Lately here at UG there have been quite a few changes, mostly for the benefit of the users. The Community Page is flourishing with the newest in user content, and now we want to look in to offering more.

If you're familiar with the Underground system you'll know that we're comprised of several different groups. I'm here representing the Musician's Guild with a little competition for you. It's our take on an idea originally brought here by Archeo Avis and adapted by Freepower later on. We're going to be hosting a Composition Competition.

The Rules:
Competitors are to make an original piece of music inspired by the above picture.
Competitors do not need to sign-up, just get your entry to us.
Entries can be either profile mp3s of guitar pro files.
The competition deadline is one month from today. 19/03/2009

The Benefits To You:
Feature in a selected spot on the Community Page.
Feature on the about section of the Musician's Guild.
The competitor and their work will recieve greater publicity via the threads.

How To Enter:
Compose your piece, either in guitar pro or mp3 format, and attach it to any of the three running threads: this thread, at the Musician Talk area, or in the Musician's Guild Competition Thread . Entries that are not submitted to the Musician's Guild will be moved there, by us, just prior to judging. Thus, it is not necessary to post in all areas, just the one most convenient to you.

Well happy composing people. Myself and others from the Musician's Guild will be throwing out a few ideas as we go that won't be judged, just to show that we're having fun with it too. Plenty of ideas have been flying around after all.

If you have any questions just ask in any of the threads. We'll be happy to help.
Last edited by ZeGuitarist at Feb 19, 2009,
A few minor additions have been made to the rules thus far:

There are no time or instrument restrictions at current.
Users can submit multiple entries into the threads. However, they must choose only one, and highlight it so that we're aware of it, before the end of the competition.
Quote by Colohue
Users can submit multiple entries into the threads. However, they must choose only one, and highlight it so that we're aware of it, before the end of the competition.

Let's simplify that rule: one submission per person, period.
But don't worry, there will be plenty of competitions like this one if it works out... so you'll have plenty of chances to show off your work!
This sounds great, I'll have a go at it. You didn't mention any genre restrictions so I'm assuming there aren't any? Just to let you know mine will be metal.
If you can write a metal song about the above picture, go ahead, I'd like to hear the result of that!
Sounds fun, i'll be submitting in the beginning of next month.
all roads lead to rome
We've received our first entry. If anybody would like to listen to it it's available in the Musician's Guild topic. There's a link in the first post.

Don't worry if things aren't going too smoothly right now. You still have until March 19th to get your entries ready. Happy composing people.
Does it need to have singing with it?

Mine would most probably just be guitar.. would that be okay?

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
I'll say it again: if it isn't in the rules, it's fine... we support creativity in this contest
Quote by ZeGuitarist
I'll say it again: if it isn't in the rules, it's fine... we support creativity in this contest

Okay I'll get to work right away. Thank you

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Thanks to everybody submitting! We have a couple of entries already, and I must say some of them are quite awesome indeed... please, everybody who has an urge to create their own piece of work and have a go at that first prize, don't hesitate to enter!
I've finally finished my track! The middle section (1:39 - 4:02) is actually something I came up with a while ago, but the clean intro, the bit after it, and the end parts are all inspired by the picture. I also added a solo in the scale of the intro, on top of part of the middle section. It is in my profile, titled 'Nomadic Soul': http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/12Jim34/music/
I'll take part. Currently working on a song that actually kind of fits this. I just need to do some lyrical editing.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by bulletrocks522
Here is my song that I wrote for my 7th grade talent show inspired by the pic.

That's actually pretty awesome. With the right production it could be an awesome piece; very In Flames like.
Last edited by helraizer at Mar 2, 2009,
Quote by helraizer
That's actually pretty awesome. With the right production it could be an awesome piece; very In Flames like.

Thanks!!!!
What do we reckon the average length for each piece will be? I'm gonna take a shot but i don't know if i'll be able to get 5 minutes out in 2 weeks of working round exams etc.
I thought I'd post my song here too,
I really hope people will dig it

just a guitarpro file, with midi attached, so nothing fancy recording and stuff, since I only have a guitar, a mic, and nothing else to finish that song since it has more piano than anything else
Attachments:
Frozen fires.zip
heres a metal track, it always sounded "arctic" to me so this picture made me want to finish it, you can download it/hear it here :

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=464199&songID=7037254
OH, wtf. Only two days left till the deadline.

WHY WASN'T I INFORMED OF THIS?!

I had no idea this subway existed until now.
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Mar 17, 2009,
i know you said either MP3 or guitar pro but for some effin' reason i can't seem to get it on this site. everytime i try to upload it, theres one problem or another. i have it on youtube(which it also wouldnt load for a while). i hope thats alright. if not, oh well. y'all can just tell me what you think anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5GBQGcNfus
Quote by bulletrocks522
Here is my song that I wrote for my 7th grade talent show inspired by the pic.

Bump, for judging
If you follow the new thread named 'UG CC -Pre-Judging' you'll see that we're beginning the judging very soon as soon as all entries are confirmed.
Quote by ultimate-slash
I thought I'd post my song here too,
I really hope people will dig it

just a guitarpro file, with midi attached, so nothing fancy recording and stuff, since I only have a guitar, a mic, and nothing else to finish that song since it has more piano than anything else

That's really cool!