last edited by aetherspear at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by aetherspear
I'm in once I get the new version of Finale.

Also, are vocals allowed? I probably won't have them but I was just curious.

Vocals are allowed, yes.
Quote by ZeGuitarist

But does that mean we can't post it here asking for people's advice?
Quote by 12345abcd3
But does that mean we can't post it here asking for people's advice?

We'll consider some way of highlighting the final piece. I think discussion is important, as I'm sure some people here could be very helpful.

For now, give it a number at the end. For example, if it's half done, name it something like 'song 0.5.'
d@mmit i wish i wasn't so busy. i might have to make time somehow i already had awesome ideas for this.
mm i may have to video mine and then rip the audio from youtube seeing as i dont have any recording equipment, ahh well, should be fun.
Hey, sounds pretty cool, you can count me in.

Also, is that a real picture? Looks interesting, if it is real can you tell where the picture was taken.
Quote by z4twenny
d@mmit i wish i wasn't so busy. i might have to make time somehow i already had awesome ideas for this.

Well if you don't find time for this one, chances are there'll be more coming.

The picture is supposedly a sunset over the north pole.
Quote by Viking_Panda
Hey, sounds pretty cool, you can count me in.

Also, is that a real picture? Looks interesting, if it is real can you tell where the picture was taken.

I'm pretty sure it's not real.
Quote by michal23

It doesn't really matter, does it? I'm sure even a "fake" picture can induce some sort of general "theme" or "emotion" to inspire you...
Quote by ZeGuitarist
It doesn't really matter, does it? I'm sure even a "fake" picture can induce some sort of general "theme" or "emotion" to inspire you...

Sure, I'm just answering the question.
Quote by michal23

That's why I answered with 'supposedly.'

Still, it's a beautiful picture, so I decided to use it. We'll consider carefully the next picture once this competition is complete. Perhaps we'll ask for the winner's opinion, who knows?
what programs do people use to record their intstrument of choice with? I didn't enter the last one of these that Freepower done because my recording was bollocks

I'd like very much to enter this one though.
You can record in Audacity (a very basic, but free audio recording/editing program), or something like Cakewalk or Cubase (very expensive but very advanced software).

The quality of your recording depends mostly on your hardware, though (audio interface or whatever)... what are you using?
Well that's one competition uploaded and out the way.. now I can get started on this one!
I've been waiting for something like this to happen shouldn't this thread be stickied, dont you guys think?
And i've a question aswell: Is it considered a loss if the song is composed on guitar pro? since my recording equipment is somewhat limited.. nonexistent really if i dont count my oldschool tape recorder
Page 1 of 4